Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Mar 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3044627)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well, hopefully it'll shake things up so that if you do pi... spend that sort of money on a season of single seaters you actually get good value for money.

i do keep saying "value for money" but it's pretty significant. some promoter/organising companies simply have no connection with what's actually going on at ground level. this sorry tale shows it perfectly.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3044691)   #27
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm delighted this has happened to be honest. SRO had taken it so far down the wrong road it was beyond redemption. Sucks for the teams and drivers who had signed up for it this year though, really really late to cancel it. Hopefully TOCA will be able to get a replacement series in to fill the gap in the BTCC support package.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3044725)   #28
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Sadly ony goes to show we need a complete rethink of the racing ladder and how it is funded - as I have posted in the f3 thread!

I also see that 7 drivers are confirmed for F2 so far , according to Autosport.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3044727)   #29
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
I'm delighted this has happened to be honest. SRO had taken it so far down the wrong road it was beyond redemption. Sucks for the teams and drivers who had signed up for it this year though, really really late to cancel it. Hopefully TOCA will be able to get a replacement series in to fill the gap in the BTCC support package.
I doubt they will - but might go for some guest races from championships which would be a good thing for interest.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3044756)   #30
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be surprised if any championship were to take Formula Renault UK's slots at the TOCA meetings as at this stage of the season, it would require MSA approval and the agreement of all registered competitors. The same would apply for any championships making 'guest' appearences on TOCA meetings, but not for non-championship races.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3044773)   #31
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes all the other championships will have had their dates booked and lodged with the MSA since Christmas. They may be able to have guest non-championship races or fill the time with track demonstrations. ITV4 won't be happy either.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3044786)   #32
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
ITV4 won't be happy either.
I don't think the viewing public will mind at all, the racing has been tedious at best, last season particularly.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3044789)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some of the spectators will probably mind, the fruk races are usually when most of the tin-top fans go and get their burgers and beer from the vans
Old 19 Mar 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3044901)   #34
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions should be asked about what the 'promoters' SRO have done to actually promote the series, rather than allowing it to be quietly added to the list of series run by SRO that have failed.

On a positive note, I understand that one of the teams affected by this decision have switched their resources to the Northern European series.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:11 (Ref:3045313)   #35
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
some of the spectators will probably mind, the fruk races are usually when most of the tin-top fans go and get their burgers and beer from the vans
It sucks for the people involved, I hope they can sort something out. However as a paying spectator it doesn't really bother me. As you say, it was the race that I usually took to have a look around the paddock or browse the race stalls, grab a burger etc. I always questioned the validity of running a single seater series in what is a tin top crowdbase. I mean some of the Formula Ford races were entertaining, but I think the majority of people there would rather see another tin-top support.

I imagine that perhaps one of the Saturday races might get bumped to Sunday to fill the gap.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3045320)   #36
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
going slightly off topic, i went to a toca event last year and couldn't believe how tired and apathetic the whole event was. granted it was snetterton, but the whole thing seemed like it needed some sort of a revamp. it was just the same old tired concept.

i think it's fantastic that ginetta are investing so much in their racing activities with all their scholarships and prize money schemes, but i'd really like to see them run a seperate event series for a limited number small crowd with cheap tickets with something like formula renault barc and maybe even fford as well. i know the tv exposure is important but i feel like they've got a strong enough setup and support in the uk to really do something worth going to that'll get families going to national motorsport again.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3045368)   #37
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
going slightly off topic, i went to a toca event last year and couldn't believe how tired and apathetic the whole event was. granted it was snetterton, but the whole thing seemed like it needed some sort of a revamp. it was just the same old tired concept.

i think it's fantastic that ginetta are investing so much in their racing activities with all their scholarships and prize money schemes, but i'd really like to see them run a seperate event series for a limited number small crowd with cheap tickets with something like formula renault barc and maybe even fford as well. i know the tv exposure is important but i feel like they've got a strong enough setup and support in the uk to really do something worth going to that'll get families going to national motorsport again.
In the current climate wouldn't be a good move if TOCA & SRO got together to put one strong package together incorporating BTTC/F3/GT plus alternate supports from the likes of Porsche Supercup, FF's & Clio's etc??
Old 20 Mar 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3045372)   #38
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
In the current climate wouldn't be a good move if TOCA & SRO got together to put one strong package together incorporating BTTC/F3/GT plus alternate supports from the likes of Porsche Supercup, FF's & Clio's etc??
Has been suggested many times before and a few years ago some F3 teams suggested a breakaway from SRO to move to TOCA.

