Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3369757)   #76
adamcas
Rookie

England
Old Hairpin, Donington Park
adamcas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cad
Old 22 Feb 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3370851)   #77
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
don't watch it, watch BTCC instead
We can't, it's not shown on TV in Sweden and finding reliable streams isn't exactly a walk in the park.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3370922)   #78
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
We can't, it's not shown on TV in Sweden and finding reliable streams isn't exactly a walk in the park.
It's also pretty sad to watch your domestic top series, which was once impressing considering the size of the Swedish motorsport industry, turn to sh*t.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 11:32 (Ref:3370955)   #79
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
It's also pretty sad to watch your domestic top series, which was once impressing considering the size of the Swedish motorsport industry, turn to sh*t.
Pretty much the understatement of the year right there.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3370993)   #80
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
there are some good streams and in any case they usually the whole races are 2-3 days later on youtube in full !!
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3371546)   #81
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Can someone just briefly explain why the STCC now is struggling?

I am aware there was a split a few years ago, after initially pondering the NGTC rules (and they went with Solution F - kinda like a DTM ruleset?), but I am a bit lost now as to why things are so bad...?
Old 24 Feb 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3371563)   #82
revolucion
Rookie

Sweden
revolucion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Can someone just briefly explain why the STCC now is struggling?

I am aware there was a split a few years ago, after initially pondering the NGTC rules (and they went with Solution F - kinda like a DTM ruleset?), but I am a bit lost now as to why things are so bad...?
In my opinion:

- Tracks are quite underdeveloped and, in all honesty, too small (except for Anderstorp and Mantorp). Not enough straights to produce overtaking opportunities. Kind of like DTM at Brands Hatch every single race weekend.

- Cars are too fast for the tracks which leads to too few overtakes.

Regarding to these two points I'd say what worked quite well with the Super Tourer-era in STCC was that the cars allowed a bit of contact. Passing by contact is one of few ways to pass on these tracks with these kind of cars.

- Television coverage is awful. Production and commentary are way below levels of for example BTCC.

Personally I wouldn't say I'm fond of the Solution F-cars but they were probably the only option for STCC 2013 and 2014 after NGTC were voted down by a majority of the teams. Some claim that the noise limitations (95 db) is the major issue.

Super Touring- as well as S2000-regulations worked in Sweden because it became quite cheap to buy old cars that had previously raced in other countries. An absolute majority of the Super Touring-cars were cars that were at least 2-3 years old. Same with S2000. Of course, what's nice about these cars is that they have some kind of brand identity. A Volvo is a Volvo even though there's a lot of parts that could be developed for all the cars. I'd say NGTC could have worked in Sweden in 2-3 years when cars became cheaper. TTA (current STCC regulations) on the other hand is a silhouette series with Nissan V6 engines that the brands want nothing to do with. WestCoast Racing can't call their "BMWs" M3s and are instead obliged to call them BMW Silhouette Replicas. Not sure this brings exclusivity and brand identity to the spectators.

As of today tracks are too old and underdeveloped, cars are too fast, silent and not genuine and the media coverage isn't up to par. Support package is ok, teams are very professional and driver standards is excellent.

The new rules are, of course, a joke. Sure - reversed grids are a good way to fabricate more exciting races but full points for qualification? What, why? Stop with the stupid points for qualification, fastest lap and whatever not. Just two races with reversed grid for race 1 or 2 and points for race positions.

I still like and follow STCC, but I'm sure a lot could be done to make the series more interesting for other possible spectators.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3371626)   #83
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
So what happened to the S2000 and STCC? Did the STCC become the TTA? So have the S2000 cars vanished?
Old 24 Feb 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3371656)   #84
revolucion
Rookie

Sweden
revolucion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So what happened to the S2000 and STCC? Did the STCC become the TTA? So have the S2000 cars vanished?
After the 2011 season STCC split into two championships: STCC and TTA. STCC continued with a mixture of NGTC, S2000, "WTCC 1.6 litre" Turbo and Biogas engined cars. TTA went with Solution F.

TTA ran one season by itself under the name "TTA - Racing Elite League". After the 2012 season TTA and STCC once again joined forces for the 2013 "STCC - Racing Elite League", now with TTA regulations.

