Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1232899)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Porsche prototype

I apologise for retreading old ground, but I've been offline for a couple of weeks, so I'm a bit behind; what is going on with Porsche? I saw lmsr.net report that there would be a factory LMP2 at Petit Le Mans and a factory LMP1 for 2006, surely the biggest sportscar news of the year, and now... nothing. What gives, chaps? Someone please fill me in!

(I'm sure a moderator will merge or close this if it's too repetitive.)
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:01 (Ref:1232919)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...6&page=4&pp=15

There is the link BS. Key words "Needs Board Approval".
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1232934)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The story was in Motorsport news - everything else was derived from that.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1232938)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Are we to infer anything from the length of time since the MN article? Has the board decided not to approve the project? Has it all gone horribly wrong? Remarkable that there has been no more news.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1232955)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Are we to infer anything from the length of time since the MN article? Has the board decided not to approve the project? Has it all gone horribly wrong? Remarkable that there has been no more news.
At this point, it would be dangerous to make inferences, or assumptions.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1232960)   #6
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I may be wrong but I don't think there were any plans to announce this programme until June at La Sarthe. That's way the MN article caught everyone by surprise and why we will probably hear nothing more until June
Old 24 Feb 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1234402)   #7
panoz.lmp1
Veteran

Germany
Germany
panoz.lmp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Porsche, the CAYMAN will be build with an 3.4l engine ....
Old 24 Feb 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1234406)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz.lmp1
The new Porsche, the CAYMAN will be build with an 3.4l engine ....
LMP2 connection, right?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1234484)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Just had a thought; if it's true that Porsche will build an LMP2 then convert it into an LMP1, will they have a 3.4-litre engine in the LMP2 then whack blowers on it for the LMP1?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1234586)   #10
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just had a thought; if it's true that Porsche will build an LMP2 then convert it into an LMP1, will they have a 3.4-litre engine in the LMP2 then whack blowers on it for the LMP1?
that is definitely a possibility and a likely step given Porsche's past history... remember that the current 911 GT3-R(S)(SR) 6-cylinder is the twin-turbo that was on the Porsche 911 GT1/ GT1 98 with the blowers removed.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1234595)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
that is definitely a possibility and a likely step given Porsche's past history... remember that the current 911 GT3-R(S)(SR) 6-cylinder is the twin-turbo that was on the Porsche 911 GT1/ GT1 98 with the blowers removed.
I tought there were some shortcomings in the twin-turbo flat 6. That is why Porsche developed the V10, used in the Carrera GT.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1234600)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think those were regulation-specific, rather than fundamental problems. Certainly, in the 1998 GT Championship, Porsche found that its turbocharged engine simply couldn't match the normally-aspirated Mercedes-Benz unit. But the Audi R8 and the Bentley Speed 8 were both turbocharged.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1234605)   #13
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think those were regulation-specific, rather than fundamental problems. Certainly, in the 1998 GT Championship, Porsche found that its turbocharged engine simply couldn't match the normally-aspirated Mercedes-Benz unit. But the Audi R8 and the Bentley Speed 8 were both turbocharged.

After the restrictors were changed (after Silverstone, I think).
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1234632)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
If what I've heard is correct, it will not be a Six cylinder.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1234637)   #15
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
I tought there were some shortcomings in the twin-turbo flat 6. That is why Porsche developed the V10, used in the Carrera GT.
this is absolutely correct... thats why a new V10 was being developed for the now unraced Porsche LMP from 2000. the old 3.6L Flat-6 Twin Turbo was down on power and very heavy in comparison to the newer engines. this was largely a factor in why Porsche didn't race an evolution of the GT1-98 during the 99 season.

i didn't say that the next-gen Porsche LMP engine would be a 6-cylinder unit, if thats what you thought i was saying in my earlier post... just that an evolution of an LMP2 engine into an LMP1 engine is not outside the realm of possibility.

if what i have heard is correct, than i am right there with you Fogelhund...

Last edited by tblincoe; 24 Feb 2005 at 17:20.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1234759)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
LMP2 engines can have up to eight cylinders, yes?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1234828)   #17
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
LMP2 engines can have up to eight cylinders, yes?
absolutely... the Judd XV that is used in many LMP2 cars is an 8 cylinder unit
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1234941)   #18
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you are so sure about the powerplant, what have you heard and where did you hear it and why can't you say??

rick
Old 25 Feb 2005, 05:06 (Ref:1235245)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would tend to agree that the V10 would be the most likely choice given that they already put some development towards it for the '99-00 car. But I wouldn't put it past Porsche to come up with another solution. They certainly love their twin-turbo flat six and I can see them re-vamping it to make it a winner once more. Porsche also had experience with turbo-charged V8's in their short stint in CART during the late '80's.

Another reason they chose not to use the flat six though was that it couldn't be a stressed member of the chassis if I recall.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 19:50 (Ref:1240359)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is Wiet Huidekoper (= MDC Motorsport) developing the Porsche LMP? (Porsche LMP built in UK?)

See this old (August '04) topic. According their advertisement in Autosport MDC was looking for engineers because they: "have been appointed for a long term Le Mans sports car programme".

Huidekoper was involved in the development of the Porsche GT1 car.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1241066)   #21
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Is Wiet Huidekoper (= MDC Motorsport) developing the Porsche LMP? (Porsche LMP built in UK?)
Could be, but a few weeks ago Autosport (who started the Wiet Huidekoper story, I think) reported that that car was now aiming for a 2006 debut.

So I still think this is another car. Any guesses?

Rollcentre Nissan to replaces the Huidekoper designed Dallaras??
Or is it just the new Lister LMP?
It could be the next Panoz LMP, in fact it could be just about anything

Mariantic

Just read the Panoz P1 thread - better cross that one off the list!

Last edited by mariantic; 3 Mar 2005 at 12:05.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1241086)   #22
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic
Could be, but a few weeks ago Autosport (who started the Wiet Huidekoper story, I think) reported that that car was now aiming for a 2006 debut.

So I still think this is another car. Any guesses?

Rollcentre Nissan to replaces the Huidekoper designed Dallaras??
Or is it just the new Lister LMP?
It could be the next Panoz LMP, in fact it could be just about anything

Mariantic

Just read the Panoz P1 thread - better cross that one off the list!

None of the above
Old 3 Mar 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1241106)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The rumour is that the new Porsche tub was built in England, right?
Old 3 Mar 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1241380)   #24
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
The rumour is that the new Porsche tub was built in England, right?
i believe that to be that true, but the details on this are kinda sketchy...
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1241602)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Lola?