Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 31 Aug 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1083053)   #1
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
RobC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wiscombe Park - Advice needed

For my sins I am competing at Wiscombe Park on Saturday (4th) and everyone I've spoken to about this venue seem to say the same word "scary".

This is my first hill climb (been doing Sprints all year and got some great results) but I was wondering if anyone could give a newbie to this venue some pointers/hints on how to get around with out becoming part of the undergrowth!

Cheers!!
Rob
Old 31 Aug 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1083154)   #2
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only got the pictures here;

http://www.joyrainey.net/Wiscombe%20...5th%202004.htm

We have also done a DVD of this years NME round....

http://www.joyrainey.net/DVDs%20Avai...ble%20page.htm

It costs £10 + however fast you want it, or collect from Dudley. All corners, etc. Well worth a trip from Gloucester to see the track and all the corners, etc.

McB
Old 31 Aug 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1083184)   #3
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
What does the video consist of? on board footage?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1083570)   #4
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm told its very often wet regardless of the weather forecast for the rest of the country
Old 1 Sep 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1083584)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The final corner is so deep in the trees that it gets no sunlight, there is moss growing at the edges of the track, so you are in trouble if you get off line.

As with most hillclimbs the location is glorious.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1083595)   #6
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Think I might wrap the car in bubble wrap before the meeting
Old 1 Sep 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1083655)   #7
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might want to wrap yourself in bubble wrap as well Rob when you see the precipitation.
They used to have a Brit championship round there in May and Sept but the inclement weather suffered in the latter years of this arrangement bought this to an end.
Some years the big class did not even bring the cars out of the transporters at the September meeting as it slammed it down.

Having said that it is a beautiful location and is a great place to be on a hot summers day.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1083660)   #8
mcb666
Racer

Robc,

the DVD consists of some of the class runs and the 2 top 12 run offs from the last meeting. Some of it is taken on 2 cameras, from one corner to the next. It includes Adam's record, etc. The DVD is authorised for sale by the MSA and current people who have bought copies of the rounds are;
Adam Fleetwood, Willem Toet, GWJ, etc. Adam plays them repeatedly according to his girlfriend, maybe he sees something on them!

Regards

McB
Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:10 (Ref:1083668)   #9
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Weather is looking very good for the weekend, big high over the UK now....at last we might have a dam summer!!

McB - thanks for that, would prefer in car footage as the corners look so different from the side of the track.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1083952)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Hmm,

At first sight this place is a bit intimidating, but it can be tamed. A few pointers :-

1. Hopefully you already do this religeously, but if not, now is the time to start.... Walk the track every morning! Take particular notice of the surface conditions and how much trouble you might have adjusting from the open lower end of the track into the darker, tree lined top end of the track.

2. The canopy of trees at the top end of the track will make life interesting if it rains. Remember, when it starts to rain, it will stay dry for longer up the top, and when it stops, it will stay wet for longer.

That's about it from the driving side of things. One little tip I wish somebody had told me about the place before I went. Water is in short supply and hard to come by. The only way to guarantee you'll have enough water to last the weekend is to take your own. And if you have your own portable toilet facilities, take them!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1083978)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
As an old MGCC type I did my first ever speed event here - a great place for a newbie, I never even thought of it as intimidating (as an aside I'd suggest Porlock or Oddicombe for the scary award).
Tip 1 - walk and walk again
2 - get the right gear for the sharp left just after the start, prob stay in 1st
3 - try to be flat over Deer's Leap
4 - treat the Gate with caution
5 - be brave and straight through the Esses
6 - if you have a solid axle or FWD then go wide at Sawbench
7 - prob need 1st for Martini
Have a great time - what are you driving?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1084007)   #12
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
MGDavid

Brilliant, that is just what I was looking for! I've got the UK Circuit guide here so I can compare your notes to that. I am/will be driving an Elise.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1084054)   #13
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The key is to carry speed through the gate and thus the Esses. The gate is MUCH faster than it looks to a newcomer. The rest is "point and sqirt" and, like so many places (far too many unfortunately, but we have to live with the venues we have), for a production car power is usually the deciding factor despite any impressions to the contrary. Conversely, it is about the only Brit Champ venue where a small single seater can get near the larger cars.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1084079)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
MGDavid it's "Bunnies" not "Deers" that leap at Wiscombe.

