Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 25 May 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3079214)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Indy Lights gets new car for 2014!

As the title says, the 10-year-old Indy Lights car will be replaced for the 2014 season.

"according to series technical director Vince Kremer, five or six entities have been sent possible proposals."

"contemporary design, improved aerodynamic performance, an improved technological package, the potential to integrate an alternative fuel source and improved sponsor visibility"

A fan commented "It's about time they get rid of that Crapwagon Jr. car. "
Old 26 May 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3079360)   #2
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares? It'll be a Dallara, and it will most likely be underwhelming, as Dallara doesn't have any sort of commitment to excellence on this side of the pond.
Old 26 May 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3079461)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
and improved sponsor visibility
That bit fills me with dread. Looks like the new Lights car will be as hideous looking as the DW12. And obviously Dallara will build it.
Old 26 May 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3079604)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
That bit fills me with dread. Looks like the new Lights car will be as hideous looking as the DW12. And obviously Dallara will build it.
Yeah, I bet it will use the same Dallara tub if not the whole "safety cell" as well. Hopefully it is cheap and accompanied by greater media visibility so Lights attracts stalwart teams (the Sierra Sierra, US Racetronics, and Newman Wachs types) so the final step on the ladder to IndyCar isn't so precarious.

Unfortunately, between IndyCar, Lights, F1 and GP2 major openwheel racing globally is now just an entertainment sport, not a motor sport. We can kiss attractive pure breads goodbye and say hello to camels (horses designed by committee.)

Chris
Old 26 May 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3079638)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Randy loves competition. I think he wants to choose a manufacturer other than Dallara.
Old 27 May 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3079945)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Randy loves competition. I think he wants to choose a manufacturer other than Dallara.

I reckon not.

I'm surprised you would make such a statement and it shows you haven't learned a thing about how these people operate in indianapolis.

Competition has nothing to do with it, it's all about money and control. They are in with dallara because the speedway makes money from it and that isn't going to change, unless another manufacturer makes a bigger offer.
Old 28 May 2012, 03:58 (Ref:3080280)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New updated car is due, should look like an i-phone/i-pad...
Old 30 May 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3081900)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Delta for this? They are spending lots of money to prove the concept and I don't think they will realize a return in sportscars.
Old 30 May 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3081984)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As the title says, the 10-year-old Indy Lights car will be replaced for the 2014 season.

"according to series technical director Vince Kremer, five or six entities have been sent possible proposals."

"contemporary design, improved aerodynamic performance, an improved technological package, the potential to integrate an alternative fuel source and improved sponsor visibility"

A fan commented "It's about time they get rid of that Crapwagon Jr. car. "
According to that article and I quote, "Some of the desired attributes include a contemporary design, improved aerodynamic performance, an improved technological package possibly including paddle shifting, data systems and sensors, the potential to integrate an alternative fuel source and improved sponsor visibility."

Sounds all too familiar.
Old 31 May 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3082512)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Delta for this? They are spending lots of money to prove the concept and I don't think they will realize a return in sportscars.
As oyou point out Delta are currently committed with MP racing, and they have not any structure to face a challenge with IL

The real point is Dallara have no credibile, viable alternative, like it or not
Old 31 May 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3082530)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Would an Offenhauser fit in an old Toyota Atlantic chassis?

That should separate the racers from the wannabe's...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 31 May 2012 at 12:22. Reason: Forgot how to spell "Toyota"
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 May 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3082584)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
As oyou point out Delta are currently committed with MP racing, and they have not any structure to face a challenge with IL

The real point is Dallara have no credibile, viable alternative, like it or not
Why the need to use Dallara? In the initial bidding for the new IndyCar, Lola had a very credible plan to use a universal tub, which both IndyCar and Indy Lights could use, thus saving teams money if they wanted to upgrade from Indy Lights to IndyCar. However, in their wisdom, or lack of it, the Iconic committee opted for Dallara and a substandard car that's suffered from poor design and development and we are going to see exactly the same in Indy Lights.

Now Lola have gone into receivership, I wish they had the foresight to give it to Swift.
Old 31 May 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3082700)   #13
HaydenFan
Racer

HaydenFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why the need to use Dallara? In the initial bidding for the new IndyCar, Lola had a very credible plan to use a universal tub, which both IndyCar and Indy Lights could use, thus saving teams money if they wanted to upgrade from Indy Lights to IndyCar. However, in their wisdom, or lack of it, the Iconic committee opted for Dallara and a substandard car that's suffered from poor design and development and we are going to see exactly the same in Indy Lights.

Now Lola have gone into receivership, I wish they had the foresight to give it to Swift.
Mostly Dallara has this in the bag because of their new factory in Indianapolis. They have that selling point that will set them up with IndyCar for the long run.

Dallara and the IRL have a long history together, so I think it's about loyalty. The series wants to keep a relationship with a chassis builder, and while it has become too close of a relationship, it has allowed some stability.

I like the look of the current car. Follows the look of the early 2000's IRL chassis, which it was mostly based off of, and is a good car. I think even if they move towards the DW-12 design in styling, it will be much the same.

I know from the looks, the DW-12 isn't a looker, but that is with the current aero package. We still have to see what others will debut next year with the new rules allow for outside builders. I think the rear wheel wells (which is what the complaint in the looks of the cars is) will be the key focus of these builders.

I think if they can build a simple, cheap car, I think it will be fine. The series needs a consistent entry list year to year. We see half the field filled with new teams that stay for the year and disappear. Only 3-4 teams have remained in the series for the past 3-4 years and been able to run upfront. I can deal with sub 20 car counts, but there needs to be 7 or 8 teams that will keep running a car or two every year. Not show up and stop after a season or two.

If Dallara can build a car that will keep interest in the series from teams and sponsors, then I say build it.
Old 31 May 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3082944)   #14
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

When Swift has a plant in Speedway, maybe they'll get looked at.