Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 May 2002, 05:27 (Ref:296345)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Car Decision

Well the time has come to sell the trusty old VP SS Commodore. More time and money needs to be channeled into the race car. But what to buy in the 4 cylinder segment of the market here in Australia. Working in a Fleet company I get to drive most new models that come onto the market. But it doesn't make the desicion any easier.

Last edited by Amaroo Park; 26 May 2002 at 05:29.
Old 26 May 2002, 09:27 (Ref:296412)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4 cylinder segment...hmm...I had a similar dilemma. But it depends on how much can be spent.

While I haven't driven it, it appears the Holden Barina is the best bet at the small end of the market, though they say the Clio is a good buy.

In the middle ($20k-ish), there are the Pulsar and 323, while not forgetting the Astra too. Out of them, I'd say the Astra. Don't bother with the laser as the 323 is identical in most ways and yet better. The Corolla has improved with the new model too.

A bit above that, and the segment I bought my car in, there is a lot to choose from. It depends on what you want though. If you want performance and space then you cannot go past the Impreza RS (my car ). Performance without space are the 206 GTi and Clio Sport. Then there is the Astra SRi but I found too many niggling problems with it for my liking but it drove ok and was cheaper. The other option is the 323 Astina SP20. Not a bad car, but not a match for the rest. Laser SR2, don't even bother.

Anything else?
Old 26 May 2002, 09:33 (Ref:296420)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah yes, I forgot the Vectra and Mondeo. You're better off with the others.

Liberty is a good car but if you're not worried about the extra space in it, and unless you're getting the B4, buy the Impreza RS.

Then there are the luxury cars. BMW 318i is nice but just not...I don't know, it just feels as though it is missing something (mainly performance). Audi A3 is ok and nicer in feel than the Golf but the Golf is cheaper but either way I could never get comfortable driving them. A4 looks good, haven't driven the current one though. Mercedes C180, buy the BMW. Lexus IS200 is a very nice car and good alternative to the BMW. Not as good from a handling perspective but still very good. Volvo S/V40, buy the Merc. Saab 9-3, buy the S40. Peugeot 406, buy the Saab..just kidding, the 406 is ok - about equal with the Saab from experience. Alfa 147 is ok and lots of fun to drive but some things just don't quite work right to have as an everyday car for me. Alfa 156 is a better looking, personally, 147 and slightly slower. That pretty much covers the basics.

Oh and I forgot to mention the Lancer before...and so should you.
Old 26 May 2002, 10:16 (Ref:296449)   #4
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how much are you selling the VP SS for?????
Old 26 May 2002, 12:22 (Ref:296534)   #5
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the value that you are allowed for this car?

i cant really say any more, elphino said it all (and better than i would have)

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 27 May 2002, 10:20 (Ref:297280)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holden Barina? This is the Vauxhall Corsa in the UK. If you like good handling, and progressive cornering, do not buy a Corsa/Barina.

I've got one, and... well, just don't!
Old 27 May 2002, 10:30 (Ref:297295)   #7
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just buy an old Torana and have some fun for a while. Must be almost time for a mid life crisis.

Last edited by Bomn; 27 May 2002 at 10:31.
Old 27 May 2002, 11:37 (Ref:297396)   #8
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden Barina = Vauxhall/Opel Corsa ?
i dont understand these car manufacturers, why not have the same name globally ??
Old 27 May 2002, 12:27 (Ref:297454)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

because they are stupid,

some people put Opel badges on euro Holdens here

05 - Peter Brock
Old 27 May 2002, 12:50 (Ref:297477)   #10
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woodyracing
Holden Barina = Vauxhall/Opel Corsa ?
i dont understand these car manufacturers, why not have the same name globally ??
We tried that but Aussies didn't like Vauxhall Vivas but Holden Toranas sold well!
Old 28 May 2002, 10:44 (Ref:298316)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
I have just been given a Pulsar Q to drive around for a week. At the moment I am pretty impressed but I will take it for a drive on the weekend and see how it goes
Old 28 May 2002, 11:38 (Ref:298373)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Colinbond in a Datsun?? What a sellout!

My regular road car is a Mondeo... solid car I spose, haven't really had any dramas with it (except it badly needs a wheel alignment...), and it's fairly simple to maintain... then again, I'd trade it for a Torana

The other family car is an A class Merc. Hrmmm, it's like a cross between a go-kart and a bus. After it took a year to run the engine in, it goes like a champion... so long as you keep your right foot planted at all times. Decent brakes, responsive steering, a paranoid inducing amount of body roll, fantastic in the wet, and sensational sequential shifty thing.... I wouldn't buy one though- people always look at you funny ("Hey buddy, you're suppose to leave the buggy at the golf course...")
Old 28 May 2002, 12:03 (Ref:298389)   #13
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you get a Datsun your friends won't talk to you!
Get a Barina they are fun on dirt! (Pity about the stone chips)
Old 28 May 2002, 12:20 (Ref:298396)   #14
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Bomn
Why not just buy an old Torana and have some fun for a while. Must be almost time for a mid life crisis.
Got the Torana. But no where near old enough for the midlife crisis yet
Old 29 May 2002, 03:20 (Ref:299065)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bondy, buy a Datsun and you will make a whole new bunch of friends. They come out of the woodwork. What sort of Torana do you have and is it the race car?

