Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1975953)   #26
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Loton Park week-end

The two Liverpool MC/Hagley & DLCC events at Loton this week-end featured a lot of pumping!

Water had been pumped from the lake adjoining the start line over the track during the week and there were several pumping sessions to get rid of a rather large pool of water just up from triangle on the outside.

Without all this work the event might have had to be cancelled.

The waether was great - blue skies and sunshine!

Nigel Morris set FTD on each day and most people went home happy and dry!

Old 31 Jul 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1976942)   #27
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Dude....very kind!

Woolley...does that mean that I have to be certified at last?

A Further update....my mate that had to climb out of the window....well I asked what they had done with the cars what with the flood and all...well...she said that they moved them to higher ground on the friday morning so all was well......unitl the flash floods I mentioned last week...her daughter got caught in 3 feet of water...in the Corsa..sorry, EX Corsa

Interesting to see what other effects these things do to you. I heard someone at the weekend blithly saying "Why don`t they just use flood water for the loo instead" I had to point out that whilst most of Cheltenham had no flood at all, we are without water due to the treatment plant going down at Mythe bridge...there aint any water to use.
everyday life is affected in small ways...you can`t just go to the pub...a lot of them don`t have water for the loos and so can`t open...thay can`t wash glasses either!
Some restaurants are closed for the same reason...McD`s near me is shut...ok so that might not be a real problem...!
The folks from my local are having problems banking cash as a number of banks are shut...by the way...they have done it now so don`t go reaching for the stockings and sawn off !
There is more community spirit around...various reasons I guess. The blitz mentality one of them but another is that neighbours are having to speak to each other as they congregate around the bowsers, no longer able to just jump into a car on the drive and whizz away.

I had just such a discussion with a neighbour last night...and we agreed that you become acutely aware of how much water is wasted...I`m not going all tree hugger here but when you have just filled up three two litre bottles of water then realise that you are going to pour them all into the loo for ONE flush...it does make you think....after all...thats nearly SIX pints of beer!

We hear that we may get water today or tomorrow so the end may be in sight...I`ll let you know....

Jim
Old 31 Jul 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1976962)   #28
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo

I had just such a discussion with a neighbour last night...and we agreed that you become acutely aware of how much water is wasted...I`m not going all tree hugger here but when you have just filled up three two litre bottles of water then realise that you are going to pour them all into the loo for ONE flush...it does make you think....after all...thats nearly SIX pints of beer!

You get the same frame of mind when using a caravan..

Having to fetch all the water makes you realise just how much water you use.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1977288)   #29
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Amen to that. As much as I love the place, Wiscombe Park has that effect on you. You have to drive to the other side of the venue to get any water. Trying to stick to 40 Litres for 2 days takes some doing.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1977570)   #30
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
I can`t count...it`s TWELVE pints of beer.....oh dear I need a drink!!!

A riddle:

Whats brown?..................and,

You can`t drink it?............and,

You can`t wash up in it?

No neither do I but it`s coming out of our taps

Hey all of you...thanks for reading this monologue of mine, it`s been fun to do. I sincerely hope that none of you lot suffer the same fate, it`s been cr*p......and remember...we only lost our water, there a lot of people who got totally flooded.

Lets get back trackside at Prescott and hopefully Shelsley as soon as possible
eh...Bye

Jim
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:37 (Ref:1977616)   #31
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jim

Thank you for the continued updates it was good to see you and have a chat on Saturday. It is not until you read or talk to people who have first hand experience of flooding or not having any water for any length of time do you relies how lucky we are to have a regular water supply.

I do agree with you though bring on the next Prescott or Shelsley meeting (which ever comes first!).

Andrew
Old 9 Aug 2007, 06:22 (Ref:1984642)   #32
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Hello All,
Well the driver`s school went off ok and we had a pretty good weekend at VSCC Prescott, the only problems being the usual ones, nothing to do with the recent water ones.

This will be my final update on these matters, I must again thank Woolley for letting it ramble on, I`ll buy you a drink at the end of the next Shelsley meeting mate ...!

We have had running water for about a week now although it was only yesterday that we learned that we can now use it for drinking...some large places such as Zurich Financial in Bishops Cleeve are having to drain and purge tanks so it will be about three days before they can use it without problems.

Do you remember my mate that had to flee out ot the window with the family? Well, we met up on Tuesday, I saw the pics of the flood damage...it`s just awful. She gave me a few more details of the escape...they had to slide down part of the roof to get into the rescue dinghy with son Micheal ( Charles Bronson! ) almost slipping in to the murky crap that was running about ten feet deep at this point. The water arrived so quickly that they were unable to escape initially and had retreated to the bedroom, they had prepared the loft with sleeping kit and were ready to break out of the roof if needed.
Their next door neighbour Eddie, a real local character, was also caught out by the sudden rush of water and because he had low doors, was trapped in one of the downstairs rooms....people from another dinghy ignored the rules and left to go find him...they barely got him out alive, he was barely breathing.

I got a text last night.....it said " do you remember me telling you about Eddie? They think he had ingested a lot of water and was suffering from complications.."

"He died today"

Jim
Old 9 Aug 2007, 12:35 (Ref:1984846)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's awful news. Makes the rest of us realize how lucky we've been. No problem with your rambling - we're used to it! Ramble away, but I'll unsticky it.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1985017)   #34
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough luck Jim

will live on a hill and often jest about the people at Bewdley trying to keep back the Severn.

We realise that these floods have affected many more people across the entire country.

The last few rounds of the British championship meant we have missed it all. We have been affected a little at times.

Sorry for your hardship.

Sorry for Eddie.

Sincere regards Richard & Georgia
Old 9 Aug 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1985114)   #35
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to Llandow. Motorsport News says that they are going to build houses on it!!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1985197)   #36
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dillon
Going back to Llandow. Motorsport News says that they are going to build houses on it!!!!!

At least the crowds may get into double figures then
Old 10 Aug 2007, 06:22 (Ref:1985296)   #37
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:

Best thing for it.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1985351)   #38
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
The owner of Llandow circuit and the surrounding bits of the old airfield has sold an option to a development company. The "planned houses" will be on land near-by the current track but nearer to the crossroads. However at the moment there is no planning permission and the land is still part of the portfolio of the circuit's owner.

Eventually I wouldn't be surprised if the developers made a bid for the whole of the property, circuit and all. However I doubt if that will happen for several years.

Old 4 Oct 2007, 21:29 (Ref:2031342)   #39
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only just discovered this Thread, so please excuse the lateness!

I was at Llandow that weekend, and the only problem we as marshals had was our post. we were on the inside of the bus stop corner, by the control building. The area in front of our post was full of water. So when a couple of rally cars came by and dipped 2 wheels into our private fishing lake...

There were 2 marshal shaped dry bits on the wall after that.

Anyway, the plans for Llandow are true, and to the best of my knowlege planning permission has now been granted. You can see the plans at www.llandownewydd.co.uk .There's a map on that site, and From that, you will also note that the karting track will also be built on. The hangers on the other side of the track and the nearby industrial estate are all staying put however, as is the rest of the airfeild on the other side of the road (where Bridgend Automobile club have their autotests). I have to say it's a loss, but not an unexpected one given the amount of use Llandow gets. It does mean bye bye to what is effectively my local circuit (I live about 5 miles from it).