Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 9 Feb 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2828420)   #1
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe Duratec 2012

I hear Combe is thinking about introducing a seperate FFDuratec championship in 2012, assume this will be Kent spec cars with the replacement Duratec motor rather than UKFFC spec FFDuratec?

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 9 Feb 2011, 15:30 (Ref:2828491)   #2
pd88
Rookie

pd88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..........I read it as they were looking for people to convert Kent cars over too a Duratec engine, as it stated most post 2000 cars would be compatible; in which case would seriously limit the races and championships you could use the car for!
Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2828993)   #3
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kent-engined Formula Ford 1600 is the only place to race in my honest opinion.......
Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2828995)   #4
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why on earth would anyone want to take a Kent-engined car and put a Duratec in it?

Seems like a great way of limiting greatly where it can be raced and killing th eresale value at the same time.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2829142)   #5
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love my FF - don't get me wrong - but I think it's a good idea to get Club Duratec off the ground and well overdue. I've heard that it will be kept seperate from the Kents (different championship, not just class) so we can still race our cars until such time as natural attrition moves us over and (I guess) our older cars get brought into the classics.

Much better than the current status quo, where we are shoving ancient engines into new cars surely?

And this coming from someone who has just had his engine rebuilt and is in a class C car, so no chance of benefiting from any chance of re-conversion.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2829346)   #6
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree with John. Why would anyone wish to take out their Kent engine and replace with a Duratec. Quite simply, what would be the point?

Formula Ford 1600 is stronger now than it has been for many years. A good number of national/regional series are available to the competitor - not to mention the end-of-season trophy season. And, the 711 is available again....
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2829554)   #7
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB View Post
I agree with John. Why would anyone wish to take out their Kent engine and replace with a Duratec. Quite simply, what would be the point?
I agree with both. I still think FF1600 is a wonderful series and still a great place to start for any young driver. And getting even better thanks to JEB.

However, just as I would see little sense in putting a Duratec in an already sorted older Kent or Zetec car, I do wonder sometimes at the validity of putting a 40 year old iron engine in the back of a brand new £23,000 car designed for the Duratec age.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2829563)   #8
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
I agree with both. I still think FF1600 is a wonderful series and still a great place to start for any young driver. And getting even better thanks to JEB.

However, just as I would see little sense in putting a Duratec in an already sorted older Kent or Zetec car, I do wonder sometimes at the validity of putting a 40 year old iron engine in the back of a brand new £23,000 car designed for the Duratec age.
... ands that the point I was making.

I wouldn't expect anyone to convert back who's already running Kents, but couldn't we at least provide an alternative for the newer FF's to run in their intended configuration? have our cake and eat it too?
Old 11 Feb 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2829658)   #9
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
OK, latest I've heard is that discussion is around a national series (with a round at Combe) which will NOT replace/be bolted onto the existing kent championship.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 00:27 (Ref:2831327)   #10
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst retro-fitting Kent engines into modern chassis is common and perfectly acceptable under the world standard Formula Ford technical regulations (indeed this is integral in preserving the longevity and success of FF1600) organisers would need to carefully consider the implications of creating a new set of regulations to fit a new engine in a older chassis. Formula Ford technical regulations are reviewed and approved annually by the Ford Motor Company so whilst fitting a de-tuned Duratec to a 2012 spec chassis would be fine I'm not sure the MSA/FIA would permit retro-fitting a new engine to a chassis which doesn't conform to the latest FIA crash test standards for Formula Ford. However I think there would be a market for a modern club level Duratec series as an alternative (possible sitting between) Kent FF1600 and British Formula Ford. Food for thought.....
Old 15 Feb 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2831425)   #11
pd88
Rookie

pd88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
……..the last thing we all need is another Formula Ford / club class!!!

JEB has the right idea; let’s get the cars out that are already dormant; if you want another class, there are loads of very cheap Zetec’s out there!!