Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2993897)   #1126
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Forced to view illegally!? No, you're not forced, that will be your choice.

It has the potential to be more than what we've had before. That is what is exciting. A dedicated F1 channel!
If I want to see the race live I will have to view it within my means. the sport wants viewers and fans, and if that means viewing a stream then that is what has to be done. I suppose illegal was the wrong word. it might not be illegal to view it I don't know, and I don't care deep down.

A dedicated F1 channel is more than some have ever had before. Most British fans will miss out, unless the BBC deliver as promised. I'm pretty sure the BBC will get more viewers.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2993900)   #1127
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
What about Radio 5?

I realise that this is all about the TV coverage, but does anyone know if Radio 5 will still be broadcasting live race commentary on the radio?
(Not that I'd consider such a thing, but if it was possible for me to somehow view the race coverage from somewhere without English commentary, I could turn that sound down and listen to radio 5...)
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2993903)   #1128
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of course they will. Most viewers aren't diehard fans, the coverage is good quality and the coverage is free. When it comes to volume of viewers BBC hold all the cards. This has always been clear and is an indication that there is not a lot to say on this.

A dedicated channel, actually any coverage and rights, costs. As most viewers aren't diehard then it is probably right that they don't contribute financially to the cost. However, that doesn't mean that a dedicated channel shouldn't be offered. At a cost.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2993921)   #1129
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
A dedicated channel, actually any coverage and rights, costs. As most viewers aren't diehard then it is probably right that they don't contribute financially to the cost. However, that doesn't mean that a dedicated channel shouldn't be offered. At a cost.
I just wish it was affordable to most rather than people on the higher wage bracket.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2993929)   #1130
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with a lot of things, it would be nice if it was cheaper. For instance here is an example where someone feels like this with trees:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...y-budgets.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley Young
SIR – My family recently conducted the yearly ritual of buying a Christmas tree.
We were lucky to find an 8ft tree for only £15. It was cheap because it was bent and not as bushy as the others.
The trees were sold in three categories – premium, standard and unclassified – and our tree fell into the last group. Most Christmas trees are far more costly, however. The popular Nordmann fir is around £50 for a 6ft tree. This is a huge amount of money for hard-pressed families to fork out.
Christmas tree sellers should remember the tough economic climate and make plenty of reasonably priced trees available.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2993930)   #1131
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
To be honest, the drivers are (in my mind) the least interesting thing on the grid walk, I prefer it when he talks to team members and stuff. With the drivers it's pretty much a given it'll be "We quallified in X but we think we have a stronger race pace, so yeah... I think we'll be going forward."
Mostly, true. We cringe as Brundle gets to doorstep latin lovelies from latin tv channels, so he's first inline to get slightly nervy drivers to loose off lifeless platitudes in respond to his stock questions. Or that torturous moment when Bernie mischievously pushes the local PM or celebriclown onto a mumbling Brundle and his microphone.

You do get the sense of the grid environment of course with the grid walk and Bernie occasionally reveals some snippet of his attitudes in the latest controversy he's in the middle of.

Last edited by Paradise City; 1 Dec 2011 at 12:06.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2993932)   #1132
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Forced to view illegally!? No, you're not forced, that will be your choice.

It has the potential to be more than what we've had before. That is what is exciting. A dedicated F1 channel!
You are forced to seek alternatives if you still want to view but can't afford it for financial reasons.

It has the potential to be more than you have had before. No need for the plural as most people won't buy or have Sky already.

It's only when Sky try to get the whole thing that I suspect sponsors will be seriously take notice. I hope common sense together with commercial considerations make a return to free to view as soon as possible. Otherwise F1 will diminish as a sport in the public eye, just as many others have before.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2993943)   #1133
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
You are forced to seek alternatives if you still want to view but can't afford it for financial reasons.
I'm sorry, but you are not forced to do anything illegal here, not forced to seek the alternative. This isn't feeding or clothing your children.
Quote:
It has the potential to be more than you have had before. No need for the plural as most people won't buy or have Sky already.
What I typed was perfectly OK and does not warrant an overly pedantic response. I could pendant back, it isn't difficult, but really what is the point. The difficult bit is real discussion, it seems.
Quote:
It's only when Sky try to get the whole thing that I suspect sponsors will be seriously take notice. I hope common sense together with commercial considerations make a return to free to view as soon as possible. Otherwise F1 will diminish as a sport in the public eye, just as many others have before.
I too would prefer it to be free to view live. However, and this seems to be what is getting in the way of a civalised discussion, I see the potential for a dedicated F1 channel. I'm sorry for that.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2993960)   #1134
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I too would prefer it to be free to view live. However, and this seems to be what is getting in the way of a civalised discussion, I see the potential for a dedicated F1 channel. I'm sorry for that.
I see that happening as well but it would make sense to have an affordable subscription that encourages a wider audience; it would certainly keep the sponors happy.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2993984)   #1135
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Agreed, although the main problem is the base package price for this. The F1 channel is free if you have the HD package, or the sports package. That is reasonable. However it is the base that is the problem.

Maybe the channel will also be available from other providers? Like virgin. The maybe it'll have a lower overall price? I'm not sure that is likely though. Presumably virgin is a similar price to sky?
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2993985)   #1136
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are not forced to do anything illegal here, not forced to seek the alternative. This isn't feeding or clothing your children.
I understand its not a life need, but I am very passionate about it and will do anything I can to make sure I get to watch the sport I have followed for so many years. If that means watching internet streams, then so be it. If I just sit by and accept I can't watch every race, then my interest may dwindle and thats bad for me and the sport IMO.
Quote:
What I typed was perfectly OK and does not warrant an overly pedantic response. I could pendant back, it isn't difficult, but really what is the point. The difficult bit is real discussion, it seems.

