Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Feb 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3364502)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I am not convinced the state of STCC would be much better if they would have chosen NGTC.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3364661)   #52
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I am not convinced the state of STCC would be much better if they would have chosen NGTC.
Why not? Look how well it has worked in the UK. If the STCC had fully committed, in 2011, to a full NGTC future, it would probably be equally strong.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 06:41 (Ref:3364702)   #53
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC does not equal STCC. Its as easy as that. We've had this discussion before, just go back and read it, and the topic is STCC 2014, not NGTC.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3364756)   #54
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
BTCC does not equal STCC. Its as easy as that. We've had this discussion before, just go back and read it, and the topic is STCC 2014, not NGTC.
The poor choices down the years is relevant to the horrible state the STCC is in these days. I remember only a few years ago it could have been arguably considered the premier touring car series in the world.

2011 you had Richard Goransson, James Thompson, Gabriele Tarquini, Robert Dahlgren, Tommy Rustad, Colin Turkington, Jan Nilsson, Jason Watt, Rickard Rydell, Fredrik Ekblom, and Fabrizio Giovanardi all competing during the season, with mid-20 grids most meetings. Sure, half those star names were one-offs, but still, compare it to 2013. Not a single non-Scandinavian driver. A lot of big names gone with no-hopers replacing them & only 10 driver who bothered to even do the full season.

STCC was genuinely a highly professional series just three years ago. Thanks to Nilsson, et al, that's been royally ****ed up.

Last edited by thetool; 6 Feb 2014 at 11:14.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3364868)   #55
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As a Swede, I just don't get it why STCC doesn't go to Rudskogen. It's the biggest racing track in the nordic region and needs good series attending there. Why go to Gelleråsen instead of Rudskogen when it's a 10 times worse track...
Old 7 Feb 2014, 08:36 (Ref:3365181)   #56
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thetool: How are that relevant to your NGTC vs SolutionF argument? The point is, nothing guarantee that NGTC will be more successful then SolutionF for STCC. The point is, when S2000 were going to be fased out, 4 teams wanted SolutionF (Flash, WCR, Polestar, Brovallen) and only one (1!) team wanted NGTC (Engström). Even you can guess why they choose what they did...

Back on topic, I do agree they should really try and get a race on Rudskogen, best track in scandinavia and its not even that far away from Gelleråsen. Its not like Mo I Rana that is like what, 1000km away from everything.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3365244)   #57
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
As a Swede, I just don't get it why STCC doesn't go to Rudskogen. It's the biggest racing track in the nordic region and needs good series attending there. Why go to Gelleråsen instead of Rudskogen when it's a 10 times worse track...
STCC don't race at Gelleråsen anymore. But a race at Rudskogen would be great, and also Arctic Circle Raceway (if it was situated a bit further south, I guess). Hopefully there can be races at Gotland Ring (and maybe Motorpark/Mittsverigebanan/Midlanda when it's fully upgraded) in the future.

On a positive note, Dacia increased their car sales in Sweden by over 800 % in 2013. I do think that their STCC committments helped them a bit.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3365246)   #58
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thetool: How are that relevant to your NGTC vs SolutionF argument? The point is, nothing guarantee that NGTC will be more successful then SolutionF for STCC. The point is, when S2000 were going to be fased out, 4 teams wanted SolutionF (Flash, WCR, Polestar, Brovallen) and only one (1!) team wanted NGTC (Engström). Even you can guess why they choose what they did..
the simple point it doesn't matter what the teams want, it's what the spectators want to see, no audience = no sponsors = no money

selling cheap Silouhettes as Touring cars doesn't cut it at least they should have been honest and freely name it Silouhette Championship

I remember interview from a track organizer who said they fought the STCC had a much wider appeals and they found themselves with very low spectator numbers...

at least the STCC and teams could admit that they were wrong about Solution F and all that split nonsense

anyway, STCC's demise its parltly BTCC's gain cos they can lure away any drivers like Turkington
Old 7 Feb 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3365273)   #59
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just gonna add that the biggest reason for the decline is the split. Simple as that. One would've thought lessons had been learned from the IRL/Champ Car fiasco but no, obviously not. I'm not sure people realize how much damage has been done and how long it'll take for the racing scene to recover in Sweden.

Add to that the shoddy work done by the organisation during race weekends (well, at least at Tierp last year which was somewhat of a farce in terms of how STCC handled everything) and it'll take time to rebuild the fan trust.

One positive thing is that the TV coverage has remained pretty decent, but there's room for improvement and the production company should take a note from foreign TV-productions. For example at least show SOMETHING from ALL the support races - not just one of two races. It's bloody stupid. The coverages from Australia (say V8 Utes) usually does this really well, showing highlights from one or two races out of, say, three from a weekend and the last one in full. They're usually MUCH more time-efficient as well, no stupid "behind the scenes"-crap no one watches anyway, they focus on showing the racing - like it should be.

Oh and the cars could be more interesting (faster overall and, when watching in person, better sounding) and the tracks much, much better, but hey, don't want to rant about too much at the same time eh?
Old 10 Feb 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3366337)   #60
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Agreed, not going NGTC is not the reason why STCC is where it is right now, theres other more important reasons, as rustyfan said ^^
Old 10 Feb 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3366475)   #61
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed, not going NGTC is not the reason why STCC is where it is right now, theres other more important reasons, as rustyfan said ^^
split was done because teams didn't embrace NGTC in the first place so you can say not adopting NGTC is the main reason for the total disaster
Old 10 Feb 2014, 15:40 (Ref:3366476)   #62
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
split was done because teams didn't embrace NGTC in the first place so you can say not adopting NGTC is the main reason for the total disaster
No. The split was caused by two different rule sets, not specifically NGTC. If they had split and the present Solution F cars were NGTC it wouldn't matter. The split did the damage.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3366505)   #63
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
No. The split was caused by two different rule sets, not specifically NGTC. If they had split and the present Solution F cars were NGTC it wouldn't matter. The split did the damage.
The NGTC rules was what STCC wanted to introduce and the teams wheren't to happy about it so in a way you're both right but the NGTC ruleset was definitely a part of it.

