Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2002, 14:58 (Ref:249030)   #1
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf not serious about aggressive enough, dare I say talented enough, at Brazil

When Ralf drove such a good race and had the postion to win Brazil he really let it go twice.

He didn't push hard enough on his in laps and so was easily passed by his brother when in the pits. But then he closed up very quickly on the Ferrari and stayed there. With less than ten laps to go I was sure he would do something but he managed only a feable drag down lake decent before pulling back as if he were coming up on his team-mate.

Frank must be realising that Ralf will never challenge his brother with much aggression, and so will never be a contender for constructors or drivers championships.

Ralf is another person who will benefit greatly from taking out Michael this year in a race ending accident so as to restore some semblance of dignity. He is looking like a samurai shying from battle, perhaps from his own death, better to do and die, than skirt the battle only hacking at those already falling.

Passing in the pits does not count as passing your brother, Ralf!

I'd like to see JV have a go to, get some payback on Michael. Maybe he could announce it before hand so we can all talk about it. Then he could leave BAR with the public words of, "No sense in whipping a dead horse.."

I must admit it's the first thing I'd do, even if a back marker, for Senna, for Hill, for Jacques, for Mika, even for Ralf. "Michael I'd like you to meet 'Con Crete'..."
Old 1 Apr 2002, 15:06 (Ref:249035)   #2
NOX
Rookie

NOX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with a very small part of your post.
Yes, Ralf ruined his race win chance by not pounding laps fast enough before his pit stop.

However, I take issue that he was at fault for not passing the Ferrari. Montoya could not get past Button either (not sure if he tried, since I was watching the oblivious ITV coverage.

If you are tarring Montoya with the same brush as Ralf, then fair enough. However, I get the feeling your digs are only one sided.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:249044)   #3
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do get the impression that halfie isnt as agressive as he used to be.
maybe he has realised that he is not in the same league as big bro and JPM.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 15:56 (Ref:249070)   #4
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good or bad Halfie will never even try to overtake. Probably this time the F2002 was just too much but I certainly remember him in Spa 2001 when he was following Alesi in a much slower Jordan.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:23 (Ref:249121)   #5
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have said this in a number of posts but nobody seems to respond to it...Ralf is gutless...has anyone ever seen him make any kind of ballsy move EVER??? I have not once seen Ralph ever just go for it or stick his neck out whatsoever. He sits back passes extremely slow cars when he has to and will ALWAYS take the easy points when behind cars that can even remotely challenge him especially ig bro...ahhhhhh what a punk he doesn't deserve the Williams ride. And I bet Frank would have been a lot happier with the result if Jacques or Montoya was in Ralph's position. Grow some balls Ralph or get out of F1 now!!!!
Sorry I usually don't get so worked up
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:43 (Ref:249142)   #6
BBKing
Veteran

Just think about what happened to him a year ago in Brazil. He was in the same position as Formula Juan was this weekend. Halfie could not make his way to a scoring position. He spun 3 times while trying to overtake cars and ended up in the gravel in his last spin. See the difference?
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:47 (Ref:249144)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by NOX
However, I take issue that he was at fault for not passing the Ferrari. Montoya could not get past Button either (not sure if he tried, since I was watching the oblivious ITV coverage.

If you are tarring Montoya with the same brush as Ralf, then fair enough. However, I get the feeling your digs are only one sided.
I agree - no doubt the JPM fans choose to bypass the fact that JPM couldn't pass Button in a Renault (which, however good the Renault or Button is, it certainly isn't the same as trying to pass TGF in a Ferrari) because that would make him look bad. And God forbid we should have that...

