Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3239613)   #76
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Just great !
Chris,is that the ex Peter Wardle car?

Was there a problem with the 100S Healey?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3239615)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the day there wasn't a choice. Sorry, but they just look sooooo out of place,spoils the image.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3239629)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Back in the day there wasn't a choice. Sorry, but they just look sooooo out of place,spoils the image.
Balderdash Terry. They look nowhere near as out of place as a smashed face or broken nose. If you want to see cars racing come to a race meeting and give the drivers suitable modern protection, if you want to recreate a pastiche of 1950s life go to a museum.

But you may think me biased
Old 26 Apr 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3239632)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Middle line hear- I wear open face in closed cars and full face otherwise.

Where some historic drivers go wrong IMHO (please note), is by having modern garish colour schemes on their headgear. A plain white full face looks less out of place to me in an old racer than some airbrushed F1/MotoGP style dome.....

Max- you're biased!
Old 26 Apr 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3239643)   #80
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Chris,is that the ex Peter Wardle car?
No I think that was MG engined.

[/QUOTE]
Was there a problem with the 100S Healey? [/QUOTE]

Dont know if there was, it wasnt that quick but only very well developed ones would be quick.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3239647)   #81
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Balderdash Terry. They look nowhere near as out of place as a smashed face or broken nose. If you want to see cars racing come to a race meeting and give the drivers suitable modern protection, if you want to recreate a pastiche of 1950s life go to a museum.

But you may think me biased
I f you don't want a bashed up nose, why race an old car?

But I am very definitely biased, bigotted as well
Old 26 Apr 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3239680)   #82
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I f you don't want a bashed up nose, why race an old car?

But I am very definitely biased, bigotted as well
Not sure if you can race an open face in an open car without goggles & if you use goggles your vision is restricted, (not to mention sweat) so if you dont have goggles (and I dont) you have to use a full face helmet.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3239687)   #83
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure if you can race an open face in an open car without goggles & if you use goggles your vision is restricted, (not to mention sweat) so if you dont have goggles (and I dont) you have to use a full face helmet.
I just can't understand how Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Juan Fangio etc. managed all those years ago, it must have been a real struggle for the poor chaps.

Ah! But of course they didn't wear Nomex knickers, balaclava helmets, fireman's gloves and padded boiler suits. Not even a seat belt to keep them in.

That explains it.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3239700)   #84
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of the three you mention, one is dead and one only just got away with his life. QED

(Oh OK I know Hawthorn died in a road accident but that's just being pedantic! Substitute Collins, von Tripps, Behra ad infinitum, all in accidents that would be survivable today)
Old 26 Apr 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3239707)   #85
bauble
Veteran

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Of the three you mention, one is dead and one only just got away with his life. QED

(Oh OK I know Hawthorn died in a road accident but that's just being pedantic! Substitute Collins, von Tripps, Behra ad infinitum, all in accidents that would be survivable today)
You really should not take any notice of a crusty Old Git like me, but I still would LIKE to see open face helmets with or without goggles in historic cars.

Anyway what's wrong with a cloth cap worn backwards?

One thing I really hate is the ridiculous scaffolding on some historic cars. A roll over bar is one thing but several feet of pipe work sticking up at the back is ................. well ....................*&£$"!^%£
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3239728)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
You really should not take any notice of a crusty Old Git like me, but I still would LIKE to see open face helmets with or without goggles in historic cars.

One thing I really hate is the ridiculous scaffolding on some historic cars. A roll over bar is one thing but several feet of pipe work sticking up at the back is ................. well ....................*&£$"!^%£
Re first sentence, We don't. Re last paragraph, I expect that a lot of scaffolding is required by regulations rather than through driver choice. Agree it can be ugly......
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3239730)   #87
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
Quote:

is the ridiculous scaffolding on some historic cars. A roll over bar is one thing but several feet of pipe work sticking up at the back is ................. well ....................*&£$"!^%£
would love to race in cloth cap backwards & shorts sleeved shirt as you could not so very long ago - those days are over though.

