9 13 17.33%
10 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Apr 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2444501)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Rate the Race - China

Unlike the last one, we got to the end! So no half marks this time.

I thought it was fantastic - difficult conditions but still some great racing, and not very many accidents compared to past races in similar conditions, which shows just how good these guys are. 9 from me.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Apr 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2444503)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, as usual, I find myself musing over two numbers. I'd likely go for 8.5 were it available.

It is 4am now. I'll have a sleep and think on it. Dreamland might provide some insight.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2444511)   #3
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feared the worst when they started behind the SC, but it then quickly turned into a very entertaining race with some very good driving on display. 9 from me.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2444514)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A cop out regarding the safety car start, but the race was very good.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2444517)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
A cop out regarding the safety car start, but the race was very good.
Yeah I agree with that, lost a point over that for me. It's funny how once the race starts they stop complaining
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2444525)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was chatting about this with Dutton in the chat room. At first, I was thinking of giving it my first 10. I started to think perhaps I should go for a 9, based on the safety car start which I thought went on too long (and I knocked a few points off Malaysia for the 'will they? won't they?' fiasco). Perhaps a closer head-to-head battle for the lead should be the thing to elevate it to a 10.

However, relying on objectivity in these threads is difficult, if not impossible (how do you objectively score a race? What are the factors and how do you classify them in each given race?), therefore I rely on subjectivity. For all that motor sport is a clinical thing, and highly scientific, sport remains an emotive experience, and this plays a part in my assessment.

Nevertheless, perhaps I should wait until I've re-watched the Grand Prix, as I do every Grand Prix. Then however, if I knock points off because I didn't enjoy it as much (given that I know basically what's going to happen and it's not the first-time experience), am I losing my approach based on subjectivity?

I would add something in response to a comment from Dutton that I didn't get a chance to reply to before he exited the chat room: he acknowledged a certain inevitability of judging the race with something of a subjective view, but stated that he wouldn't knock a score down if his favourite team (Ferrari) didn't perform as he'd have liked. I wish to say that I too adopt this approach (at least try to consciously), and in any case this is not too much of a problem for me as I am not overtly a fan of one particular driver or team).

I think I will try waiting to see it again and will report back what happens.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2444530)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7 - Overall a good race, but sadly it was started behind the safety car. Some boring parts too, including a Safety Car deployment.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2444534)   #8
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm afraid I can't rate it as highly as some of the previous posters. I didn't agree with the decision to start behind the Safety Car, and the first half of the race was fairly uneventful. The second half was much better though - some great battles out on the track, plenty of drama, interesting strategies and a fantastic climax with Red Bull taking their first victory with a 1-2 finish.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2444578)   #9
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
9 for me . The safetycar start spoiled the missing one to me
Old 19 Apr 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2444607)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm surprised to see it getting less than an 8, but that's the fun of the thread.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2444662)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
6.5/10

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2444685)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7, too much pansy safety car nonsense at the start.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2444706)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
6 for me, it was a good race but it didn't stop me from falling asleep a some point, but certainly because it was too early in the morning...
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2444708)   #14
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gave it a 9 - difficult to actually see what was happening at times and the start behind SC.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2444710)   #15
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8, for a great race overall; very enjoyable to watch.

I disliked the SC start, but it could have at least come in after one or two laps (at the most). Six or seven laps was a bit much, considering the track didn't improve one jot. I must say, though, that as frustrated as I was by the race start, Jonathan Legard and Martin Brundle did a great job in the box to keep me mildly entertained. It must have been a real nuisance for them to try to make the parade interesting - but they did a darn good job!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2444729)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
8 from me.
It's the first race I've seen this season and it kept me watching all the way through. Well done to all the drivers (except Kubica) who managed to keep it going (I know Massa didn't, but it wasn't his fault). Will Vettel now go on and seize the moment after such an awesome weekend.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2444736)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
7. Was not exactly a classic wet race. Vettel and RBR were just too good.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2444748)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah come on, who gave it a 10? At least post a comment to tell us why you think that it couldn't have been a better race...
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2444765)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Ah come on, who gave it a 10? At least post a comment to tell us why you think that it couldn't have been a better race...
Vettel
Old 19 Apr 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2444768)   #20
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

An entertaining race, surprised at the amount of cars able to get round the full distance.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2444773)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

ME!! But Im always entralled.. loved all of it!! WOW! Red Bulls first win. Ferrari useless. Sutil, so sad, no points.. great stuff.. toast got burnt in toaster, no bloody adverts to make brekky!!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2444777)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
You didn't give it a 10, you haven't voted...!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2444785)   #23
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good race but those safety car starts - thats just a cop out to keep to TV schedules - personally watching in the UK - cant be doing with the new commentator - he just talks rubbish

well done to RBR
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2444790)   #24
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Another strong race - 8

Yet more credit must go to the OWG (Symonds, Lowe & Byrne).
Old 19 Apr 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2444807)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just click on the number of people that voted and you'll see who voted.