I've said it many times - Ralf just cannot win around here. If he doesn't do well, he gets slagged off for not being perfect. If he does do well (like yesterday), he gets slagged off for not doing well enough. It's pathetic. Some of you lot were even having a go after Malaysia, even though he won the race by 40 seconds. That wasn't good enough either. There a some people here who need to get over this sad hang-up they have about Ralf.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:51 (Ref:249148)   #8
BBKing
Veteran

I think that Halfie would have finished second in Malaysia if Formula Juan or Schumacher would have survived Schumacher's undeesteer.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:52 (Ref:249149)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Just think about what happened to him a year ago in Brazil. He was in the same position as Formula Juan was this weekend. Halfie could not make his way to a scoring position. He spun 3 times while trying to overtake cars and ended up in the gravel in his last spin. See the difference?
As always, a one-sided view from a JPM fan leaving out the small detail of the fact that it was raining. But that would give your argument less credibility, hence your decision to omit it from your post.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:57 (Ref:249154)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
I think that Halfie would have finished second in Malaysia if Formula Juan or Schumacher would have survived Schumacher's undeesteer.
You must be blind or stupid then. The gap between Ralf and JPM (or should that be God?) was MORE than the amount of time JPM lost. And he wasn't even on the right strategy...just let that one go.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 17:57 (Ref:249155)   #11
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
to put it like a certain south park episode:

"Ralf has very small balls, Juan has Very BIG balls"

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 1 Apr 2002, 18:28 (Ref:249174)   #12
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I agree - no doubt the JPM fans choose to bypass the fact that JPM couldn't pass Button in a Renault (which, however good the Renault or Button is, it certainly isn't the same as trying to pass TGF in a Ferrari)
Montoya cut 0.5 secs per lap on Button's advantage !, he tried to get closer, but the Race was over.
He overtook Jenson twice in Malaysia.
Sorry, but this is the same story as Canada '01, when Ralf only made his Pit overtaking move on Michael. He doesn't even try to overtake him when both are fighting wheel to wheel. No WDC material...
Old 1 Apr 2002, 18:46 (Ref:249198)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Montoya cut 0.5 secs per lap on Button's advantage !, he tried to get closer, but the Race was over.
He overtook Jenson twice in Malaysia.
I'm not talking about Malaysia. I'm talking about Brazil. If we're talking about Malaysia, then might I just add that Ralf won that race? You know, as in finished first. But of course he's not "talented" according to Splatz. But yesterday, in the BRAZILIAN Grand Prix, your hero Montoya could not overtake Button.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 19:01 (Ref:249214)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What Ralf's Girl said.

Only louder.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 19:25 (Ref:249242)   #15
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:

I'm not talking about Malaysia. I'm talking about Brazil. If we're talking about Malaysia, then might I just add that Ralf won that race? You know, as in finished first. But of course he's not "talented" according to Splatz. But yesterday, in the BRAZILIAN Grand Prix, your hero Montoya could not overtake Button.
Speaking about stupids. Formula Juan ran out of time before he could attempt an overtaking move on Button. While halfie was sitting behing his bro for 22 laps. do you see the difference?

Take a look at Brazil 2001. Count how many times Halfie spun on that race. See his failed attempt to overtake a BAR. You might find it amuzing....LOL
Old 1 Apr 2002, 19:36 (Ref:249258)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking the people of this forum will do anything to put Ralf in a bad light! The guy drove a great race, and finished second...and you guys still have a problem??? He was never close enough to attempt a move on Michael that wouldn't have ended in tears... he just didn't have the speed where he needed it. If he had made a move and taken off a wing or something, would that have made you guys happier? Undoubtably... But he's a good driver, and more improtantly, he has a good head and wouldn't do something like that...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Apr 2002, 19:51 (Ref:249273)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not a Ralph fan, but really, he didn't have a chance to make the move. His car was pushing just a little bit on the corners in that flat-out complex... Probably aero wash off big bro's tail. He closed in on the front straight, but just couldn't get close enough. JPM _might_ have been able to pull it off, dropping his wheels on the outside exiting a corner, braking frighteningly late, such as only he and a handful of drivers can, but Ralph made the right call in his position, to hold onto second place points.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 20:11 (Ref:249289)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry to say, but parts of the Formula 1 board read like a tabloid newspaper at the minute.

Where's the issue HERE?? What do you want me to say?? That this topic isn't stupid??

What exactly was wrong with Ralf's performance today?? The only "talent he lacked" was that he wasn't as good as his brother. But then nobody is.