S2000 cars are vanished. Some are left in Sweden and some have been sold abroad. A majority of the teams that went for STCC in 2011 lost a lot of money on cars that from 2012 couldn't be used, and haven't returned since. The rest of them recieved economical support during the season, just to keep the competitor numbers up throughout the year.

NIKA Racing went on to WTCC with their Chevrolet 1.6T. Neither NIKA or Kristoffersson Motorsport (KMS) seems interested in returning to STCC (racing series) as things stand, although what NIKAs 2014 plans are seems a bit of a mystery. KMS will field a couple of rallycross cars in the new STCC Rallycross series.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3371907)   #85
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are many reasons why STCC are where they are right now.

One thing is the failure to turn SwedishTCC into the ScandinavianTCC swallowing DTC (which was already in a steep decline at the time).

Next big failure was to allow KMS to run a factory VW team with biogas turbo cars, effectively setting up the inevitable argument why all teams in STCC where running to different regulations and trying to balance them with limiting turbo boost, lobbying with weights from race to race and so on.
This is the main reason why all big teams exept KMS (which were running biogas turbos) and NIKA (which where running/going to run 1.6l turbo car) and Enström (going to run 2.0l turbo NGTC) got tired of the shitty regulations with the even more shitty equalisation (or lack of) between the cars. Going spec chassies with spec engines would solve that.

S2000 couldnt live on in STCC since the STCC organisation didnt know how to control it, allowing more and more cars that where outside of the regulations to start with. NGTC was at the time too new, and werent suited to Sweden, since building new cars were still expensive and buying old cars from BTCC for reasonable price where still going to be a few years off.

In addition to this, you have the crappy live coverage, sure its live, thats atleast something, but it sucks.
You also have the new 95db noise rule for Swedish tracks since 1-2 years back, which not even SolutionF cars can keep to eventhough they are dead quiet, how fun is that?
This leads to the ongoing fight between the SBF (Swedish governing body of racing) and trackowners/various other people that almost caused the SBF to abandon STCC compleatly, and has put several tracks on the verge of being shut down (Tierp arena is for sale due to bankruptcy, Anderstorp and Gelleråsen doenst wanna play with STCC case it costs too much and so on).

There, breif rundown on why STCC is where it is, and I probably forgot to mention twice as much
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3371951)   #86
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post

There, breif rundown on why STCC is where it is, and I probably forgot to mention twice as much
any ideas how to save it ?

I would say allow NGTC too, since now used NGTC cars from Britain shouldn't be a problem anymore

and I talk about a progressive transition with 2 classes system for a few years with Solution F being phased out completely in 4-5 years. Also instate the rule to ban all new entries of Solution F cars, only exiting teams are allowed to run them

also try to bring proper tracks back like Anderstorp and hire more competent coverage directors
Old 10 Mar 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3377136)   #87
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, no Picko Troberg Racing this year. PTR and his sponsors (including DHL) puts their money into historic racing instead, where one of the drivers is a gentleman at 89 years old. Honestly, that old bloke is one hell of a driver.

Still, two months left for the openeing round, things can change. But after having followed the championship since 1996, it hurts both my eyes and heart to see in what state STCC is at today...
Old 10 Mar 2014, 18:49 (Ref:3377147)   #88
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson View Post

Still, two months left for the openeing round, things can change. But after having followed the championship since 1996, it hurts both my eyes and heart to see in what state STCC is at today...
then don't bother watching it anymore

and regarding splits in Germany there was a less known split of touring cars in which both series managed to survive

I am talking about the original DTM , in 1993 the series split

short background, up that point the DTM run on Group A rules and manufacturer entries consisted of Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Opel with some other private entries from Toyota, Ford etc

well in 1993 they switched to class 1 rules but Audi and BMW split away and new STW was formed for 1994 running to class 2 rules, more known as Super Tourers

back to the DTM in their Class 1 rules works entries to Mercedes, Opel and Alfa Romeo

Class 1 rules where essentially F1 cars with Siloutte bodies , and everything which was banned in F1 was allowed in it , Traction control, 4x4 , ABS, all sorts of gearbozes , even mobile aero wings

both series were very well supported with works and privateers , the DTM did demise 3 years later at the end of 1996 but causes unrelated to the split

STW survived 3 more years until 1999 again demise unrelated to the split , both cases was essentially spiraling costs and who knows, perhaps FIA interference .. (but that's another story)

so a split isn't always fatal like some point it out
Old 10 Mar 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3377149)   #89
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I am not sure that is a valid comparison, though. The ammount of money that was in the German Touring Car scene in the 1990s was absurdly high...

