Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 1 Nov 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2057095)   #1
James_1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
James_1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Licenses

I want to start in a sprint series next season but I've been having mixed feedback as far as licenses and track days etc are concerned. The problem is that I am 16 so I don't have a road licence and only limited experiance as far as driving is concerned (I have only drive at speeds of more than a few mph in a kart). I have heard that I would get a few laps with an instructor if I took an ARDS but I don't need a race license for sprints so that would be £300+ not going into the car etc. What other options do I have to get track time outside the sprints themselves? I presume there must be some events for drivers without road licences to practice as there are some out there!
Old 1 Nov 2007, 22:18 (Ref:2057279)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are sprint and hill-climb schools run by both MAC at Cuborough and Shelsley, and BOC at Prescott. I've no idea if there are age limits on them, though.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:05 (Ref:2057334)   #3
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
You don't need a full driving licence to compete in hillclimbs and sprints but you do need a minimum of a Nat B competition licence.

You can compete in speed events when you are 16.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 18:11 (Ref:2058730)   #4
James_1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
you do need a minimum of a Nat B competition licence.
That's a non-race one I assume?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 08:47 (Ref:2059142)   #5
Brib
Rookie

England
Brib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
There are sprint and hill-climb schools run by both MAC at Cuborough and Shelsley, and BOC at Prescott. I've no idea if there are age limits on them, though.
On the schools I have been to you needed a DVLA licence to sign on with, but perhaps a provisional licence would do. The best thing to do would be to call and ask.

Brian
Old 4 Nov 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2059152)   #6
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_1
That's a non-race one I assume?

Any Nat B licence will do.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:57 (Ref:2067321)   #7
Redmistracing
Rookie

Redmistracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James,

To compete you need a National B license - And yes the non-race national B is probably your best option (this is fine for sprinting) and you don't have to do a course or medical for it, just send off for it twenty something pounds.

I started when i was 16, with a national B non-race license and had only driven a kart a few times (never raced) and the car on private property car parks etc. I did a "test" session at Llandow circuit in wales before the season and learnt the rest on the track. Was in a Single seater within 2 seasons. Just go for it

Tim

Last edited by b1ackcr0w; 14 Nov 2007 at 16:37.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 18:35 (Ref:2067491)   #8
rescue dude
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmistracing
James,

To compete you need a National B license - And yes the non-race national B is probably your best option (this is fine for sprinting) and you don't have to do a course or medical for it, just send off for it twenty something pounds.

Tim

A non race Nat-B licence for 2008 is £36.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 07:57 (Ref:2067788)   #9
James_1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmistracing
James,

I started when i was 16, with a national B non-race license and had only driven a kart a few times (never raced) and the car on private property car parks etc. I did a "test" session at Llandow circuit in wales before the season and learnt the rest on the track. Was in a Single seater within 2 seasons. Just go for it

Tim
So it can be done! That is pretty much what I want to do, only maybe not single seaters so soon-bit to pricey for me! Can you still do test sessions with no road licence or full licence?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 08:15 (Ref:2067801)   #10
Redmistracing
Rookie

Hi,

Yep, I'm pretty sure I did my first test session without a road or MSA license at Llandow, think it depends on the venue though (Steer clear of track days if i was you). At Llandow its around £120 for a whole day, and I ended up doing over 100 laps. With the road going sports car I got my father to be a passenger for the first 10 or so laps, he pointed out some improvements/bad habits and then got out so I could work on my driving for the rest of the day - That initial input from someone who drives competitivly is extremly constructive if you fully take the advice.

It can definetly be done! Good Luck!

Tim

Red Mist Racing
Old 15 Nov 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2068195)   #11
James_1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
And this was with a non-race licence?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2068316)   #12
Redmistracing
Rookie

Correct. No License at all - if my memory serves me correctly...