Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 8 Mar 2009, 06:47 (Ref:2411382)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which A1GP drivers would be competitive in F1?

Which A1GP drivers do you guys think would be competitive in F1?

For me it would be Adam Carroll, Neel Jani and Filipe Albuquerque.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2411428)   #2
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adam Carroll definitely.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2411444)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view it would be Adam Carroll and Neel Jani. On a slighty different note, I'd like to see Danny Watts being given a chance in a F1 car, but I am unsure as to what his potential would be.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2411701)   #4
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't rule out Robert Doornbos ( he was quicker than David Coulthard in the Red Bull car ).

It's hard to say really... Sutil for instance.. I was not impressed with him while he drove for Germany in season 1, but everybody still sees him as a bigger talent than, say, Nelson Piquet jr.

Likewise: Premat or Lapierre were never even considdered for F1 eventhough they dominated season 1.

As for giving a go: I'd say let Jeroen B have a go... he may not be the fastest in raw speed, but he's consistant and makes very vew errors. He has a decent finishing record if you ask me (his only DNF of his own fault is Beijing 2006)
Old 9 Mar 2009, 02:39 (Ref:2411783)   #5
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Doornbos, I'd forgotten about him.

Do other people agree, disagree are neutral or undecided about Albuquerque?
Old 9 Mar 2009, 04:07 (Ref:2411805)   #6
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'll be interesting to see how he does in F1. I think he'll be competitive.

I think most A1 drivers will have it tough, I think. Nico Huelkenberg for instance is way off the pace compared to the Williams lead driver, although it's not a fair comparison.

Neel Jani... maybe... just maybe. Adam Carroll has more chance, IMO. Doornbos, maybe... but IMO... that's more of a remote chance than anything. He wasn't exactly stellar in F1.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 05:05 (Ref:2411824)   #7
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
earl bamber
Old 9 Mar 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2411893)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Don't think any of them would set F1 on fire if they got a drive tomorrow.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2411931)   #9
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt View Post
I think most A1 drivers will have it tough, I think. Nico Huelkenberg for instance is way off the pace compared to the Williams lead driver, although it's not a fair comparison.
As in judging A1 rookies.. we don't know the full details.. perhaps Nico H was testing racepace and the other quali pace.. we don't know..

Unless it starts to become a habit off course.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2411977)   #10
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes View Post
As in judging A1 rookies.. we don't know the full details.. perhaps Nico H was testing racepace and the other quali pace.. we don't know..
That is certainly the grounds why I think it's probably not a fair comparison. We will see how it goes because Nico H reckons he *should* have a full-time F1 seat by 2010.

Generally, I don't know any driver that will surely make a huge splash in the F1 scene. For me, I can name my favourite drivers that might make some sort of impact from A1GP to F1.

1. Nico Huelkenberg (just a maybe)
2. Rob Wickens (another maybe)
3. Adam Carroll (his chances look good)
4. Neel Jani (maybe)
5. Felipe Albuquerque (also someone I like)
6. Loic Duval (remote chance)
7. Robert Doornbos (remote chance)
8. Jeroen Bleekemolen (maaaybe)
9. Clivio Piccione (I like his chances)
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2412835)   #11
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
I do have to add that Jeroen B is not trying to get into F1. His name is established and apart from F1 and/ or Indy, he can pretty much chose his drives for the season.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2412949)   #12
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adam Carroll would be ok. Bobby D certainly would do alright. Bleekemolen is capable enough around the sort of Timo Glock sort of level - maybe Jani too
Old 12 Mar 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2414425)   #13
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Yoong (ducks for cover)
Old 12 Mar 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2414454)   #14
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Alex Yoong (ducks for cover)
Why make those poor ducks suffer That's animal cruelty you know

Since Yoong hasn't been in the new car (yet) I am not thinking of him as an A1 driver anymore. But he was more competative than most of us bargained for.

When he was faster than Jos Verstappen in F1, we said 'the Minardi runs with an empty tank etc'

In A1, he definately showed to everyone that he was capable of being faster, and not just occasionally.

So yes, Yoong for me too.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2414525)   #15
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought all the traffic went the other way.........failed as driver in F1, surfaced in A1 and gradually faded away............
Old 13 Mar 2009, 02:31 (Ref:2414679)   #16
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Was Yoong ever faster than Verstappen? I don't think F1 was a good reflection on his ability, he lost confidence quickly and that was that.

He was good in the first two seasons of A1GP (especially the second one) but seemed to fade last season. I wonder if it's because he now has other interests, he did recently pull out of GP2 because he said he cannot focus on it due to the other things he is doing.

But anyway I would not rate Yoong as being able to be competitive in F1, he would be well off the pace in my opinion.

