Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Dec 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1185656)   #1
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone heard of my Grandma.

My Gran, Edna Pearce (who sadly passed away a few years ago) was apparently a rally driver back in the 60's and drove a Renault 8 Gordini in northern England rallies and was part of the Northallerton Automobile Club. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anything out about the results she got or any old pictures. Somehow all her stuff got lost sometime before I was even born. Northallerton AC have not replied to my emails and I dont really know where to look for rallying info.

Can anybody help because I would love to know more about my motor racing heritage.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:15 (Ref:1185657)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Mack, I'm putting a copy of this into Historic as well. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Good luck!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1185794)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks EP
Old 22 Dec 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1186206)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow. Just think of the fun your Grandad had.

Sorry can't provide anything serious but hope you get loads of info.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 03:48 (Ref:1189668)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mackfellow, when you say "rallys", do you think she did the sliding a car around in the muck sort of rallys or the timed things where people doodle about trying to arrive at a certain point having maintained an average of 30mph, you know, that sort of thing? Either way, having a grandmother who was a car nut is probably fairly rare. My grandmothers never drived, my mother never did (but is a complete backseat driver nonetheless) so I think thats pretty neat about your gran, especially going back 40 years. Wish you luck in turning up a photo or two and with any detective work in trying to find other competitors who would still be around and who may have more info.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1189744)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
She did the proper ones, like Trackrod and Christmas Stages. I did want to go up to the Christmas Stages this year but I was too busy working.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1189746)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ive just found out that my Great grandad was one of those weird people who ride a one horsepower vehicle. A horse. Apparently he was in the 1913 Derby 2 horses back from the kings horse when some woman ran out in front of it. His horse turned and ran. You'd never get that with a car.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1189995)   #8
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To DJB of Montreal - as a competitor myself on the 1960s I can assure that averaging 30 mph on the sort of roads chosen for those English Saturday Night Rallies is NOT doodling around. More like the first lap of a production car race except they go on for 6 hours or more.

When I first came to North America I was astounded that average speeds were set in the 50-60 MPH range but soon found out that most of those WERE doodles.

Chacun a son gout - hope that is somewhere near right - I generally translate it as "everyone has gout"
Old 30 Dec 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1190060)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'd never get that with a car."
even if the guy was wearing a kilt.....

derek, I confess to knowing pretty well diddley squat about the timed rallies, from an outsiders view, they always seemed like doodles, but yes, can see on tight twisty roads it would be quite a challenge. As for everyone having gout, I guess thats why they brought in iodized salt ;-)

I speak and work in French, but am genetically just as English as you lot.(both sides of the family)
Old 30 Dec 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1190061)   #10
dereklola
Racer

So what is the proper French saying? - something about "each to his own choice".
Old 30 Dec 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1190062)   #11
dereklola
Racer

Now back to Grandma - search on Ecurie Codfish - some of those guys are still around and might have some leads for you. Derek.
Old 31 Dec 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1190288)   #12
djb
Veteran

(Derek, yes, chacun Ã* son gout is the right expression)
Old 2 Jan 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1191728)   #13
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
What's Ecurie Codfish, it doesnt come up on yahoo
Old 2 Jan 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1191763)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ecurie Cod Fillet comes up on Google and guess what. Its a site about Don Barrow who was rallying at the same timr. Look here
Old 2 Jan 2005, 18:58 (Ref:1191764)   #15
dereklola
Racer

Oh dear - I must be from a past generation!

Ecurie Codfish was an informal but quite prestigious group of well known rallyists from the 60s - maybe into the 70s. The name came from a frequent and successful competitor who was a fish merchant - I think from Yorkshire. The name Fidler rings a bell. I last heard of them on Don Barrow's website few years ago - they had just had a reunion.

Who's Don Barrow? Reg McBride's navigator. Who's Reg McBride? Very successful older driver in the 60s who ran almost every Saturday night event and won the Motoring News championship many times.

Try finding Don Barrow - he was still selling rally equipment couple of years ago when I found his website. All Northerners.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1191766)   #16
dereklola
Racer

Thx Peter - codfish - cod fillet - who cares - except Google!
Old 2 Jan 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1191769)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And I believe Don is still in business. FWIW I always thought it was Cod Fish too.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 22:32 (Ref:1191908)   #18
dereklola
Racer

That funny sound you hear is me blowing my own trumpet.

The only MN event I competed in we beat Mcbride/Barrow - 6th vs 7th.
Poor for them - bloody marvellous for us!

Last edited by dereklola; 2 Jan 2005 at 22:33. Reason: spelling mistake - see I noticed!
Old 3 Jan 2005, 04:17 (Ref:1192012)   #19
djb
Veteran

thanks Peter for that link, a good read and I shall sleep a bit less ignorant of these types of rallies.