Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 Feb 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1847701)   #11
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of what makes a classic...

Age on it's own doesn't tell the full story - but it's a good start - a modern car can be a "modern classic" or a "future classic". The example with the minis is interesting - early minis are classic cars, one that's only a few years old is a classic design, but in my eyes can't be a classic car (the same applies with morgans)

I think the point about "achieving something" is good - whether it's a technological innovation, or just a real shift in the manufacturer's path. My classic is a Droopsnoot Firenza - which was intended to be a mainstream production car - I think it qualifies as a classic not on the grounds of rarity and age, but because it marked a shift from vauxhall's quite ordinary competent family saloons to something a bit more exciting. The designer then went on to produce the Manta and Calibra (my shopping car) which was another car that stood out amongst Vauxhall's range as something a bit different and special.

And yes I know the Firenza shares some of it's underpinnings with the Viva, as the Calibra shares plenty with the cavalier!