Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Dec 2003, 23:51 (Ref:808836)   #76
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave

OK - calling it "speculation" was perhaps overdoing my reservations and I apologise if that caused offence. However, I do not believe the identification is conclusive and I would urge caution on your part. You could spend many hours chasing the Freberg car's origins only to find out it isn't your car.

Best wishes

Allen
Old 16 Dec 2003, 18:30 (Ref:813303)   #77
Smellybeard
Rookie

Smellybeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've posted a picture of the Mooney March 80A on my website www.dendra.net/sweetFA/

Dave.
Attached Images

Old 17 Dec 2003, 01:30 (Ref:813643)   #78
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup....
Tommy Reid now has that one !
Old 17 Dec 2003, 11:58 (Ref:813919)   #79
Smellybeard
Rookie

I have a picture somwhere of a yellow Cougar-Ralt doing the same thing...

Dave.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:44 (Ref:813981)   #80
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, good pictures, but I'm not sure about the history of that German RT1. Did Piquet, de Cesaris, EJ all have the same F3 car anyone ??

The March is also intriguing, no sidepods at all. Did we say this was the ex-Hunter UK car, nose colour is right, though I guess a lot could have happened paint-wise in 23 years.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:05 (Ref:814122)   #81
Smellybeard
Rookie

Yes, it is the ex Hunter car.
It did have an F2 nose and rads in the sidepods when it came to Ireland first. It was a dark red colour then. The sidepods were removed and original nose fitted by Mooney, suposedly as a concession to a non-ground effect idea...

Dave.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 16:13 (Ref:814206)   #82
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That German RT1

Piquet had at least three RT1s
May 77 he gets the first one when AFMP Euroracing folds
This car is then sold in 78 to Guido Pardini.
This car is one of the following 1977 chassis, all sold via Chuck McCarthy in Italy, where Piquet was then based.
41; 43; 44; 46; 47; 55 [my favourite]; 60; 61; 62; 63
Unless Piquet bought two 1977 cars I don't see how one can go to de Cesaris, who only raced Ralts in 78.

In 1978 he gets at least one new car in March.
In July he gets chassis 131 new for the British GP meeting
In 1978 one of these cars goes to Fernando Jorge

Chris
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:29 (Ref:814951)   #83
Dan Rear
Veteran

Chris, interesting on the F3 RT1s, didn't the second Piquet car go to Jorge in 79 rather than 78 ?? I assume the Jorge car was the original not 131, as I believe Gomm has the latter and still uses it. There was a good article in Motorsport a while ago on this car, ie 131.

Do we really want to get into F3 cars aswell, could be an ever bigger nightmare tahn FAts/F2s !!

Dan
Old 18 Dec 2003, 12:36 (Ref:815046)   #84
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dave/Richard, did one of you say (sorry for not remembering) that Tommy Reid has 2 March 80As. The Hunter one as pictured above, that was dark red, though was dark blue when B Hunter had it. I wonder where it went between times, as I don't think he used it after 1980, indeed I don't recall him racing at all after that year. The other UK car was the Nick Adams Mclean Hunter car (confusing name here !, which Carlos Ulibarri used in UK Atlantic in 1981, again I don't know about it after then. That car, the Adams one, was painted dark red and white, I wonder whether parts of it were added to the ex Bernard Hunter car. In 1980, Colin Bennett was running both, so maybe its possible.

This is getting very complex, and maybe boring ...!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 13:51 (Ref:815142)   #85
Smellybeard
Rookie

I was confused too.
This is the Adams car not Hunter. My mistake. Sorry.

