Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Dec 2002, 08:29 (Ref:443965)   #1
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Autosport Show

my mum just ordered our tickets for the autosport show in janurary. on the phone she mentioned that i was a marshal and in the past we have got in free or have had a discount. B****r me they actually gave us 2 for the price of 1 on tickets. great stuff. you should all try it. dont know wether it was a mistake but its worth a try
Old 6 Dec 2002, 14:01 (Ref:444202)   #2
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Membership of the BRSCC entitles you to free entry to the show
Old 6 Dec 2002, 14:14 (Ref:444219)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
As does being an MSA license holder, whether as an official or a driver.

Steve T
Old 6 Dec 2002, 14:15 (Ref:444220)   #4
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
And you can go on the Thursday or Friday which are not public days and therefore more drivers are around, etc!
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:07 (Ref:444265)   #5
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecuse the ignorance - what dates is it on?

Does anyone have a phone number for tickets?
Old 6 Dec 2002, 16:12 (Ref:444352)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Sorry, at work so can't get access to Autosport site (www.autosport.com). Link to show is from there with details.

Steve
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:04 (Ref:447546)   #7
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
So who's going to the show, especially on the Friday when Jackie and I will be making an appearance!!!!!???????

Legs
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:27 (Ref:447552)   #8
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you goin Gnomex?
Old 12 Dec 2002, 09:35 (Ref:448141)   #9
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hog - Maybe - got to speak to S.W.M.B.O. (She who must be obeyed). Will advise soonest.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 10:12 (Ref:448159)   #10
Hog
Racer

Yeah - keep me posted - might make the trip this year for the first time.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:40 (Ref:448672)   #11
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might make it on Friday, but I'm not sure its worth it. £20 admission + £10 for the Indoor arena + £3.50 for a program = a lot of beer tokens. However if you can put up with the crowds over the weekend and can forego the engineering exhibitons its only £24 for admissision and the Indoor arena. The programms will be extra. As I say I might make it but Autosport are being bit tight on the economics. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it work out cheaper last year to go as a Non-BRSCC member (with a MSA license)on the Thursday/Friday with the full package than to go on the public weekend. This year appears to be different.
Maybe if I was more interested in the internal workings of the latest "whatever" valve I might have a different perspective but by and large the engineering shows leave me luke warm.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 23:07 (Ref:448703)   #12
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Having read Steve T's post I've just revisited the Aotosport International website to double check my details above. On the MSA License holders registration page they are showing all four days as £20 + £10 for the Indoor arena.
Checking again on the public pages its £24 all inclusive and £14 for admission only. What's going on?? anyone got any ideas??
Old 13 Dec 2002, 09:34 (Ref:448918)   #13
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not free for licence holders but you do get a discount and access to the 'trade' days.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 12:14 (Ref:448983)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
I can see what Chigley's saying. We are supposed to be getting a discount at £20 for admission on a trade day, yet the price of admission for the public day is only £14! Someone's ripping us off - why?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:35 (Ref:449039)   #15
Hog
Racer

Sorry Gnomex - that's just too much Moolah for me to spend on a day out. What am I going to do over Xmas now Lydden has been cancelled?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 14:13 (Ref:449073)   #16
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Well, I,m confused .......

but the explanation I've been given for the price difference is that if the public want to come on the Thursday or Friday they have to buy a gold pass from Autosport International at £30, whereas our "trade" price is only £20.

BUT the NEC themselves can, and are, selling tickets for admission on the public days at £14.00. Confused? I can't work this out.

Anyone know someone connected with Autosport International who can shed light on this????
Old 13 Dec 2002, 16:30 (Ref:449138)   #17
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
I recently bought this up with Autosport through the email contact address and got the following reply from Haymarket Publishing.

//Ian

It is correct that a trade pass plus a Live Action Arena ticket is £30. However the Thursday and Friday of the show are trade only days. Only people in the motorsport trade will be at the show on these days. Also the Autosport Engineering part of the show is only open on the trade days. The Engineering section is a very interesting part of the show and is a very good reason for paying the higher trade price.

Tickets for members of the public are for entrance on the Saturday and Sunday only when it will be a lot busier and the Engineering show has finished.

We have a strict registration process which ensures that members of the public may not enter on the trade days and that the trade visitors can enjoy the trade show without the crowds.

I hope this has helped to explain the difference between trade passes and public tickets. If you have any more questions please contact me.