- There's loads of time to be lost at Gate and not much to gain, so caution is right.
- Stay wide at Martini (last corner) exit - if you drop a driving wheel down the camber you lose loads of time with wheelspin.
- Try not to get it sideways out of Martini and over the line because it's easy to knock down the timing gear and delay the meeting
- Don't forget to slow over the line, there's not much run-off into the top paddock
- And don't drive uphill on the grass in the main paddock or you fill your tyres with mud and sheepsh**

Wiscombe is great but the facilities are distinctly fixed in the 60s!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1084163)   #15
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Thanks guys, starting to get a handle on this venue now. Watching I don't knock over the timing equipment is a new one though

Last edited by RobC; 1 Sep 2004 at 20:55.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1084245)   #16
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by midgetman Wiscombe is great but the facilities are distinctly fixed in the 60s! [/B]
That modern?
Must have had a makeover crew in since I was there last year then.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1084255)   #17
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
So long as there is a bloke sell coffee and bacon sandwiches I'll be fine
Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1084935)   #18
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
" There's loads of time to be lost at Gate and not much to gain, so caution is right. "

Cant agree - and the heavier the car , the more the speed/ maintaining momentum through the gate matters.
Facilities at Wiscombe have improved but ultimately is down to the wishes of the owner (and the absence of mains water/sewerage). Just be grateful the venue is available to motor sport - and at less cost than other places!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1085239)   #19
abigail
Racer

abigail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The DVD is authorised for sale by the MSA [/B]
Dear mcb, excellent photographer that you are. I overheard two of our famous house guests talking and they wondered who from the MSA authorised your DVD for sale and under what circumstances? Our guests friends, the inestimable Mr Hay and Mr Fisher along with the immortal Mr Duke did not achieve this with their full season’s videos with professional commentary from years gone by. How then has a boy from the dark satanic mills of the Black Country so quickly gained this distinction? Mr Hay and Mr Fisher along with the immortal Mr Duke await your answer with interest so that they can obtain a similar franchise from their old friends at MSA Headquarters. Love Abigail
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1085268)   #20
mcb666
Racer

Good question.

McB
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1085321)   #21
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by abigail
Dear mcb, excellent photographer that you are. I overheard two of our famous house guests talking and they wondered who from the MSA authorised your DVD for sale and under what circumstances? Our guests friends, the inestimable Mr Hay and Mr Fisher along with the immortal Mr Duke did not achieve this with their full season’s videos with professional commentary from years gone by. How then has a boy from the dark satanic mills of the Black Country so quickly gained this distinction? Mr Hay and Mr Fisher along with the immortal Mr Duke await your answer with interest so that they can obtain a similar franchise from their old friends at MSA Headquarters. Love Abigail
interesting quote "Abigail" but you do need to check your grammer...... surely it is "from whom did you" rather than "who from"??

just a small point to our canine friend.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1085324)   #22
abigail
Racer

But not much of an answer.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1085335)   #23
mcb666
Racer

Dear Abigail, I can ASSURE you that they are auhorised. It is important for there to be no doubt in this, otherwise doubts could destroy some of the effort that's going in.
Will have doggy biscuits in the 'Log Cabin' on Saturday to hopefully understand the basis of the question. It probably should not answered here.

McB.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1085336)   #24
abigail
Racer

Ouch! I should have said 'from whom at the MSA' should I not? Grammar is not a dog's strong suit but then neither is your spelling. But I trust the point was well made and we are very pleased that you found the quote interesting. You are not the only one to think that!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1085343)   #25
mcb666
Racer

Crazystu,

Just remember to pass him a fag next time rather than making him go back to the car to get his own. !!!

McB