I can see the need for a dedicated F1 channel too, but one that all fans can watch. The more people watching the better it is for the sport, and unfortunately, pricing most people out of the market is reducing this possibility whilst at the same time providing those that can afford it with a nice product. I can't see the sense in that at all.

As has been said above, if Sky offered an affordable package, they'd get the viewers they needed and it would be good allround for the sport. In reality Sky are hoping people are just going to bite the bullet and buy an expensive subscription. They have purchased the coverage because the average BBC audience peak at 4.9m per race, and they naturally want to attract this audince to their company. The F1 is just a draw, and so far its been greeted with more opposition than they had hoped for.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2993987)   #1137
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I [...] will do anything I can to make sure I get to watch the sport I have followed for so many years.
Except pay for it it seems.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2993988)   #1138
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Except pay for it it seems.
I think I've made it perfectly clear I can't afford it. Thats easier said than done my friend!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2994013)   #1139
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I understand its not a life need, but I am very passionate about it and will do anything I can to make sure I get to watch the sport I have followed for so many years. If that means watching internet streams, then so be it. If I just sit by and accept I can't watch every race, then my interest may dwindle and thats bad for me and the sport IMO.
Then might I suggest getting a group of like-minded individuals and taking over the nearest pub or sports bar with Sky Sports (and hence the F1 channel) and spend the afternoon amongst friends and alcohol (soft drinks may be available for anyone driving of course)?

I am sure that if the gathering for F1 becomes larger than it would do for Ford Super Sunday Football, then you may just persuade the Pub to go to F1 when there is a Football type clash, and it may drag in a few more fans of the sport - who never realised they were fans in the first place...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2994017)   #1140
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Then might I suggest getting a group of like-minded individuals and taking over the nearest pub or sports bar with Sky Sports (and hence the F1 channel) and spend the afternoon amongst friends and alcohol (soft drinks may be available for anyone driving of course)?
lol, if there's delays for rain etc. then you could end up very drunk!

Or do shots whenever anyone says "for sure"!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2994020)   #1141
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I just wish it was affordable to most rather than people on the higher wage bracket.
I don't class myself as part of the higher wage bracket, although i do live in hope

Quote:

Surely a round of drinks with a group of friends would be equal to the cost of the subscription over the long run? Well, it would be for me at least as one round is likely to go to two, three etc etc
Old 1 Dec 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2994047)   #1142
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

I am sure that if the gathering for F1 becomes larger than it would do for Ford Super Sunday Football, then you may just persuade the Pub to go to F1 when there is a Football type clash, and it may drag in a few more fans of the sport - who never realised they were fans in the first place...
Sounds a good plan, but I live in a village with two pubs. One pub doesn't own a TV as its a Bistro pub and the other doesn't subscribe to Sky Sports due to it costing thousands and thousands every year..

I could drive 15 miles to a friend of mine that also follows F1 in the hope he would know somewhere. Can't see it working as my wife already thinks a race every couple of weeks is too much and I doubt she'd allow me to go to the pub instead of being available at the house. Cheers for the suggestion though.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2994081)   #1143
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Going to the pub (plan B) and driving a car (plan C) is too expensive nowadays.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2994093)   #1144
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The other problem, of course, is trying to find a pub that'll be open when such things as the Australian and Malaysian GPs are taking place.

'I'll have a pint of lager please...and a bowl of cornflakes'.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2994102)   #1145
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The other problem, of course, is trying to find a pub that'll be open when such things as the Australian and Malaysian GPs are taking place.

'I'll have a pint of lager please...and a bowl of cornflakes'.

And likely the barman will pass you a card for alcoholics anonymous.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2994126)   #1146
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There's only so much that can be said about F1 though, as we see with all the ball cocks we all talk about it daily on here.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2994137)   #1147
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I have to say that this can be an excellent suggestion. When on holiday in June 2011 we joined a "meet-up" group in New York and watched the Canadian GP with a large group of F1 fans in the Feile Bar on 33rd Street. Motorsport fans of all levels of interest, supporting different teams (some teams no longer in existence), all getting together, sharing stories, shouting at the TV, beers, lunch, coffee, more beers, it was AWESOME! The cheers and jeers were equally loud, but no-one was troubled by others if they didn't support the same team or driver. And in the down time we talked about BTCC, quite unexpected in the circumstances.

This place opens to show races at all times of the day & night, and I'm sure it makes enough money to make it worthwhile, why else would a bar open to show a minority sport at 2.00am?
Old 2 Dec 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2994192)   #1148
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It is a great idea, there are a few watch parties in Austin one is run by a friend of mine, the race is DVR recorded and then re played at 1.30PM each Sunday afternoon..

Lot's of nice cars turn up as well..
Old 2 Dec 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2994252)   #1149
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sounds a good plan, but I live in a village with two pubs. One pub doesn't own a TV as its a Bistro pub and the other doesn't subscribe to Sky Sports due to it costing thousands and thousands every year..

I could drive 15 miles to a friend of mine that also follows F1 in the hope he would know somewhere. Can't see it working as my wife already thinks a race every couple of weeks is too much and I doubt she'd allow me to go to the pub instead of being available at the house. Cheers for the suggestion though.
[joke] Is life always this depressing in South Wales? [/joke]
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2994272)   #1150
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
[joke] Is life always this depressing in South Wales? [/joke]
Being an Englishman myself, I'd better not answer that one for fear of offense..

The wages are lower though which is probably why I can't afford Sky.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky