Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Sep 2002, 04:04 (Ref:384568)   #26
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and inside a full face helmet.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 04:08 (Ref:384570)   #27
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is? a red nose?
Old 21 Sep 2002, 11:19 (Ref:385296)   #28
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweet ride !! How are bike riders treated in Oz ?? Here, sadly , 4 wheelers don't pay much attention to bikes , and tears,or worse, are the result . I'm not a bike rider, but I try my best to keep an eye out for them.

Alan
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:49 (Ref:386528)   #29
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I prefer the photo without the rider

Went to a Ducati day a week and a half ago. Full of wonderful bikes. Felt silly turning up in a car but my dad didn't bring his bike.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 11:52 (Ref:386530)   #30
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And fast95pony, in general bike riders are treated just as bad. Mind you some bike riders deserve it as there are a few that can be considered temporary Australians after having done things like squeeze between cars at over 80km/h.

The majority of riders though are considerate, courteous and a hell of a lot more observant and generally better than car drivers.

Good on you for keeping an eye out too, most don't and that causes a large number of accidents.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 13:55 (Ref:388054)   #31
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
I prefer the photo without the rider
Not me. What is beauty without the beast?

congrats, 'moff. I'm green.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 21:48 (Ref:388438)   #32
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good one Neil,

On the subject of how motorcyclists are treated. Elephino is pretty well right. Up to six weeks ago I have riden to work each day, then for pleasure on the weekend. I've been riding for 20 years.

The best bit of advice I could give is not to trust anyone else. Especially that they have seen you. My observation is most people don't look in their mirrors. And those that do - do so every 20 seconds or so, not every four.

I really go blue in the face trying to tell people that at all times. They need to know what is around them. The green car behind in the lane, the white car about to over take in the lane on their right.

As a rider I take responsibility for others not seeing me by positioning myself out of harms way as much as possible. I haven't had any trouble from car drivers, you know any aggro at lights or anything. I try to keep my distance, don't even bother to lane split any more. Speed when it is safe to do so, not in town.

I also think that riding has made me a better, more observant driver.

That's my rambling thoughts on the subject.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 20:18 (Ref:393404)   #33
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Things I learned on a motorcycle:
1. Take nothing for granted; weather, grip, traffic, and don't assume the other guy sees you.
2. Plan two moves ahead and concentrate on what's down the road, not right in front of you. If you concentrate only on what's immediately in front of you, it's too late to do anything about it.
3. Don't fixate on obstacles. Try it yourself on a bike or motorbike. If you focus on a pothole you want to miss, at speed it becomes almost physically impossible to miss it. Instead, focus on the route you will take around the obstacle. It works. Kind of like life. If you fixate on the obstacle instead of focusing on getting around or over it, you can be damn sure you'll run right into it.

Those are my rambling thoughts.

Is lane splitting legal in Oz? In the US it is only legal in California. Probably the last state in which I'd want to try it!
Old 2 Oct 2002, 11:42 (Ref:393921)   #34
elephino
Veteran

Lane splitting is not legal in Aus but most riders do it anyway.

And Neil, those 3 things you learned go for car driving too, it's just most drivers never seem to learn them.

Last edited by elephino; 2 Oct 2002 at 11:42.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 00:24 (Ref:396114)   #35
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi there Moff, stumbled upon this by accident, glad to see the bike shots finally. Hey, I saw a flat black 750 the other day, new one, didn't catch the model name, but was surprised that it only had one front disk. Is this an "econo" model. Anyway, the flat paint job was pretty unique.

As for your and Neils' ramblings, all right on the money. I too have always gone with the attitude that you must assume that the cars don't see you, and always think ahead for a way out, which was basically what Neil was saying. Being over a bit in a lane in case someone pulls out of that sidestreet, constantly scanning and processing surface conditions so you know with how much force you can skirt something or just how much you can jam on the brakes, finger on horn, it's all stuff that has to be second nature if you want to keep the odds down.
Neil, your object fixation thing is right on, it's like the old rule of never watching the guy in front of you going off the track because before you know it, you'll be following his line.

