Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1968290)   #1
Dave Riley
Rookie

Dave Riley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prescott, Llandow and the weather!

Due to extreme conditions this weekends event is postponed.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1968404)   #2
Tim Hull
Racer

Tim Hull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh no, what am I going to do I've bought all these goodies for consuption by the rescue crew this weekend, it wont last till next weekend, oh what will I do, I really dont know. Please help me with your advice.

Old 20 Jul 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1968407)   #3
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Tim Tim.....tut tut....remember you`re rescue....EAT IT !!!

But really...Dave has been to have a look and believe me when he says it is extremely bad...It IS !!!

Say hello to your daddy mate
Old 20 Jul 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1968526)   #4
rhodopsin
Racer

Sri Lanka
Halesowen
rhodopsin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only weekend I can go to Prescott this year and it's postponed - just my luck.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1968579)   #5
Bossybottom
Rookie

Bossybottom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eats

I've just made a ginger cake and a lemon drizzle cake for Prescott but I'm sure I can find someone to eat them! I'll just have to make more for the next meeting.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1968642)   #6
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me you wouldnt want to be there this weekend, I live down the road and it took me 5 hours to do a 20 mile journey this afternoon/evening. total nightmare.

Was meant to finish work at one nip home and grab my stuff to head to the Isles Scilly, Now totally brassed off and my old man is still stuck out on the A34 bless him ;O(
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1968661)   #7
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossybottom
I've just made a ginger cake and a lemon drizzle cake for Prescott but I'm sure I can find someone to eat them! I'll just have to make more for the next meeting.

I shall be looking forward to more lemon drizzle when next we meet
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1968685)   #8
docdave
Rookie

docdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry to miss all the cake perhaps there will be some at Loton next weekend otherwise I shall have to miss out untill next year
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1968687)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdave
sorry to miss all the cake perhaps there will be some at Loton next weekend otherwise I shall have to miss out untill next year

Being married to one of the top 3 cake makers in the known universe I somehow doubt a lack of cake will hinder you
Old 23 Jul 2007, 16:21 (Ref:1971271)   #10
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Sorry about the postponement folks, by now you will have gathered that it was a countywide problem.

To put it in context, I was working in Gloucester at 3pm and had to use all the back roads I could find to get out to Dave Rileys place at 4...this should have been a 3 minute journey. 15 flooded roads after that I got home at 6...Zurich insurance in Bishops Cleeve was turned into a refuge with nearly 600 people spending the night there, I am told that several intrepid ones made it to a nearby pub, had a few, then returned with arms full of supplies for the rest.
A number of friends were stranded at Strensham services until saturday morn ing...another friend lives in Sedgberrow which suffered badly...I had a text late on Friday night to say that husband was at Strensham and that she and the kids watched the water get to the top of the stairs before they were able to climb out of the bedroom window into a waiting dinghy!

Best of it all is that we now have no water!!!

Anyway there you go...everyday rural life in Cheltenham!!

I will post news from the lawns as soon as I have it

Jim
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1971504)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the update. A good decision made nice and early by the sounds of it. An absolute horror of a weekend in so many places puts the abandonment of one meeting in perspective. Only in England could you have no water because there's too much water.

At least Prescott's still at Prescott. According to accounts elsewhere, Shelsley has relocated to slightly nearer Wolverhampton!
Old 24 Jul 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1971865)   #12
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Llandow Problems

The sprint at Llandow on Saturday went ahead as scheduled with the only on-site problem being the sodden grass paddock where a few tow-cars and trailers ended up bogged down.

The main problem for BARC (Wales) was that a lot of competitors were stuck in traffic. There were many tales of woe!

1) One driver stopped off in Worcester first thing Friday morning en-route to a business appointment in South Wales, he never got to his appointment but did arrive at Llandow at 18:00 having set off from Worcester at 10:00.
2) One driver didn't even get out of his drive as the house & garage were under two foot of water!
3) Several drivers were stuck on the M5. They drove into the back of the queue on Friday evening at various times between 17:00 and 17:45. They didn't get moving again until 07:30 Saturday morning. However some drivers gave up when the police removed the central reservation crash barriers and turned round and headed home.
4) One driver who was heading down the M50 arrived at Junction 3 to be sent off the Motorway due to flooding. As the access road back on wasn't blocked he slipped back on and managed to 'wade' through the worst of the water and eventually made it down to Llandow very late on Friday evening.
5) I travelled down in convoy with a couple of other competitors and we thankfully got to the M50 before the floods got too bad. At one point the inside lane and hard shoulder were under a beige blanket of water. Junction 3 was under 6 inches of water. Later on there was a 'red' river running across the motorway. However by driving sensibly we made it down to Llandow.

Over twenty competitors didn't make it to Llandow. Those that did arrive late were greeted at the gate by the Paddock marshal, found a dry spot to park up, as they unloaded a Scrutineer was brought to their car and once Scrutineered and Signed-on they were slotted into the queue for Practice - well done BARC (Wales).

The return journey on Saturday evening was relatively easy. We went down the M4 to the M5 and turned North. The scenes around Tewkesbury were awful. Mile upon mile of flooded fields with cars, caravans and boats floating haphazardly in what appeared to be a massive BROWN lake!

