Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28 Oct 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2978229)   #11
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran Park Forever View Post
Firstly, slightly envious of you attending decades of Silverstone testing!
Living 40 minutes from Silverstone made the annual trip there easy, it cost nothing and you could walk round the entire circuit. Brands was the same.
First went in 1986, when I was old enough to drive myself and stood opposite the pits watching Senna chatting to different people. On track sublime but what blew me away at the time was the Williams Honda, the ground shook. I loved brands ever since, it had been my first GP in 1982.
Every year after that, I'd go to tyre tests and until the late 90's used to get across to the paddock.
Met a few of the drivers there and stood at pit exit taking photos, one time in 1994, a friend and I had found an empty marshals post on Hangar Straight, we were taking photos and Schumacher came out of Becketts hard, now eagle vision or whatever, he spotted us, slowed to a complete stop beside us and did a full race start, minus traction control option obviously. lol
Those were wonderful time, access to drivers and teams during testing was so different than at a Grand Prix.
Met Senna there and later being a Ferrari fan, my friend and I stationed ourselves outside the Ferrari motorhome, Prost cam by, signed a few autographs but didn't say a word. Very French, very arrogant and backed up what my views of him were.
We could see him and Alesi inside de-briefing and the crowd had gone, I asked on of the mechanics in Italian ( I'm Italian BTW) if Alesi could come out for a moment for autographs.
The man was all smiles, chatty and delighted to pose for photos. He was French too. Just some of my memories...

Quote:
I remember my time at the 1990 British GP & yes you're right, the local Mansell & or Ferrari fans gave Senna a horrid time. With England being the F1 'centre of the universe' & Senna driving only for English teams, it's no wonder Senna would've put up a barrier against the local press, which they then would've played on to their own advantage........especially Roebuck!
I hated Roebuck, especially after he practically re-wrote his bias after Senna's death, claiming him the greatest and almost forgetting everything anti-Senna comment he'd ever put to paper.
The other thing that many people don't realise, or simply don't know, which would explain Senna's reluctance to deal with the press was an incident he had at Snetterton during his F3 season.
Now, I never witnessed it but have read about it in Senna biographies, iirc, Brundle and Senna had an altercation, Brundle himself said he leant on him hard and Senna ran off the track. There was a report to the Clerk of the Course, which resulted in no penalty to Brundle. Senna felt it unjust and as Brundle himself stated, " He was hardly likely to get a local driver penalised in Norfolk." Brundle being a local from about 40 miles away.
From that day, Senna and the British press/ establishment were not the best of friends. You can imagine the field day they had when he vetoed Warwick joining the Norfolk team.

Quote:
.....& history shows that The Professor never really liked doing that!

Ask Nige.......& Rene........& Eddie........& Damon........

Don't forget Keke...
Whats most saddening of all, Prost had the ability to not need to politically win the team. I was never a fan, just too boring to watch, but I respected him enormously.
Monaco 1985,, Senna was sent out against his will to drive round and stop other drivers from beating his time. I remember Alboreto and others saying after, in anger, what was sickening was Senna had too much ability to resort to those types of tactics.
We saw this again in 2006 with Schumacher, and once again we saw the drivers react angrily.