STCC is just in a sad state in my opinion.. I've really tried to stay positive about it but I find it hard.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3367101)   #64
AxelF
Racer

AxelF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
The NGTC rules was what STCC wanted to introduce and the teams wheren't to happy about it so in a way you're both right but the NGTC ruleset was definitely a part of it.

STCC is just in a sad state in my opinion.. I've really tried to stay positive about it but I find it hard.
STCC is to small to have their own ruleset. I think, best years were with supertouring or S2000 cars.
Cars you can buy or build your own. But they are exact copies of the normal street cars of the fans.

Now it is more like Porsche Cup - nice races sometimes, but Porsche wins always :-)
Even if they have different shells.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3367532)   #65
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
STCC is to small to have their own ruleset. I think, best years were with supertouring or S2000 cars.
Cars you can buy or build your own. But they are exact copies of the normal street cars of the fans.

Now it is more like Porsche Cup - nice races sometimes, but Porsche wins always :-)
Even if they have different shells.
Yup, I agree. I would personally love V8 Supercars, there's a lot of love for V8's in Sweden and now Volvo is in the mix down under, but it's most probably just wishfull thinking on my part..
Old 12 Feb 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3367543)   #66
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Yup, I agree. I would personally love V8 Supercars, there's a lot of love for V8's in Sweden and now Volvo is in the mix down under, but it's most probably just wishfull thinking on my part..
and most STCC tracks simply suck , are totally ill suited for such powerful and big cars...

anyway, what does it matter, you have the BTCC available, enjoy that epic season
Old 13 Feb 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3367987)   #67
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A Swedish version of NZ V8 Supertourers/Global Touring Car would be nice.
Spec spaceframe with road car bodyshell powered by a spec 5L V8 500 bhp engine.

But like porsche962fan says, most Swedish tracks aren't suitable for such powerful cars.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3368200)   #68
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
A Swedish version of NZ V8 Supertourers/Global Touring Car would be nice.
Spec spaceframe with road car bodyshell powered by a spec 5L V8 500 bhp engine.

But like porsche962fan says, most Swedish tracks aren't suitable for such powerful cars.
Well, New Zealand isn't really known for highspeed tracks either.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3368376)   #69
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Göransson to Team Tidö in a two car SAAB assault! Didnt see that one coming, but since Johan Kvick (pretty much the mastermind behind FLash Engineering) is now with Team Tidö I guess it wasnt that a long-shot.
So who will the 2nd driver be, that seat all of a sudden I'm guessing became very lucrative. And how will replace him in WCR 4 car assault?
Old 14 Feb 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3368380)   #70
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa, wait, we acutally got some STCC news today!

Göransson at Team Tidö, not that big of a surprise (he drove a Porsche for Tidö in the classic Safari Rally this winter). And from what I heard earlier, West Coast Racing seems to be loosing a lot of backing from BMW in STCC. Team Tidö is a very good och professional outfit, and with Göransson onboard they are a serious threat to Volvo.

Now, how about letting Göransson drive the rallycross championship in one of Per Eklund's SAAB 9-3?. That would be something!
Old 17 Feb 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3369281)   #71
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Five rule changes have been introduced for the 2014 Scandinavian Touring Car Championship: Reversed grid, Super Pole, points in qualifying, free testing and two heats for all race weekends.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3369300)   #72
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Some more changes is that the regulations has been extended one more year to 2016.

Also whoever has fastest time in Qual1 will have to send in his car setup before the first race so all teams can look at them (and even adopt them). This is a good move since all chassies are identical the teams that do not have the resources to test as much and are new to the car can catch up quicker.

The reverse grid is interesting, first Qual1 is run as normal, but points are awarded same way as in the races (1st gets 25p, 2nd gets 18 and so on) so everyone will want to be fastest. However, race 1 will be run with the top 10 from Qual1 reverse!

Then the top 8 (why not top 10?) from Qual1 will go out on a superpole and this will be the starting-grid for race 2.

Quite innovative, if you want max points, you will have to be quickest in Qual1 to get 25p, then start 10th in race one and win to get 25 more points, then be quick in superpole to try and win race 2.

This could provide some diversity for the races and I'm sure we'll see some surprises on the podium this year.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3369318)   #73
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One change dumber than the next. Full points for qualifying is such an admission of failure I don't know what to say. Andros Trophy gives out most of the points during qualifying, too. Because Andros lacks one thing. OVERTAKING. Also, more testing if you're not in the top six in the championship. Yay.

Makes you wonder what the point of the breakaway was if these suggestions - reverse grid and unequal testing - come from the teams. Yes, it's happening because people are bored out of their god damn skulls. You're fixing the wrong part of the problem, guys.

Can't believe it'll be another three years of this bullshit.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3369359)   #74
porsche962fan
Veteran

Dessert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post

Can't believe it'll be another three years of this bullshit.
don't watch it, watch BTCC instead
Old 18 Feb 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3369662)   #75
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yokohama are back as tyre suppliers for the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship for the 2014 season, replacing Hankook.