Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 16 Sep 2002, 08:59 (Ref:381350)   #1
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ooops...

From allmoto.com.au:

Two weeks ago a speed camera van in Canberra was approached by 4 youths. Whilst the camera operator was talking to three boys about the van's equipment and how it works, the fourth boy proceeded to undo the van's front number plate.

They then said good-bye to the operator, went home and fixed the number plate to their car and proceeded to drive considerably over the speed limit 17 times through the speed camera radar...

Needless to say, there was considerable embarrassment at Urban Services when the computer posted their own speeding fines to the department.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 09:05 (Ref:381356)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 16 Sep 2002, 10:10 (Ref:381403)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only in Canberra

Yep, thought I'd be the first one to get that in!!

I also saw on the news somewhere where someone was "not happy Jan!" and ripped off a fixed camera (Melbourne?).
Old 16 Sep 2002, 12:26 (Ref:381495)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently there is someone in Holland who is wanted by police for damage to police property.

On his first visit, he paints the speed camera flourescent pink. Two days later on his second visit, he blows it up, leaving just a buckled pink pole.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:04 (Ref:383444)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
allegedly this is a growing trend in the uk - shame......
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:39 (Ref:383469)   #6
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's a shame, Jos? Surveilence cameras, or blowing them up?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 02:31 (Ref:383846)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently someone who got done the other week turned around and flogged the camera...

In the days before they would mount them in cars trucks would line them up. One day the police returned to the camera site to find it 100m away in the bush, with the last pic apparently being that of a mack truck tyre, at very close range...

I don't know what they are doing in your part of the world, but the next thing they are going to introduce up here is a redlight camera and a speed camera in the one unit. So if you speed up to get the light, you will still caught
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:58 (Ref:388959)   #8
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Leave the ones outside schools and traffic light junctions alone as they do in Holland
As for the rest, especially those on dual carriageways: Hunting season with NO bag limit. Blow the fs to pieces then post the bits to the police and council offices.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 17:17 (Ref:388974)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've only ever seen one speed camera outside a school. It's in Buckingham, on a downhill slope. The correct lawful approach to the camera, as far as I can make out is:

1. Check speedometer to ensure you are doing 30mph or less.
2. Check in rearview mirror that no driver is about to pile into your boot.
3. Cover the brake with your foot, as the incline is making your car accelerate.
4. Focus on camera to ensure you're not getting too close too quick.
5. Check speedometer again.
6. Pass under camera, concentrating on rear mirror to ensure you don't see a flash.
7. Check road ahead to ensure that you are clear of the calibration lines.
8. Check exterior of car to count any children who stepped out in front of you while you were concentrating on being legal.

Anthing that distracts a driver when he's passing a school is NOT a road-safety measure. It's a menace.

I have seen a driver lose control of a car when he was startled by a pedestrian when he was concentrating on a camera. They have absolutely nothing to do with keeping people safe, and everything to do with revenue gathering. In my book, the people who tear them down are virtually doing the community a service.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 20:39 (Ref:389152)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is hard to take any sort of opposing view to that expressed above.