Not only did you have DTM and STW, there was also DTC for Group N cars and the original ADAC GT series, which was always more of a some Porsches + a bunch of touring cars series. Not to mention VLN and a whole bunch of spec series...
Old 10 Mar 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3377153)   #90
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either way...

It's Picko Troberg's comments that put a dampener on things: “I got tired of STCC last year. I am in it to have fun and that is why we are going for historic racing instead.” Pretty damning. A shame.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3377178)   #91
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But not entirely truthful. Those who know Picko will replace "fun" with "money". Historic racing is just a hobby, STCC has always been business to him.

Either way it (again) makes you wonder who will race this year. The way I see it Göransson and Andersson are confirmed. And Volvo will be there with something like 3-5 cars (4 I suppose?). Has there been a single article about WCR, Brovallen, Engström since jan 1? At least Haglöf popped up with an opinion about the new race format but otherwise? But hey, maybe we'll get 12+ cars and it won't look completely embarrasing.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3377222)   #92
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
then don't bother watching it anymore

and regarding splits in Germany there was a less known split of touring cars in which both series managed to survive

I am talking about the original DTM , in 1993 the series split

short background, up that point the DTM run on Group A rules and manufacturer entries consisted of Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Opel with some other private entries from Toyota, Ford etc

well in 1993 they switched to class 1 rules but Audi and BMW split away and new STW was formed for 1994 running to class 2 rules, more known as Super Tourers

back to the DTM in their Class 1 rules works entries to Mercedes, Opel and Alfa Romeo

Class 1 rules where essentially F1 cars with Siloutte bodies , and everything which was banned in F1 was allowed in it , Traction control, 4x4 , ABS, all sorts of gearbozes , even mobile aero wings

both series were very well supported with works and privateers , the DTM did demise 3 years later at the end of 1996 but causes unrelated to the split

STW survived 3 more years until 1999 again demise unrelated to the split , both cases was essentially spiraling costs and who knows, perhaps FIA interference .. (but that's another story)

so a split isn't always fatal like some point it out
For sure, I have been commenting the split, the new regulations etc. before. But nowhere in my recent reply I said anything about the split over 2 years ago.

Not many years ago, manufacturers like VW and Volvo developed expensive S2000 cars only for the tiny Swedish market just to win STCC, since the title STCC meant something in motorsport and advertisement even outside Sweden. Today, no manufacturer besides Volvo and Dacia wants anything to do with STCC, the races are boring and media has lost interest despite the loss of turbo pressure adjustments etc. You can always question how fair success balance etc. was, but it sure gave media a lot to write about with good exposure for the championship (not for us racing puritans, but for the market value of STCC).

West Coast Racing lost their BMW backing before christmas, therefore Göransson left for Team Tidö who has solid economy. It's just like Jimmy Magnusson says, it's been awefully quiet and we should be happy to see 12 cars on the grid. Volvo will be there, especially since Volvo/Polestar and Greger Pettersson at Sportpromotion (affiliated to West Coast Racing) owns pretty much the whole grid .

What honestly hurts me the most is that there's no excitement about STCC these days. Not from STCC themselves, not from the crowd, not from media and not from the teams (who used to be so good with all youtube movies, webcams etc.). The circuits (Tierp and Östersund) both went bankruptcy, and some of the reamining ones are facing extra costs to host rallycross events, too. Everything is just missing that little extra, and all in all it makes it look very sad when you think of every promisses that was made about the new cars and new generation of Elite Racing.