Kind Regards

Lucy
Show Marketing//

The reason I put my 2 posts in was to find out if I was going through the wrong channels, but it does appear to be a rip off unless you hold an engineering degree.

This to me is another case of volunteering our time and energies for a sport we love for free, yet the one big exhibition of our sport ignores us.

As Steve says does anyone have any contacts who can rectify this? I know one answer is to join the BRSCC but that's a different agrument.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 16:52 (Ref:449158)   #18
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
I've just sent this reply to Autosport and will keep you updated on any reply.

//Lucy,

Thankyou for your reply but it does not help at all. I am a motor sport marshal and I give my time and energy for free to a sport I love. I am not an engineer and have no interest in what the latest "whatever" valves internal workings are. In previous years MSA officials have been given a discount, and BRSCC marshals have the luxury of free admission. This is discriminatory against other marshals who are just as eligible and deserving of this offer.

If you look at the MSA registration PDF download document you will find the prices for all FOUR days are £20 admission + £10 for the indoor arena; yet for the general public admission on the last 2 of those 4 days is £24 all inclusive, or, £14 for admission only!

You appear to be ripping off a group of people who give their time for free and without whom THERE WOULD BE NO MOTORSPORT.

Please explain this.//

Are any drivers or teams experiencing this when applying for tickets?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:22 (Ref:449396)   #19
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aww, lets us all know if its good, i cant make it cos its the weekend before my mock exams so whist you lucky peeps will be there i will be cramming and panicking cos i feel like im unprepared for my mocks! (spesh maths)
Old 17 Dec 2002, 00:11 (Ref:451513)   #20
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
As promised here is the answer from Autosport International. I think I'll go on the public days as trade is obviously aimed at trade. Why pay 30% more for very little extra.

Any comments??

//Dear Ian,
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the pricing policy for trade days at Autosport International.

In 1997, we decided to make the show two days trade and two days public. To begin with the trade visitors, MSA and BRSCC were allowed to enter the show free of charge before it was noticed that the public were gate-crashing on the trade days when they realised they could get in for free. Apart from the obvious fiscal set-back, this had the detrimental effect of delivering a very impure audience on our trade days when exhibiting companies were expecting to meet genuine industry visitors whose business is largely connected with motorsport.

To differentiate between public and trade/MSA we now charge £20 for trade entry and £14 for the public days. While I understand your concern at being asked to pay a higher price, we believe our pricing structure offers several benefits for both exhibiting companies and you as a serious industry visitor. Firstly, it ensures a greater purity of industry visitor on our designated trade days by discouraging the public, who, in the motorsport industry, are well known for pretending to be business connected. This means that exhibiting companies can meet trade visitors without being distracted and that as a industry visitor, you get to see more companies you need to talk to and hopefully, have more meaningful conversations, again without being distracted by hordes of public visitors.

Secondly, charging a higher price on the trade days enables us to provide extra facilities on the trade days which are designer to make doing business at the show easier. These include fast track entry using electronic swipe card technology, a complimentary business lounge with phone fax and computer facilities, translation services, catering and various other features designed to deliver a high-quality environment for meeting clients or for individuals to work.

Although it appears that BRSCC members attend the show free, the BRSCC pay for each member that comes along to the show. We do not have a similar agreement with the MSA I am afraid.

I understand that pricing is always a sensitive issue, however I hope you will appreciate we are making every effort to create a more business-like environment that will directly benefit exhibiting companies and industry visitors alike on our trade days. However it would be cheaper on the public days.

Nolan O'Connor
Autosport International - Marketing //
Old 3 Jan 2003, 08:01 (Ref:462530)   #21
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I assume that there are BRSCC members who read this and who have sent the form off for the free tickets. Has anyone actually received them yet? :confused:
Old 3 Jan 2003, 09:14 (Ref:462558)   #22
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No not yet but I did get missed and sent it in later than everyone else, fingers crossed they arrive before next week. I did see a line on the form that said they would be out for Jan 3rd.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 13:51 (Ref:462741)   #23
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got my ticket in the post today. Going on Friday. Who else will be there?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 12:20 (Ref:463482)   #24
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
goin on saturday- as a spectator and exhibitor now. ill be in the careers in motrsport section racing my gas powered model dragster. see you there if anyone is going. ill be in a blue, white, grey team shirt with the bmrmc logo on. hopefully i would have won the national and international championships by then
Old 4 Jan 2003, 12:28 (Ref:463490)   #25
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
should be there on saturday.
John you still traveling up on the train on saturday? If you are ill meet you there