Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 4 Oct 2007, 23:56 (Ref:2031465)   #1
Scutch
Rookie

United Kingdom
Scutch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road Modified Advice required for a newcomer

Hi,

Looking at competing in the Road Modified Class, in either 1a or 1b, can you tell me can you remove the underseal from the car and what road legal tyres from 3.1.1 List 1A are doing the business, the must haves?

Cheers
Old 5 Oct 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2031643)   #2
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Underseal can be removed although i fail to see any advantage this would give you.

The tyre choice is another question. What will you be competing in? I drive a 205 GTi and find Toyo T1-R's quite good, T1-s's are also good if you can still get them.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2031670)   #3
Judd
Rookie

Judd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent two days inside my Sunbeam removing the sound deadening material. And I was left with???? A bag weighing 9kg. I think another 9 or 10 can easily be removed by taking of the underseal. 18kg removed = free power!!

Oliver
Old 5 Oct 2007, 09:31 (Ref:2031750)   #4
Scutch
Rookie

United Kingdom
Scutch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for the replies so far.
So Toyos are the prefereed choice, thought yokos and bridgestone would have an offereing ?
So underseal can be removed, I take it you cannot seam weld the shell in 1A / 1B as this would be deemed as 'altering the construction of the shell'
Cheers
Old 5 Oct 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2031792)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scutch
Many thanks for the replies so far.
So Toyos are the prefereed choice, thought yokos and bridgestone would have an offereing ?
So underseal can be removed, I take it you cannot seam weld the shell in 1A / 1B as this would be deemed as 'altering the construction of the shell'
Cheers
Pop along to Curborough for the HSA sprint on the 14th, nothing like talking direct to the competitors.

Have you made up your mind yet on the weapon of choice?

Old 5 Oct 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2031929)   #6
rescue dude
Veteran

England
The tyre choice is personal, i should talk to a few others before you put your hand in your pocket.

Not sure about seam welding. Wouldn't have thought it's a problem?

Do you have a current blue book? If so check in there.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 14:08 (Ref:2032042)   #7
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you say road modified class 1a or 1b I presume you are referring to classes referred to in the blue book??

If so be careful because if you are a beginner you may not yet have realised that very few championships actually follow the blue book - what you need to do is decide which events or which championship you intend to enter and study the specific regulations for those events. The actual regulations for each event will be '....as per the blue book save as provided for in the championship regulations'.

It is very easy to assume that every event will be run to the blue book and then you turn up for the event and find that all sorts of things are going on that you hadn't even considered.

For example wheel sizes - in a modified class different size wheels are likely to be permitted so don't buy tyres until you've decided what wheels to run.

As for seam welding this is likely to be permitted in a modified class but don't just go by the blue book as stated above.

I haven't looked at the blue book since I wasted a load of cash following what it said prior to my first ever event....in a road modified class....
Old 5 Oct 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2032047)   #8
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Underseal can be removed although i fail to see any advantage this would give you.

The tyre choice is another question. What will you be competing in? I drive a 205 GTi and find Toyo T1-R's quite good, T1-s's are also good if you can still get them.
As stated above removing underseal is very worthwhile and the starting point on a modified road car.

Are those Toyos list 1A??
Old 8 Oct 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2034725)   #9
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners

Are those Toyos list 1A??

They are at the moment.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2038435)   #10
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Marangoni Zeta Lineas and Scudo stunners are a very poular tyre of choice for List 1A, however stunners are Asterixed as a posibility of being removed. both are cheap as chips also.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 14:37 (Ref:2038563)   #11
bentimingstrut
Rookie

Slovakia
bentimingstrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunners/Marangoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westysprinter
Marangoni Zeta Lineas and Scudo stunners are a very poular tyre of choice for List 1A, however stunners are Asterixed as a posibility of being removed. both are cheap as chips also.
I would advise using Stunners for Hillclimbs and Maragonis for Sprints as the stunners tend to come alive at cooler temperatures and the Maragonis are probably better suited to a longer run.Its worthwhile getting them buffed aswell.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2054300)   #12
beach
Rookie

beach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would advise going along to a event and talk to a Scruttineer,or go along to the MSA web site