I think everyone who competed at Llandow feel very lucky indeed that they had a relatively uninterupted day's sport. I feel certain the full ramifications of the flooding have yet to be realised and my thoughts are with all those people in the Midlands whose houses and businesses are under water.

Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; 24 Jul 2007 at 09:22.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1971950)   #13
Dave Riley
Rookie

Prescott, Llandow and the weather!

Despite localised flooding over the past weekend, we are confident that Prescott will be fully operational for our next scheduled meeting on 6/7 August. Whilst considerable surface water cascaded across the estate on Friday 20 July and Saturday 21 July, no serious damage was sustained to our facilities. By the end of Monday 23 July all debris had been removed from the track and repairs will commence shortly.
Given the weather conditions which prevailed on Friday 20 July, together with the on-going road conditions in the Gloucestershire area, we had no option but to postpone our 21/22 July Members and Classic meeting. We are currently planning to rescheduled this event and the provisional date is 22/23 September - TO BE CONFIRMED SO WATCH THIS SPACE.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1972045)   #14
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave think you've got your dates wrong 6th & 7th August is a Monday & Tuesday. Should that be 4th & 5th?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1972280)   #15
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Just to let you know two extremes of behaviour...on my way home Friday there was a particularly bad spot of flooding in the Churchdown / Badgeworth area, a couple had cycled to the bend and were on point duty making sure there was a flow of traffic both ways....and at the other end of the scale....
my friends son in sedgeberrow went on patrol last night with others from the village to foil looters who had been trying to enter properties....don`t you just love some people ?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1972338)   #16
Dave Riley
Rookie

Thanks Matt 4/5 is right for the VSCC meeting you can't get the staff If you wan't it done right do it yourself
Old 25 Jul 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1972973)   #17
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
my friends son in sedgeberrow went on patrol last night with others from the village to foil looters who had been trying to enter properties....don`t you just love some people ?
We should have the Army out to shoot the *******s on sight
Old 25 Jul 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1973143)   #18
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
We should have the Army out to shoot the *******s on sight
Trouble is some bleeding Labour councillor would be up in arms as that would breach their human rights!

Old 25 Jul 2007, 16:39 (Ref:1973213)   #19
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Ahhh human rights......!

We now have little blue boxes on most street corners with water in....strange ...years ago such things had telephones and policemen in them...ho hum....to add to our woes...local scrotes have been seen leaving the taps on and running them empty while others have been seen forcing them open and relieving themselves into what little water is left.....hmmmm....." Hello 118118 ? yes you can help...do you have any suppliers of shotguns near to the St Marks area of Cheltenham?...No! Oh well what about Flyfishing by J R R Tartley?"
Old 25 Jul 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1973313)   #20
Dave Riley
Rookie

Prescott looking forward

The rain has done some damage to the track. The area after esses has moved further and dropped a section of the return road has tried to move into the stream.The bulk of the tidying up of gravel traps etc has now been done. Tomorrow Thurs. our contractors are coming on site to undertake the necessary repairs this is due to be finished by saturday giving the club monday & tuesday to finish preparations for the driving school on wednesday. TheVSCC meeting Aug 4 /5 will go ahead as usual as will Sept. 1/2 last weekends meeting will now run Sept. 22 /23
Old 26 Jul 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1973795)   #21
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're in the middle of all the current misery Giz, serious full marks for maintaining your sense of humour
Old 26 Jul 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1973854)   #22
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
If you're in the middle of all the current misery Giz, serious full marks for maintaining your sense of humour

Hey....

Have you seen his beard?

Gotta have a sense of humour for that

*sorry*
Old 26 Jul 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1974254)   #23
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Hi folks thanks for the comments...oh yes it`s all fun and games down `ere!

I have to say that I think the local authority and Severn trent are doing a fantastic job in the face of enormous adversity...well done chaps and chappesses !

Had to do a job at Cheltenham racecourse today...went through a military checkpoint manned by the army to get in.....It`s being used as a central distribution depot for all the bottles of water being supplied...funny but, while Dave and I watched the movements of dozens of civilian and military trucks.....guess what?

Yes...it pi**ed down again

Result... a few more flash floods.....still never mind...soon be summer

Ps, to mods...thanks for letting this run...it`s not very often you get to see what these natural disasters are like from the inside..it`s good to share!

Jim

Last edited by Gizmo; 26 Jul 2007 at 18:30.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1974963)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ps, to mods...thanks for letting this run...it`s not very often you get to see what these natural disasters are like from the inside..it`s good to share!

Jim
No worries, Jim, although Jan says she won't give you a hug until she sees a certificate saying you've had a bath in clean water.

I'll merge Dave's re-organized dates post into here so it doesn't get lost.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1975370)   #25
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Ahhh human rights......!

We now have little blue boxes on most street corners with water in....strange ...years ago such things had telephones and policemen in them...ho hum....to add to our woes...local scrotes have been seen leaving the taps on and running them empty while others have been seen forcing them open and relieving themselves into what little water is left.....hmmmm....." Hello 118118 ? yes you can help...do you have any suppliers of shotguns near to the St Marks area of Cheltenham?...No! Oh well what about Flyfishing by J R R Tartley?"

Thats terrible the thing's that you have to put up with.

Anyway i'm off for a nice bath.