Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 20 Jan 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2109799)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frazer Nash Continental GT FHC

This is one that stopped me in my tracks in the paddock at Silverstone on 12 May 2007 (HSCC meeting). As a 10 year old, it was one of the cars in the Observer's book of cars that really caught my eye. It appeared in at least 3 successive years in that book which described it as 'in production'. Oh, if only that were true. I never saw one and I now understand that only one was ever built.

Shown in chassis form only at 1956 Motor show it reappeared at the 1957 show fully clothed. Powered by a BMW V8 engine. 50 years later, I can at least say that I have now seen it in the flesh:-

Last edited by John Turner; 20 Jan 2008 at 11:49.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2114524)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Deathly silence on this! Has no-one anything to say? Did you all know about it already? What do you think? To me it was quite a 'find' and as unexpected as it was a delight to see.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2973180)   #3
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Deathly silence on this! Has no-one anything to say? Did you all know about it already? What do you think? To me it was quite a 'find' and as unexpected as it was a delight to see.
just to revive this a little.
The car was shown this year at the Earls Court exhibition during the Goodwood Revival. It is owned by Julian Majzub, famously known for his eclectic choice to own extraordinary cars.
Edit: I had prepared a picture of the car, but apparently and strangely the attachment system does not work here.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2114556)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cough!...moves weight from one foot to tuther...ergh, competiton history??
Old 27 Jan 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2114581)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Erm ... wrong forum for competition history, mate. This is the Classic car forum, where for the most part we are talking about road cars!
Old 27 Jan 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2114725)   #6
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember it vaguely, John, in the days I was reading most UK automotive mags in my yoof and dripping saliva oe'r the pages.

Many odd makes experienced a short rebirth in those far off days.

Of course, Bill Boddy used to write oodles about "The Chain Gang", going back to Archie Fraser Nash's very pretty and successful small sports cars with, I seem to recall Anzani engines?

Nice to see the pics I must say. Pretty car from a side view.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2973231)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post
Of course, Bill Boddy used to write oodles about "The Chain Gang", going back to Archie Fraser Nash's very pretty and successful small sports cars with, I seem to recall Anzani engines?
Jenks wrote a great book about the history of Frazer Nash. Chain Drive to Turbo Charger. Probably long out of print but worth a read if you can get hold of a copy.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2973237)   #8
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Jenks wrote a great book about the history of Frazer Nash. Chain Drive to Turbo Charger. Probably long out of print but worth a read if you can get hold of a copy.
Went through all my FN shots this morning, (that's why I came across the V8) and there are really some interesting cars, the sight of the oversteering chain drivers in fun. (Although Blakeney-Edwards can drive with no hands at all) What I want is factual information on the different models, specs and numbers. That would greatly help us to publish some more on the individual models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9992.1.jpg (350.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 17 Nov 2012, 08:20 (Ref:3167371)   #9
trigwell
Rookie

trigwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
What I want is factual information on the different models, specs and numbers. That would greatly help us to publish some more on the individual models.
Are you still looking for that information on Frazer Nash Pieter? I am a Frazer Nash Club registrar and could help. Jenks' book quoted earlier is a good starting point and is easily obtained on ebay.

James
Old 17 Nov 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3167408)   #10
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigwell View Post
Are you still looking for that information on Frazer Nash Pieter? I am a Frazer Nash Club registrar and could help. Jenks' book quoted earlier is a good starting point and is easily obtained on ebay.

James
That would be great, I have sent you a PM.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2116058)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice looking car, but would the chassis hold its end up? Would this have been slightly earlier than the BMW 507?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2973225)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Julian co-drove the Sunbeam Tiger that shared our garage at the Spa 6hrs last month.

You can try to uploads pics now.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2973227)   #13
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Thanks, this is about the only reasonable shot I got, it was dark as hell, and the car was put in a rather cramped position. (They also had it there in 2010 located even worse.) Let's hope it will be shown more often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JQ6M4511.1.jpg (632.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2977614)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Good to see that the public have had the opportunity of seeing the subject matter of this thread, thank you, Pieter. Still think, that as a one off, it's more than a bit special.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3167374)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Welcome to our friendly forum trigwell.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3175366)   #16
246tasman
Rookie

246tasman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about chassis 421/200/300 which was said to be the prototype for the Continental and displayed in bare chassis form? I understand this was basically a Le Mans Rep fitted with the BMW V8. It was then apparently fitted by Peel with a coupe body for Le Mans 1956 but didn't arrive. The body was then removed and it converted back to a LMR body. It was advertised for sale a while back.
I'd love to see a photo of the Peel body.