As Mike says its regulation driven but may also be the other half making decisions or just the value of the driver to his board or insurance company driven.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 26 Apr 2013 at 18:37.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3239733)   #88
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
I just can't understand how Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorn, Juan Fangio etc. managed all those years ago, it must have been a real struggle for the poor chaps.

Ah! But of course they didn't wear Nomex knickers, balaclava helmets, fireman's gloves and padded boiler suits. Not even a seat belt to keep them in.

That explains it.

Obviously those were REAL men,not used to central heating type comforts of home. Or,come to that,race harnesses [Put that in for that biased person]
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3239737)   #89
bauble
Veteran

England
Yeah! I know it is just dreaming, but one of the most impressive performances I have witnessed in many years, was that of John Young and Nick Wrigley driving the Cooper- Bristol in last years '9 Hour Recreation' at the Revival meeting. I was looking at the car in the paddock the next day and it was just like it was when Tony Crook raced it in the fifties. No roll cage/bars, seat belts, flimsy alloy bodywork, and they drove it flat out for ninety minutes! Around one of the dodgiest circuits in the country! (safety wise). Second to a C-Type, two very brave men.

(See I am not always crusty, sometimes I'm just an Old Git)

Is anybody out there?

Kind regards to anyone who does not take offence.

bauble.
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3239739)   #90
bauble
Veteran

England
Perspective; I should mention that I saw the likes of Moss, Hawthorn, Fangio et al race many times (I've actually spoken to all three). I still grieve those who died racing, they were my heroes so pardon me if I ride a tall horse sometimes.

Bob.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3239910)   #91
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah! I know it is just dreaming, but one of the most impressive performances I have witnessed in many years, was that of John Young and Nick Wrigley driving the Cooper- Bristol in last years '9 Hour Recreation' at the Revival meeting. I was looking at the car in the paddock the next day and it was just like it was when Tony Crook raced it in the fifties. No roll cage/bars, seat belts, flimsy alloy bodywork, and they drove it flat out for ninety minutes! Around one of the dodgiest circuits in the country! (safety wise). Second to a C-Type, two very brave men.

(See I am not always crusty, sometimes I'm just an Old Git)

Is anybody out there?

Kind regards to anyone who does not take offence.

bauble.
Completely agree, great drive! John Ure and Nick Wigley were both wearing full face helmets!

They were also in a sports car race, although there wheels weren't completely covered the rest in the race were. Chances of rolling are significantly lower than in a single seater race.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3239990)   #92
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Perspective; I should mention that I saw the likes of Moss, Hawthorn, Fangio et al race many times (I've actually spoken to all three). I still grieve those who died racing, they were my heroes so pardon me if I ride a tall horse sometimes.

Bob.

Carry on riding Bob,really not a problem.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3239991)   #93
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
One other thing if I wore my open face helmet, not sure if or how I would get my specs under a pair of goggles.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3240001)   #94
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
One other thing if I wore my open face helmet, not sure if or how I would get my specs under a pair of goggles.
For goodness sake Deebie, have you never heard of a visor?
Old 27 Apr 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3240004)   #95
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Carry on riding Bob,really not a problem.
Thank you Terence, it is nice to know that not [B]EVERYBODY[B] is tired of my constant whittering about the 'good old days'.

I may be one of the few surviving people who witnessed the accident at Le Mans in 1955, so you may understand that I do appreciate the dangers of motor sport, even to the extent of nearly being eliminated on a couple occasions by errant cars and loose wheels myself. Still love the sport and those who 'go down to the sea ........'

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:46 (Ref:3265893)   #96
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
George Abecassis Centenary Trophy Photos

Just realised that I didn't put any pics up of this race, so here are a few:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3347wb.jpg   IMG_3358wb.jpg   IMG_3363wb.jpg  

IMG_3401wb.jpg   IMG_3421wb.jpg   IMG_3454wb.jpg  

Old 21 Jun 2013, 05:50 (Ref:3265894)   #97
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3459wb.jpg   IMG_3466wbc.jpg   IMG_3485wb.jpg  

IMG_3567wb.jpg   IMG_3572wb.jpg   IMG_3585wb.jpg