Dave.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1223839)   #86
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know this thread is very old, but I would be interested in figuring out if there are any Atlantics still in Ireland or in the UK that are either rough runners, or 'in barns/garages'. I was offered an ex-hillclimb Atlantic by somebody in Carlow about 1985/1986, but didn't have the cash for it at the time. Anyone know of any ? Would be interested in looking at them, preferably a later Chevron.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1223879)   #87
peespeed
Racer

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
peespeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davy can you remember the person that offered you the car, even though I was only a young lad back then I dont ever remember anyone in this area having a Formula Atlantic but wouldnt mind finding out a bit of history on it
Old 17 Feb 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1228434)   #88
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Davyboy

I see from your thread on Octane.ie that you have a shed load of programmes from Mondello going back into the 1970s. I also note that you are based in London. [Assuming that there are not two disappointed Davyboys out there who both turned down an ex Atlantic car in a barn in Carlow!]

Please could you PM me on this forum. It may be that you have information that will really help us get more Irish results onto the Oldracingcars.com histories.

Chris
Old 18 Mar 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1254935)   #89
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peespeed
Davy can you remember the person that offered you the car, even though I was only a young lad back then I dont ever remember anyone in this area having a Formula Atlantic but wouldnt mind finding out a bit of history on it
Peespeed, I don't know who it was, but I do remember it being hillclimbed in the 1980s. It was definitely at Cruagh one year and was painted turquoise [if my memory serves me right]. It looked very rough, but it was the real McCoy. He told me at the time that there were 8 layers of paint on the fibreglass, obviously various detailing over the years from sponsors etc... Does that help at all ? Right now all I can do is imagine what might have been if I had the money to buy it at the time.

Do you know of any in Ireland now, apart from Ken Fildes' and Dan Daly's that get wheeled out occassionly at Mondello ? I'm looking for a 'project one' with or without history.

For you and everyone else on the site, here are some pictures I managed to find a few days ago. Viv Candy's machine's there... so too is Gary Gibson's ex-DD ICI car [never realized he had that !], and even Jim Crawford. Anyone remember him in the Park... 1977 was it or 1979 ? I'm doing well here, I was only 8 or 10 years old at the time, but remember him howling that thing up the drag up from Mountjoy corner as if it was yesterday !

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/shared/b...age=all&group=
Old 27 Jul 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1364502)   #90
Dan Rear
Veteran

Picking up on an item earlier on here, the Alo RT1 F2 car anyone ? I mean the ex-Cheever 76 car, NOT the ex-Mallock FAt car. Seems to have disappeared after Alo's 2 AFX outings in mid-78.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1433852)   #91
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peespeed
Could this have been John Naylor ? Did he have a pale blue Atlantic in the 1980s that was used for hillclimbing ? Whose car was that ? It was very ropey. I wonder is that the same John Naylor that's head of the Motorsport Ireland [RIAC].

Also, anyone know whose Atlantic Shay Lawless used to hillclimb in the 1980s ? Somebody once told me that Shay had a Shadow F1 car in his garage, but I don't know whether there was any truth in that or not.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1433856)   #92
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shay did have a F1 car. A Theodore N183 IIRC.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1433859)   #93
davyboy
Veteran

Really ? That must have been the ex Roberto Guerrero Cafe de Columbia one that the late Tom O'Leary bought ? Kinda makes more sense. I guess he must have sold it back across the pond as I think I've see for sale a few times in Autosport over the years.

I could be completely wrong with what's below here... I'm going from memory [of the 1980s] and beer talk... here goes.
There is some story behind Tom's buying that... he made an offer for the car at a GP and received it with a qualifying spec motor in the back... which Tom promptly blew when he took it out in Mondello. Does anyone know the full background behind this ?

This bit is true though.
I do remember Tom, race suit arms tied around his waist and covered in oil, with the back of the Theodore raised up on a trolley jack in the Mondello paddock changing gear ratios. From Monaco to Mondello !
Old 14 Oct 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1434048)   #94
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Just a thought about Smellybeard's RT1.
Did we at some point discuss that this car appeared to have had a
central wing mounting, rather than the cross-beam wing support
that RT1s conventionally had?
It's just that the Klomfass car was built with this arrangement, unique
amongst early RT1s, and was, on further research, sold to someone in
LA in late 1976.
Kevin Cogan was based in LA, and in early 77 SCCA races, before Ralt
can have delivered his new car for that season, is using a red RT1 with
a central wing mounting - which in photos looks exactly like that on
Klomfass' car.
And it carried the number 33 [like the Freeberg car.... though this may be
pure coincidence]