And Moff, I also agree completely that having done much more motorcycle driving than car early on definately made me a better car driver, for the scanning habits and thinking ahead, not to mention developing the necessary seat of the pants feelers for front and back traction limits and when you're starting to get close to them.

deej
Old 5 Oct 2002, 04:15 (Ref:396159)   #36
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, on the subject of riders spliting lanes, let me decribe a recent accident a friend of mine was involved in.

She was making a right hand turn, across a divided road, with 3 lanes. It was peak hour trafic, and due to a red light, the trafic she was crossing was banked up, however she had a clear turn due to the fact all 3 lanes were stopped and there was a "keep clear" sign painted on the road.

So like any of us, she slowly proceeded with the turn, with the knowledge (and the best vision available at night) that all 3 lanes had stopped to let her through.

Then of course "Bang". A bike rider had come between the lanes and hit the side of her car. The bike was a 'right off', and the rider (fortunatly) recieved minor injuries.

However, my friend was then charged (by a reluctent cop) with failing to five way, and another charge (which I can't recall. Obvioulsy she was blammed for the accident and her insurance company had to pay damages.

Now, traditionally, I believe riders get the short end of the stick, and personally, I have no problem with them going between lanes, I would. However, when doing this, I think they should have the responsibility of making sure drivers see them.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 14:23 (Ref:396345)   #37
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
the rider (fortunatly) recieved minor injuries.
You are a cruel, cruel man, Wrexy.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 14:31 (Ref:396347)   #38
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The word "only" might have been useful there huh?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 03:06 (Ref:396669)   #39
elephino
Veteran

The other charge was probably negligent driving.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 10:25 (Ref:396763)   #40
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
And the sound from the less restrictive Staintune pipes. Bellissimo.
Less restrictive ... lesser restrictive ... no restriction?

http://www.onewest.net/~ckirk/Bikes/...rs/Cerce/7.jpg

(this is an ST2 as well btw)

Last edited by woodyracing; 15 Oct 2002 at 11:52.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:41 (Ref:397181)   #41
Airhead
Veteran

Interesting exhaust system. The idea seems to have come from a Buell. Ground clearance over speed humps?

Is the bike yours Dino?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:51 (Ref:397186)   #42
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Nice Bike, AM. Have you tried the road up to Glen Innes? I am not going to post anything else for fear of encouraging you to do something silly.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 23:54 (Ref:397207)   #43
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No bikes for me, Moff, very tempting but no. The picture is from a Ducati ST2/4 owner's site. This set-up surely resembles the Buell-tube. It has more disadvantages I guess, the sound must be too much too stand, or is this Duc-block quiter than the 916's (other ignition?)?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 03:37 (Ref:397270)   #44
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
also looks like you might want to be careful where you put your ankle, especially if not boot-clad.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 08:55 (Ref:397339)   #45
Airhead
Veteran

Deej,

The 750S you saw is the stripper of the Supersport range. Matt Black seems to be the new red for Italian bikes. They do look good, same engine as the 750 SS just lesser spec brakes and suspension.

New for next year the 750 SS becomes a 800, while the 900 SS becomes a 1000! Not sure of the actual capacity of the motor though.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 17:05 (Ref:397679)   #46
djb
Veteran

I don't know, having a good chassis, and putting just one disk on the front is kinda silly IMO, but then I guess it's a marketing/price range thing.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 20:51 (Ref:397856)   #47
Airhead
Veteran

There is the school of thought that one disc is less unsprung weight and is a performance advantage.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 16:59 (Ref:398486)   #48
djb
Veteran

My real life experience with that as I recall was fork flex with one disk, as apposed to two, but then it could have been the specific bikes, plus the fact that it was way back in the dark ages, and I'm sure that the combination of better, stiffer forks etc today makes a huge difference. (tho I still think just one looks wimpy)
Old 9 Oct 2002, 10:38 (Ref:399124)   #49
Airhead
Veteran

Yep, looks wimpy, agreed.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 17:21 (Ref:399502)   #50
djb
Veteran