It's not all going in one direction, there are ex A1GP drivers in F1, e.g. Piquet and Buemi. Possibly Hulkenberg in 2010, who established his reputation in A1GP.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 02:40 (Ref:2414681)   #17
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Save the ducks

I think Yoong is a good 'race day' driver. He showed a lot of confidence dicing with other drivers without too many silly mistakes. In fact I can only recall maybe 1 or 2 mistakes which didn't harm anyone anyway.

If F1 is such that drivers only arriving at the circuit on Sunday, jump in and drive I think Yoong would do ok (I'm ducking too)

But F1 (and other series) is a lot more about the race on Sunday. He seemed to have struggled with the team right from the beginning of each race weekend, hence inconsistent, sometimes downright poor qualifying( in season 3), requiring hard driving on Sunday.

Because of that, his results in F1 may not be consistent either. May even end up a lot worse than his team mate. He was outclassed by his team mate Bamber in GP2 Asia recently, which did not do him any favours at all. Certainly did not reflect his capability. I actually feel for the guy. But F1 is a tough world and he won't do well if he can't rid of his 'demons'
Old 13 Mar 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2415059)   #18
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
I still have the idea that something else was going on in season 3 with team Malaysia.

I can't simply believe that a team that was very competative in season 2 suddenly lost it in season 3, while a team that struggled in season 2 suddenly started to become competative in season 3, up to even winning a race.

Therefore I have the feeling some chassis were swapped somewhere , probably without the knowledge of the teams.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2415229)   #19
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...Therefore I have the feeling some chassis were swapped somewhere , probably without the knowledge of the teams.
That is possibly the most ludicrous thing I have ever read on this forum.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2415813)   #20
diabloA1
Racer

Quote:
I still have the idea that something else was going on in season 3 with team Malaysia.

I can't simply believe that a team that was very competative in season 2 suddenly lost it in season 3, while a team that struggled in season 2 suddenly started to become competative in season 3, up to even winning a race.

Therefore I have the feeling some chassis were swapped somewhere , probably without the knowledge of the teams.
If my memory serves me correctly, Ireland replaced their chassis(tub) in early season 2 while Malaysia replaced theirs in time for Brands that same season. Both complained the loss of stiffness.

It's not a problem that would go unnoticed as teams can compare data with 'sister' teams and spot the problem right away. There was a lot of speculation in season 3 on team Malaysia with regards to this but the team prinicipal himself ruled that out. They did check and the tub stiffness was within limits.

There were no major changes within the malaysian team in seasons 1 through 3 except for change of race engineers mid season, though in season 3 they had Greg Wheeler do the whole season. Many unlucky factors conributed to the poor performance in season 3 but the heart of it was the Wheeler-Yoong combo no working out.

Right from Donington this season it was clear that the Mugglestone-Fauzy combo was very good. Fauzy also matured as a driver in the last 1-2 years beating Bruno Senna in the wet in GP2 Asia at Sentul, podium finish at Monaco at WSbR plus a few other highlights. Mugglestone never engineered an A1GP car before but his track record is impressive.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2415815)   #21
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloA1 View Post
Mugglestone
Is that a nickname or seriously is the guy's name?
Old 15 Mar 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2416015)   #22
diabloA1
Racer

Alan Mugglestone is his real name. Not something derived out of Harry Potter!
Old 15 Mar 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2416114)   #23
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Ireland replaced their chassis(tub) in early season 2 while Malaysia replaced theirs in time for Brands that same season. Both complained the loss of stiffness.

It's not a problem that would go unnoticed as teams can compare data with 'sister' teams and spot the problem right away. There was a lot of speculation in season 3 on team Malaysia with regards to this but the team prinicipal himself ruled that out. They did check and the tub stiffness was within limits.

There were no major changes within the malaysian team in seasons 1 through 3 except for change of race engineers mid season, though in season 3 they had Greg Wheeler do the whole season. Many unlucky factors conributed to the poor performance in season 3 but the heart of it was the Wheeler-Yoong combo no working out.

Right from Donington this season it was clear that the Mugglestone-Fauzy combo was very good. Fauzy also matured as a driver in the last 1-2 years beating Bruno Senna in the wet in GP2 Asia at Sentul, podium finish at Monaco at WSbR plus a few other highlights. Mugglestone never engineered an A1GP car before but his track record is impressive.
Isn't wheeler now with India??
Old 15 Mar 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2416116)   #24
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Greg Wheeler was team Malaysia's engineer in season 1 too... so what happened overthere that it suddenly wasn't working out anymore?
Old 16 Mar 2009, 02:06 (Ref:2416367)   #25
diabloA1
Racer

Quote:
If my memory serves me correctly, Greg Wheeler was team Malaysia's engineer in season 1 too... so what happened overthere that it suddenly wasn't working out anymore?
The relationship between the two changed. Made worse by the unlucky results early in that season.