Just take a tour on the websites of STCC AB, the teams or the drivers. With a very few exceptions, all you see is silence or some news made up with 99% buzzwords from the world of racing. For sure, it's still early and silly season, but despite me not being over 30 years old I've still been around long enough to see the difference between regular silly season and something being not quite right. And a legend like Picko Troberg clearly stating "it's not fun anymore" basically says it all .

Last edited by Pettersson; 10 Mar 2014 at 21:45. Reason: bad spelling day :)
Old 11 Mar 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3377271)   #93
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:

Just take a tour on the websites of STCC AB, the teams or the drivers. With a very few exceptions, all you see is silence or some news made up with 99% buzzwords from the world of racing. For sure, it's still early and silly season, but despite me not being over 30 years old I've still been around long enough to see the difference between regular silly season and something being not quite right. And a legend like Picko Troberg clearly stating "it's not fun anymore" basically says it all .
so perhaps it would be time to a very sick and dying man to give him a mercy bullet to put it out of its misery, close down the STCC ??
Old 11 Mar 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3377315)   #94
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
  1. Polestar - Thed Björk - Volvo S60 - Likely
  2. Polestar - Fredrik Ekblom - Volvo S60 - Likely
  3. Polestar - Linus Olsson - Volvo S60 - Likely
  4. Polestar - Prince Carl Philip Bernadotte - Volvo S60 Likely
  5. Polestar - TBA - Volvo S60 - Possible
  6. Team Tidö - Rickard Göransson - SAAB - Confirmed
  7. Team Tidö - TBA - SAAB - Confirmed
  8. WCR - Fredrik Larsson - BMW - Likely
  9. WCR - TBA - BMW - Likely
  10. WCR - TBA - BMW - Possible/Likely
  11. WCR - TBA - BMW - Possible/Likely
  12. Dacia Dealer Team (MA:GP) - Mattias Andersson - Dacia - Confirmed
  13. PWR - Daniel Haglöf - SAAB? - Confirmed
  14. PWR - TBA - SAAB? - Likely
  15. Brovallen - Jocke Mangs - Citroen? - Likely
  16. Brovallen - Alx Danielsson - Citroen? - Likely
  17. Engström Motorsport - Thomas Engström - Honda - Possible

I'm still hopeful of a grid bigger then 12 cars, much depends on how many cars Polestar and WCR will feild. If WCR has lost all backing from BMW as suggested then it doenst look very good.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3377357)   #95
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So why did West Coast Racing lose their BMW support?
Old 11 Mar 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3377394)   #96
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So, no Picko Troberg Racing this year. PTR and his sponsors (including DHL) puts their money into historic racing instead, where one of the drivers is a gentleman at 89 years old. Honestly, that old bloke is one hell of a driver.
And I thought historic racing was for old cars
Old 11 Mar 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3377407)   #97
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how most people that followed Flash's "vision" now pull out like thieves in the night, one by one by one...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." And it wouldn't have been that difficult to take a look at IndyCar following the IRL/CART split...
Old 11 Mar 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3377428)   #98
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Picko Troberg was never a part of that tho And also, he has a history of entering and leaving STCC, been doing so like 4 times over the past 15 years. Wouldnt draw any conclusions on that at all.

Out of the 4 teams leaving STCC to create TTA, 3 are left, and we also gained a team in the form of Team Tidö, that in some way is a result from Flash Engineering. So status quo basicly.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3378778)   #99
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
The STCC is a dead man walking - it just doesn't know it yet.

Might as well buy some used NGTC cars from the BTCC and hope the STCC rises like a phoenix from the ashes in a couple of years.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3378806)   #100
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The STCC is a dead man walking - it just doesn't know it yet.

Might as well buy some used NGTC cars from the BTCC and hope the STCC rises like a phoenix from the ashes in a couple of years.
Well if you are looking for NGTC models with existing design work done, you have the following cars to choose from:

Audi A4
Audi S3
BMW 125i
Chevrolet Cruze 4d
Chevrolet Cruze 5d
Ford Focus
Honda Civic
Honda Civic Tourer
Mercedes A45
MG6
Proton Gen-2
Toyota Avensis
Vauxhall Insignia
Volkswagen Passat

Quite a reasonable range these days. And with minimal effort you could gain Opel & Skoda too.