Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2933102)   #326
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It hasn't been a week for good news, has it? At least they saved this item for Friday. Always a good day for bad news.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2933103)   #327
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Commentary will be shared, and other details - according to James Allen. I guess that keeps Martin and DC in the job, Sky would be nuts to get rid of them.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2933105)   #328
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I hear the News of the World hacked Colin Kolles's phone. And put £10 credit on it.

Now that is very good...
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2933107)   #329
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is excellent news!

I was looking at buying a new TV despite the fact that the BBC's F1 coverage is pretty much the only thing I ever watch, now I can save the money I would have spent on that for something else instead. Won't be needing a TV licence either!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2933115)   #330
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Commentary will be shared, and other details - according to James Allen. I guess that keeps Martin and DC in the job, Sky would be nuts to get rid of them.
Shared production kit on events where the BBC aren't there live is fair enough since it's likely to be SIS or another OB provider, but there will still need to be 2 set of production trucks/Fly away kits for when both are showing Live coverage, unless the BBC are to be totally studio based.

The shared commentary is easy as well since the commentary from the BBC, ITV and before that Murray on the BBC was essentially a English Language world feed anyway with it going to Canada, Australia and many other countries. Plus the fact that it has a nice clear start point at the 5 minute bumper and a reasonably obvious stop point at the end of the podium, where the feeds would separate back to presentation, or in Sky's case more likely voice over into Ad break.

I'm wondering if the on-site production team would create a single 60 minute race edit to be used by both the BBC in their 75 minute highlights programme (if that's what they end up with rather than a full race re-run) and Sky for I'd presume their own "Monday afternoon" highlights if that's included in their package.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2933118)   #331
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So I have read this whole thread, and the response is what I expected most of you are rather angry..

Ecclestone takes a pasting again which is not unusual concerning this latest news..The BBC has had a change of heart? call it whatever you like.
Bernie needs to find an alternative solution...He has.

Let me remind all of you without him, and all he has done for F1 most of you would watching paint dry on your grannies privy..

I have paid to watch F1 races since I first came to live in the United States in 1978, and I continue to do so..

The Speed channel, uses three commentators that watch the world feed with *one* on site pitlane reporter at each race..

My ATT U-Verse costs me $113.00 per month..

So that I can watch my local stations and a F1 broadcast every two weeks or so with ads...

Consider yourselves fortunate that you have had a somewhat free ride up until this point..
Old 30 Jul 2011, 01:24 (Ref:2933125)   #332
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But that is no reason to accept what is, ultimately, regression.

It's like saying you've been very fortunate to have cars, trains and planes all this time after being told that the only legal forms of transportation from now on are horse and cart or sailing ship for no good reason.

"You've been very fortunate to have had legs all these years, so you can't complain now we are going to cut them off for the fun of it."
Old 30 Jul 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2933128)   #333
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
But that is no reason to accept what is, ultimately, regression.

It's like saying you've been very fortunate to have cars, trains and planes all this time after being told that the only legal forms of transportation from now on are horse and cart or sailing ship for no good reason.

"You've been very fortunate to have had legs all these years, so you can't complain now we are going to cut them off for the fun of it."

Spoiled brat
Old 30 Jul 2011, 05:01 (Ref:2933156)   #334
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 teams, drivers, Bernie etc. are all doing financially very well - because of the fans. Now they want the fans to fork out yet more to fuel their personal greed. This deal isn't all down to Bernie either, the teams are in on this too regardless of the 'surprise' being feigned.

Look at the utterly silly money in football since Sky came in with very ordinary footballers on thousands of pounds a week and the likes of the perenially 'poor me' Carlos Tevez on 250k a week...because of Sky money. It's truly obscene.

How much money do these guys need and why ultimately should the fans be paying it? The Sky money may have been good for the players but the fans ticket prices have shot up and it would seem that all clubs are insolvent and being run at a loss due to players salaries.

Some on this thread have said they won't get the Sky subscription to continue watching F1 becasue they can't afford it. I can afford it but will choose not to get it. It simply isn't value for money.