Seriously though, like the others here, I'm keen to help. What use will the new car be put to? How much luggage, how many passengers, how many miles, city or country and of course, the biggie, how much do you want to spend?
Old 29 May 2002, 05:45 (Ref:299100)   #16
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
Bondy, buy a Datsun and you will make a whole new bunch of friends. They come out of the woodwork. What sort of Torana do you have and is it the race car?

Seriously though, like the others here, I'm keen to help. What use will the new car be put to? How much luggage, how many passengers, how many miles, city or country and of course, the biggie, how much do you want to spend?
Thanks David. The Torana is an LJ XU1 which is in the process of becoming a Group NC car. I am in the fourtunate postion though if there is something I might like to try I just get the purchasing dept at work to get one in so I can drive it for a few days. The only really concern is that is around $20000.00. Other than that it is all pretty open. Oh and it must be manual.
Old 29 May 2002, 06:52 (Ref:299121)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW- if you want to see a pic of my Mondeo in "action" on a "racetrack" (with no driver behind the wheel....ekkkk!) go to p30 of this weeks Auto Action
Old 29 May 2002, 07:29 (Ref:299140)   #18
StuiE
Veteran

does it have to be a new car?

if not the N14 Pulsar SSS is pretty good

and stop dissin Nissans!

05 - Peter Brock
Old 29 May 2002, 08:09 (Ref:299163)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bondy, come over to the Racers' Foruma and tell us all about the Torana, i am VERY interested. Have you done any racing before.

I assume you're not planning to tow with your new 4 cylinder jigger. If it has to be new and under $20K, there's much to get excited about. Are you sure you want to sell the VP SS, they're a bloody nice car. I suppose the Holden Astra is the pick, but also look at the Corolla, Laser and Pulsar.

If it doesn't have to be new, I'm with GTR, try and find a nice N14 Pulsar SSS, or maybe an Impreza RX.
Old 29 May 2002, 08:57 (Ref:299217)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have any of you guys tried a VW Bora? I looked at a V6 2.8L - 6 speed manual today but didn't go through the BS with the salesman to drive it.

Could look good in the garage next to the Ducati. But I'd have to part with the Fairmont.
Old 29 May 2002, 10:31 (Ref:299311)   #21
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Have any of you guys tried a VW Bora? I looked at a V6 2.8L - 6 speed manual today but didn't go through the BS with the salesman to drive it.

Could look good in the garage next to the Ducati. But I'd have to part with the Fairmont.
V6 goes like a rocket. The V5 is an absoulty heap of You keep thinking that it has a permenant miss in it
Old 29 May 2002, 10:39 (Ref:299316)   #22
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Umm, really does develop 150 kws then? Plus AWD. A WRX contender at $10,000 more in price. Or is there more to it?
Old 29 May 2002, 10:51 (Ref:299324)   #23
elephino
Veteran

colin, it does have a permanent miss, it is called the 6th cylinder

The Vauxhall/Opel/Holden Barina/Corsa, for the price bracket, is one of the better cars around. The previous model was just scary though. I drove 4 or 5 of them and in each, the brake pedal went virtually to the floor before doing anything.

I used to have a N15 S2 Pulsar SSS. And that was a great little car once decent tyres were put on it.

Crashy, you like the A Class? You actually like one? (yes, I know how you got it, which might explain some of why you like it) I had one for a weekend test drive and it had to be one of the worst cars I've driven as a driver. It was uncomfortable to sit in and gave me a bad back for a week. It wasn't too stable either and I didn't think much of the brakes. They worked but not exactly consistently. The seating position was at least good for seeing ahead and took it on a nice road near the Hunter Valley and, well, I managed to get it going quickly but I wasn't too confident it would do what I wanted when I wanted. If you wanted to go around a corner at speed you needed to give the car a bit of warning.
Old 29 May 2002, 10:51 (Ref:299326)   #24
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Umm, really does develop 150 kws then? Plus AWD. A WRX contender at $10,000 more in price. Or is there more to it?
Honestly go and have a drive of the V6 it is worth putting up the Bull S**t
Old 29 May 2002, 11:04 (Ref:299336)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

Fair enough. I like the Teutonic look and feel. I'll go and see if the guy minds me burning his fuel for him.