Chris
Old 20 Oct 2005, 08:55 (Ref:1438671)   #95
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few random thoughts as I've been otherwise engaged for the past few months.
1. The ex-DD B42 is now in the Tommy Reid stable. He ran it at Kirkistown last month and flew in the libre race until the rear wing decided to give lift rather than downforce (!).
2. The John Naylor mentioned is the one now at Motorsport Ireland.
3. As far as I can remember, the Atlantic Shay Lawless used belonged to Cyril Lynch and was subsequently fitted with an Australian Rover (Leyland P76?) V8 of 4.4 litres.
At around that time Cyril/Shay also had a March 811 or 821 in their posession but never ran it. I think it eventually went to a Welsh chap called Alvin ???? who was featured in one of the comics recently.
4. There are a couple of Atlantics secreted in various places in Ireland. Does Tony Skinner still have the ex-Kennedy Macao RT1 - he certainly did have. Joey Greenan has an ex-McGarrity B42 which ran at Phoenix Park a couple of years back, and Ronnie LeBas may still have his B34.........I certainly haven't seen it anywhere else ! Also, one of the 28F Crossles is in Terry Murphys stable in Co.Down.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1438692)   #96
davyboy
Veteran

Shay Lawless certainly had a Rover[Buick ?]-engined single seater painted in the colours of Yoplait yoghurt that he used for hillclimbs. I've photographs of it at Cruagh and Enniskerry in the mid-1980s. Interesting that was Cyril Lynch's. Poor Cyril passed away a couple of years back I believe.

A friend of mine who used to race Fiat 1283Ps in the 1980s told me Shay had an F1 Shadow in his garage in Walkinstown but maybe that was the March you mention.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1438755)   #97
Dan Rear
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Young
A few random thoughts as I've been otherwise engaged for the past few months.
1. The ex-DD B42 is now in the Tommy Reid stable. He ran it at Kirkistown last month and flew in the libre race until the rear wing decided to give lift rather than downforce (!).
2. The John Naylor mentioned is the one now at Motorsport Ireland.
3. As far as I can remember, the Atlantic Shay Lawless used belonged to Cyril Lynch and was subsequently fitted with an Australian Rover (Leyland P76?) V8 of 4.4 litres.
At around that time Cyril/Shay also had a March 811 or 821 in their posession but never ran it. I think it eventually went to a Welsh chap called Alvin ???? who was featured in one of the comics recently.
4. There are a couple of Atlantics secreted in various places in Ireland. Does Tony Skinner still have the ex-Kennedy Macao RT1 - he certainly did have. Joey Greenan has an ex-McGarrity B42 which ran at Phoenix Park a couple of years back, and Ronnie LeBas may still have his B34.........I certainly haven't seen it anywhere else ! Also, one of the 28F Crossles is in Terry Murphys stable in Co.Down.
Richard, thats Alvin Powell you mention, he had an ex-works March 821, that he ran in the occasional Libre race here in the mid-80s, some Sprints too IIRC.

I presume the ex-Kennedy RT1 you mention is the one Richard Hawkins used over here in 1981, we think chassis no. 9. Did Patsy McG have a B42? Which one do you was it do you know? I guess the LeBas B34 was the ex-Lees/Parsons car ?
Old 21 Oct 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1439529)   #98
Smellybeard
Rookie

The McGarrity car is B42-77-2
The LeBas B39 is the McGarrity one. Don't know the number off the top of my head.

David.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1439939)   #99
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
The McGarrity B39 should be chassis number 3

Chris
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1441889)   #100
Dan Rear
Veteran

David, are you sure re that B42 no. Is it B42-78-02 ? That would make more sense as the B42s were all, apart from 1, built in 1978, not 77.