Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Dec 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1173168)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Le Mans : something else than Endurance ? (Was "as a grand prix track")

According to this article:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13947.html

lemans is one of a number of tracks that have presented to the GPWC with the intention of running a grand prix should the GPWC eventually get up and running.

I have heard these rumblings before and wonder what changes would be needed to presumably the Buggatti circuit and the infrastructure to enable this to happen and how would this then affect the atmosphere at the 24hr race?
Old 7 Dec 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1173207)   #2
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an eternal question but it's sure you won't see any grand prix in Le Mans until many and many years.

ALMS and LMES are increasing series and the ACO doesn't want to modify the track just to attrack another race.

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 7 Dec 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1173254)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Clearly its a way off as GPWC is still a few years away if it happens, but if the article is true and ACO did make representations then they must be interested.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1173265)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully I would never see the F1 Mafias going anywhere near Le Mans.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1173326)   #5
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm I doubt that we'll see the Gp wc in Le Mans, but the changes to the track itself won't be very substantial. But the facillaties (village, tunnels and some Grandstands around the Bugatti) sure need some attention. But I think some of those points will happen in '06.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1173387)   #6
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remeber rightly the French Grand Prix has been held at Le Mans a few times in the past. It would be interesting to see if the ACO would allow the race to happen and at what time of year will the race take place.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1173411)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only once Andrew, on the Bugatti in 1967.

Like Terry, I never want to see F1 at Le Mans.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 7 Dec 2004 at 13:20.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1173415)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the other hand, it would be the end of the gravel debate.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1173497)   #9
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent point Cybers!
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1173533)   #10
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ya, I hope GPWC or even F1 don't see the the light of day of racing at Le Mans!

Last edited by Garrett; 7 Dec 2004 at 15:39.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1173553)   #11
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems that the Bugatti circuit has always had is its length (besides the points previously mentioned about facilities). Proposals have been thrown about, looking for a way to make it longer, the cost has always been prohibitive, besides I dont know how much the ACO reallly wants to have F1 or now GPWC taking the glory away from the 24 hours. The proposal I remember, was to extend from the last esses before the raccordement almost parallel to the short shoot from Karting. Then come around and merge somewhere between the Porsche Curves and the bridge.

And I'm sure in their time, the module sportif and the press and vip levels were state of the art. A little outdated now (at least from the inside, i still think it looks like something from star wars from the outside though.)
Old 7 Dec 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1173624)   #12
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Bugatti is practically ready for F1. I only hope there won't be any new change in the Dunlop curve (a new-new chicane for instance).
But I won't buy a F1 ticket because a grand-prix lasts only 90' for a higher ticket price.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1173626)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
lemans is one of a number of tracks that have presented to the GPWC with the intention of running a grand prix should the GPWC eventually get up and running.
ACo says that it's a big NO NO...
Old 7 Dec 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1173663)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I personally have no problem with whatever races the ACO choses to host (including F1) as long as it has minimal impact on the June festivities we all know and love.

I wouldn't make the effort to travel down to watch, but others would, and maybe Our Race would gain some additional followers.

If the dubious glamour of F1 (or its successors) brings additional business to the Le Mans area and the ACO then fair play to them.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1175504)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I certainly wouldn't go to Le Mans to watch F1 (then again, I probably wouldn't go anywhere right now to watch F1). To my mind (and IMO, of course), there is only one thing to watch at Le Mans........
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1175508)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Humpage

If the dubious glamour of F1 (or its successors) brings additional business to the Le Mans area and the ACO then fair play to them.

Hmmm. Not convinced at all Guy.

The "dubious glamour" (excellent description, BTW ) would almost certainly bring with it yet more atrocities for parts of the track used for the 24 Hours - having seen enough over the last 20 years, I don't want to see any more. They can do what they like with the Bugatti.......
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1175511)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
there is only one thing to watch at Le Mans.......
Let me think... mortorbikes ?

this time, I'm fired !

Last edited by Fab; 9 Dec 2004 at 18:27.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1175518)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Motor bikes?

Those are those strange cars which have had two wheels fall off, aren't they?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1175522)   #19
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Motor bikes?

Those are those strange cars which have had two wheels fall off, aren't they?

yes, and a bended steering weel

and the very first sequential gear box
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1179015)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Even if ACO is reluctant, Sebastien Bourdais would like to promote a ChampCar race at LM in 2005 ; somes details are given today in Ouest France.

Daniel Poissenot thinks that 10M$ would be necessary to set the race, when Sebastien Bourdais is closer from 5M$, with the help of private sponsorship. They'll meet to see if it's possible to make a step forward...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1179025)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope we are talking about the full circut Fab and not the Bugatti track. The Bugatti track is fine, but its nothing special IMO, not sure if its got the required run off areas for Champ cars either, I saw a Euro F3 race from there last year and it looked a bit dangerous then, with 750bhp champ cars...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1179046)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
I hope we are talking about the full circut Fab and not the Bugatti track. The Bugatti track is fine, but its nothing special IMO, not sure if its got the required run off areas for Champ cars either, I saw a Euro F3 race from there last year and it looked a bit dangerous then, with 750bhp champ cars...
Sorry, if it ever happens, it will be on the Bugatti.

BTW : I posted I thread in the ChampCar forum (with MacDaddy approval) for those beeing interrested.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1179085)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought as much, too bad. Would have been a great sight seeing 750bhp champ cars coming down the Mulsanne straight, even with the damn chicanes lol. Ah well I can dream...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1179183)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think one of the great strengths of Le Mans is that the full circuit is only used once a year. It preserves a bit of glamour.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1179324)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
I think one of the great strengths of Le Mans is that the full circuit is only used once a year. It preserves a bit of glamour.
Almost twice now, with Le Mans Classic