Right now Ralf is the #1 challenger to TGF. NOT Monty. NOT DC. Ralf. I am surprised. I wrote him off at the start of the season. But points don't lie.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 23:13 (Ref:249441)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

...Juan has Very BIG balls"
And a small mind to match...
Old 1 Apr 2002, 23:14 (Ref:249442)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Ralf not serious about aggressive enough, dare I say talented enough, at Brazil

Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
I'd like to see JV have a go to, get some payback on Michael. Maybe he could announce it before hand so we can all talk about it. Then he could leave BAR with the public words of, "No sense in whipping a dead horse.."

I must admit it's the first thing I'd do, even if a back marker, for Senna, for Hill, for Jacques, for Mika, even for Ralf. "Michael I'd like you to meet 'Con Crete'..."
I would like to submit this quote for the "Whats the point" competition please
Old 1 Apr 2002, 23:21 (Ref:249444)   #21
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Just think about what happened to him a year ago in Brazil. He was in the same position as Formula Juan was this weekend. Halfie could not make his way to a scoring position.
Quote:
As always, a one-sided view from a JPM fan leaving out the small detail of the fact that it was raining. But that would give your argument less credibility, hence your decision to omit it from your post.
Also omited was the fact that it was a rear Wing taken out.
Quote:
I've said it many times - Ralf just cannot win around here. If he doesn't do well, he gets slagged off for not being perfect. If he does do well (like yesterday), he gets slagged off for not doing well enough. It's pathetic. Some of you lot were even having a go after Malaysia, even though he won the race by 40 seconds.
And it won't change. I admit Ralf is'nt as exciting to watch as Monty is, and is less likely to go wheel-to-wheel with Michael, but he does score wins and points at every opportunity. And thats what Frank Williams pays him to do!!! He's not paid to entertain, he's paid to get results. And so far this year (and last year) Ralf has achieved that better than Monty. End of story.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 23:27 (Ref:249449)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan

"Ralf has very small balls, Juan has Very BIG balls"
And those balls better get used to sand I think.
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Sorry, but this is the same story as Canada '01, when Ralf only made his Pit overtaking move on Michael. He doesn't even try to overtake him when both are fighting wheel to wheel. No WDC material...
Would it have been smarter to make a desperate lunge and risk everything when you knew you'd nail him at the next pit stop. Any driver that would do that is an idiot, and not WDC material.

It has nothing to do with courage. Going wheel-to-wheel in a no win situation and being taken out is not ballsy, its stupid. Michael is the master of this, knowing when to go and when not to (usually), and Ralf is very similar. To finish 1st, 1st you have to finish.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 00:44 (Ref:249486)   #23
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly,ralf is nowhere near as agressive as he could(should?) be.He's one of those super gentle racers that WILL NOT slide off in the rain-just like rhubins.A very worthwhile driver,but not as fast as some.i think i'd put him overall just behind fisi & villenueve(at his best)for example but behind micheal,juan & hakinen.At least one could say he deserves his seat-something that can't be said for a few other'top' drivers.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 00:59 (Ref:249490)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf may not be as aggressive as some forum members out there think he should be, but you've got to admit he's got plenty of speed and talent. He has won 4 grand prix! And if he doesn't pass people, so what? Does he finish the race, usually on the podium?

Then fine, he's done the job asked of him by Sir Frank.

I'm not a big fan of Ralf but the Ralf-bashing is becoming quite ridiculous, and rather sad.
Old 2 Apr 2002, 01:01 (Ref:249491)   #25
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottom Line - Ralf is 2nd in the championship. He has 16 points from 2 finishes. He is ahead of his team mate and is at this point Schumachers number one contender in the championship standings.

Whether the die-hard Montoya fans like it nor not. Thats the truth. Facts are facts. I dont think anyone really cares about whether Ralf is as aggressive as any other driver. When he wins the championship at the end of the season - thats what the history books will say - World Champion Ralf Schumacher. No one gives a **** about who's more aggressive (or stupid for that matter). Though, given the evidence of the last 2 races, Montoya will easily win those two classifications hands down.