I'm not paying yet more money to watch sport to make the already obscenely rich even richer. I've seen the football, rugby, cricket etc. be hoovered up by Sky over the years and have coped with it. Now the F1 is going piecemeal, eventually to be fully on Sky no doubt. In time, all meaningful sport will be pay per view but you know what, I can live without it. Who cares if the likes of World Cup ends up pay per view - when was the last decent World Cup anyway. It might make me use my time better than watching overpaid primadonna's poncing about - and that goes for F1 too.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2933162)   #335
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
F1 teams, drivers, Bernie etc. are all doing financially very well - because of the fans. Now they want the fans to fork out yet more to fuel their personal greed. This deal isn't all down to Bernie either, the teams are in on this too regardless of the 'surprise' being feigned.

Look at the utterly silly money in football since Sky came in with very ordinary footballers on thousands of pounds a week and the likes of the perenially 'poor me' Carlos Tevez on 250k a week...because of Sky money. It's truly obscene.

How much money do these guys need and why ultimately should the fans be paying it? The Sky money may have been good for the players but the fans ticket prices have shot up and it would seem that all clubs are insolvent and being run at a loss due to players salaries.

Some on this thread have said they won't get the Sky subscription to continue watching F1 becasue they can't afford it. I can afford it but will choose not to get it. It simply isn't value for money.

I'm not paying yet more money to watch sport to make the already obscenely rich even richer. I've seen the football, rugby, cricket etc. be hoovered up by Sky over the years and have coped with it. Now the F1 is going piecemeal, eventually to be fully on Sky no doubt. In time, all meaningful sport will be pay per view but you know what, I can live without it. Who cares if the likes of World Cup ends up pay per view - when was the last decent World Cup anyway. It might make me use my time better than watching overpaid primadonna's poncing about - and that goes for F1 too.
I'm glad you posted this, as this exemplifies exactly how Sky operates regarding televised sport. If what you say is correct, then the irony is that revenue from Sky seems to be paying for players, while the clubs themselves are in debt.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2933172)   #336
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky and motorsport don't mix imho

Eurosport an ben edwards / john watson was decent I recall, but as already mentioned bbc are superior in motorsport coverage

It was the only reason I paid the license fee,
Old 30 Jul 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2933178)   #337
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post

You know, I think I'm with you. I am not interested enough in any sport to pay for a subscription to Sky (and I have refused for many years to put any money in the Murdoch pocket). F1, Rugby (6 nations), some cricket are the only sports I watch, if they went wholly to Sky, I'd just suck it up and not watch.

We cannot be the only ones.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2933180)   #338
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand this move as surely the reduced viewership by being on PayTV is more of a disadvantage, outweighing the extra money from Sky? It takes all of the casual viewers out. I would have thought it would be a better move for Bernie to reduce the cost of the TV package to the BBC in the long run, rather than loose the people who will tune in and become more interested in the sport (although the guy cares as much about growing the sport as I do about restaurant floral arrangements).

I certainly wouldn't do it without a MotoGP style internet package, that's insane.

One of the things that I think is holding soccer back in Australia is that the A-league is only on paytv.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2933195)   #339
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graz, it isn't just football that is being distorted by Sky money. Rugby League also has been transformed beyond recognition and not entirely in a good way. They needed to invent a franchise system to stop the permanent bankruptcy of every relegated club.

Eventually everything will end up on Sky, barring the odd protected event. This monopoly is somewhat unhealthy and I find it odd that nobody steps in to try and stop it in all honesty. Sport is something the working class cling to and the working class are simply not well off at the moment. TV coverage should not, under any circumstances, be elitist and yet that is the way it is heading. If it carries on like this then we won't be able to show our kids the sports we love.