Problem is that GT/F3 and BTCC would all want top billing and that was where it starts to fall over. From a spectator viewpoint a best of british motorsport type event would work well, but not sure the motorsport politics are up to managing it.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3045374)   #39
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFfan View Post
totally. though that would require common sense and acting in the interests of motorsport. both sro and toca seem hellbent on holding onto their product, regardless of whether that action will in itself kill it.

me, i'd like btcc, f3, porsche supercup, fford on one bill (plus guest events from awesome clubbie series such as legends so people can see motorsport they can actually get involved in), and ginetta plus frenault barc, clios and something else on another. the second would suit some seriously interesting marketing experiments to get people through the door (discounted tickets for local schools for example, or a fiver per adult for a 10,000 capacity crowd to keep the costs of holding the event under control). just you know, things to draw people into motorsport.

we simply don't have the economic climate for similar series and events to compete against each other any more.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3045403)   #40
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
totally. though that would require common sense and acting in the interests of motorsport. both sro and toca seem hellbent on holding onto their product, regardless of whether that action will in itself kill it.

me, i'd like btcc, f3, porsche supercup, fford on one bill (plus guest events from awesome clubbie series such as legends so people can see motorsport they can actually get involved in), and ginetta plus frenault barc, clios and something else on another. the second would suit some seriously interesting marketing experiments to get people through the door (discounted tickets for local schools for example, or a fiver per adult for a 10,000 capacity crowd to keep the costs of holding the event under control). just you know, things to draw people into motorsport.

we simply don't have the economic climate for similar series and events to compete against each other any more.
Makes a lot of sense Bella!
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3045409)   #41
edenrace
Racer

edenrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree in principle but the F3 drivers like to race on Brands GP and Silverstone GP circuits. sadly Knockhil and Croft are not the best F3 circuits so it makes it would make it harder to sell F3 to the drivers.Some events could be good.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3045415)   #42
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenrace View Post
Agree in principle but the F3 drivers like to race on Brands GP and Silverstone GP circuits. sadly Knockhil and Croft are not the best F3 circuits so it makes it would make it harder to sell F3 to the drivers.Some events could be good.
i agree (except on knockhill, i think in a way it's good prep for monaco - you don't get a moments rest!). it'd just be nice to see some serious crowds with their noses in a f3 awning or something, you know? the saddest thing about f3/gt is the tumbleweed.

it says a lot when the only adverts you really see for an event are in the bogs.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3045487)   #43
edenrace
Racer

edenrace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you want to see crowds at a F3 race then go to Zandvoort. We have too much racing in the UK with too many tracks. People like to watch BTCC...they like to see incidents.F3 etc is just to pure for the general public.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3045548)   #44
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Sadly ony goes to show we need a complete rethink of the racing ladder and how it is funded - as I have posted in the f3 thread!

I also see that 7 drivers are confirmed for F2 so far , according to Autosport.
I know of eight confirmed (Bacheta, Pralev, Pommer, McKenzie, Fontana, Hurst, Zhu, Sureshwaren), and am expecting another five or six. We saw last year that F2's press office likes to drip feed driver announcements every three or four days, so no need to panic on that front.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3045584)   #45
reed
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
reed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I imagine that perhaps one of the Saturday races might get bumped to Sunday to fill the gap.
I'd definitely like to see both Clio races on the Sunday- seems to be the most direct route to touring cars.

Last edited by reed; 20 Mar 2012 at 20:49.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3045710)   #46
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see F3 back at cadwell. A real drivers circuit. And don't give me any bllx about it being dangerous...F3 race at macau. As for the BTCC, put them on the short Snetterton 100. It's banger racing these days afterall.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3045735)   #47
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fortec have confirmed on twitter they are switching to FR NEC. Their drivers they had signed for FR UK will test this week, but the line-up is still "TBC".
Old 21 Mar 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3045903)   #48
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenrace View Post
Oh for the days of a multi manufacturer F3 series that raced at places like Thruxton, Cadwell & Mallory!

Its about time the big series went to Anglesey, too. One of the best circuits in the country and it definately has the best back drop. And finally, they should include an Oval on the calendar, too. After all a fair few drivers end up in CART/ Indy now.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3045930)   #49
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just going to change this thread to NEC basically being most of the UK teams and drivers will move to NEC i presume.

NEC Testing was on the last 2 days. today was the break day and then testing starts tomorrow at Hockenhiem for another 2 days. Thai Sandy Stuvik was fastest in the first test see how he fairs when a few of the guys from Barcelona Eurocup testing and possibly UK FR (?) come over. Does seem he has made some gains in progress though which is great to see. Also coming from Thai background great to see two Thais will complete a full season in NEC Sandy Stuvik and Tanart Sathienthirakul, whom is making his open wheel debut. He was at the back end of the Eurocup testing in Barcelona but every time he got on track he went faster and for someone still new to the car, open wheels in general really, new to the track setting a time 2.8 off the fastest isn't bad at all. Doesn't reflect being 42nd anyway. The field was mega tight times wise! Eurocup will be amazing to watch this year there is literally easy 8 guys who can take the title and even more who can win races on there day.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3045950)   #50
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Where will British F3 teams get their drivers from? Were will British karting drivers step up?