Sad times. But sport will one day regret the moment it abandoned the common man.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 30 Jul 2011 at 08:37.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2933197)   #340
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
I don't understand this move as surely the reduced viewership by being on PayTV is more of a disadvantage, outweighing the extra money from Sky? It takes all of the casual viewers out. I would have thought it would be a better move for Bernie to reduce the cost of the TV package to the BBC in the long run, rather than loose the people who will tune in and become more interested in the sport (although the guy cares as much about growing the sport as I do about restaurant floral arrangements).

I certainly wouldn't do it without a MotoGP style internet package, that's insane.

One of the things that I think is holding soccer back in Australia is that the A-league is only on paytv.
I agree with you entirely.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2933198)   #341
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with the point about regression. If I could chose it would be on the beeb, the coverage has been great.

This deal seems pretty good though and in context of other sports and other countries looks good.
However, judging from some above it is like Christmas has been cancelled for a five year old. A vicious five year old who feeds worms to his younger sister because he has to share with her.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2933199)   #342
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So I have read this whole thread, and the response is what I expected most of you are rather angry..

Ecclestone takes a pasting again which is not unusual concerning this latest news..The BBC has had a change of heart? call it whatever you like.
Bernie needs to find an alternative solution...He has.

Let me remind all of you without him, and all he has done for F1 most of you would watching paint dry on your grannies privy..

I have paid to watch F1 races since I first came to live in the United States in 1978, and I continue to do so..

The Speed channel, uses three commentators that watch the world feed with *one* on site pitlane reporter at each race..

My ATT U-Verse costs me $113.00 per month..

So that I can watch my local stations and a F1 broadcast every two weeks or so with ads...

Consider yourselves fortunate that you have had a somewhat free ride up until this point..
If this is the only means that F1 is available in the USA then I am not surprised it has very little following and very few know about it.

It would surely be better for F1 long term to ensure it is on a major network where it can be seen by casual viewers even if it cost FOM money to get it started.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2933200)   #343
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
I don't understand this move as surely the reduced viewership by being on PayTV is more of a disadvantage, outweighing the extra money from Sky? It takes all of the casual viewers out.
it is likely that Bernie has considered this.
It doesn't remove all casual viewers. It is still on FTA and some people do have sky!
Also sponsors don't just pay teams to get exposure to the British viewers. These only make up a fraction of the world wide exposure and they get more than just the name on the car. My mate who knows nothing about motorsport pointed that out to me!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2933201)   #344
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
For those with rage have you thought of using the following:
$ky
Eccle$tone
I think it'll demonstrate what you want it too.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2933203)   #345
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its the perfect marriage. Ecclestone and Murdoch.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2933204)   #346
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
World Ends. Murdoch suspected.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2933208)   #347
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Its the perfect marriage. Ecclestone and Murdoch.
I suspect, based on little, that they aren't top mates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
World Ends. Murdoch suspected.
Murdoch hanged. Turns out it Paula Jones from Guilford.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2933211)   #348
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I do think that one thing everyone seems to be forgetting is this. Had Sky and BBC not done this deal, then it's quite possible that we wouldn't have any coverage from 2012 onwards!!

I do sympathise with those who don't have/want to pay for Sky TV. But i'm one of those who do spend £70 a month (multi room and HD) on Sky and maybe i am just funding the evil empire, but before i had Sky i had no access to Premiership football (other than late night highlights) or the Golf. The Ryder Cup coverage that Sky put on is worth that months subscription alone.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where we have to pay for everything, there wasn't enough money to pay for F1 and we'd have lost coverage on the Beeb.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2933214)   #349
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

£840 a year.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2933215)   #350
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia has far fewer people to take advertising dollars from and manages fantastic, live, HD F1 coverage.

Surely if viewership was the prime concern of Mr. Ecclestone then he could have reduced the price of the TV deal.

Also, I have no idea about British television but are there many FTA channels that could have it? I thought F1 used to be on itv? Why did the BBC bid for it then not want it, is it rating that low even with a couple of top class British drivers? The UK has a huge population all paying the TV license, how can that not afford it (surely big shows like Top Gear and Dr. Who aren't cheap, are those shows going to suffer as well)?
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky