Old 22 Sep 2007, 01:38 (Ref:2020191)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is A1GP working?

hi guys and girls.
this is an honest question as i love a1, watch almost every race and marshalled at both uk events.
what i would like to know is the general opinion of, is this series working?
the reason i ask is there was first of all the rumored problems over funding for the series last year,
there is not a great deal of coverage in regards to papers and news channels, only f1 seems to have this, and ....
if you speak to anyone who is not an avid motorsport fan you always get the same answer of " its just cheap f1 with poor drivers, look at the dodgy driving and crashes" which as we know is first of all not true and the reason there are mistakes and crashes is it is a one make series were people run close and can actually overtake unlike f1.
just wondering what other peoples thoughts are??
Old 22 Sep 2007, 02:00 (Ref:2020199)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The concept of Nation on Nation is a good one and lets face it it made great marketing sense over the many another series below F1.

The cars could do with a little bit more squirt, they seam to be a little underpowered.

As for the racing well IMHO there are good and bad. We have sometimes seen some great wheel to wheel racing over the last 2 seasons and we have also seen some processions and I fell asleep.

The drivers, very much like the racing as above really. I feel there are some drivers here that have had the money or backing that don't really deserve to be on this series just yet.

To me this Nation on Nation series should be a series where you put the best driver in the car from that nation. I know this is being naive but to be true to the concept this is what it should be. Sort of like the Olympics really.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 02:54 (Ref:2020215)   #3
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do see your point about the drivers but untill this series is taken seriously by all it just wont happen and the fact that the a1 season overlaps some ongoing champs could be a problem but nice points none the less
Old 22 Sep 2007, 06:38 (Ref:2020251)   #4
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this would make a good "Ask Bob" question. I don't think you need to be a kiwi to ask.
http://www.a1nzl.com/ - Ask Bob.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2020510)   #5
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with NAC that A1GP needs more power. It has to be almost as fast as, if not faster than F1 to impress the fans.

The Nation vs Nation and winter season idea are great because it is clear that it does not want to fight with F1. But it also needs to give more emphasis to drivers. We need characters to attract people's attention.

F1 talks about its technology, but ultimately the fans are really interested in Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton. We need to make the drivers the stars in A1GP.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2020626)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
I agree with NAC that A1GP needs more power. It has to be almost as fast as, if not faster than F1 to impress the fans.
It's supposed to be having a more powerful engine and a different chassis from next season, but there's no way it should be more powerful than F1. The cars are big, noisy and spectacular, which is great for the fans, but there is the bonus that with the cars as they are now, drivers from F3 or even FRenault can jump into them and perform as well as ex-F1 drivers.

Quote:
The Nation vs Nation and winter season idea are great because it is clear that it does not want to fight with F1. But it also needs to give more emphasis to drivers. We need characters to attract people's attention.

F1 talks about its technology, but ultimately the fans are really interested in Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton. We need to make the drivers the stars in A1GP.
I agree more attention needs to be given the drivers, but you are unlikely to see the next generation of Schumachers, Alonsos and Hamiltons around in A1GP for long. Hülkenberg was good to have around last year, but now he's on a serious career course.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2020879)   #7
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a concept its got alot of potential, but there are issues with Motor Racing as a whole that stop it working.

On paper, its a fantastic idea, and I like to think it will grow and grow in the future. Nearly every other sport in the world has a World Cup of some sort, except Motor Racing. It's good that we finally have one of sorts.

It needs to have the top drivers taking part. But with series like F1 there are so many contractual issues that mean the drivers wouldn't be able to set foot in A1. The only way I can see it happening realistically is if the teams ran completely void of any sponsorship in A1GP. Very difficult, to say the least. It's possible, costs would have to be strictly controlled and the teams would have to be funded by local governments or rich enthusiasts (I think many teams are funded by the latter at present). Sounds good on paper, but I have my doubts whether it would happen in real terms.

It's definetely got potential though, because battles between nations in sports tends to draw a bigger crowd. If we think in football terms, which I hate to do, a hell of a lot more people watch the World Cup than the premiership. A1 could be good for racing as a whole, because it could attract a new audience and introduce them to Motor Racing.

Other changes, well, as has been said, the cars need to be quicker. And they need TV deals that will get A1 into the public eye, BBC or ITV, not sell their soul to the devil that is Sky Sports.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2020908)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree about the TV. As for the cars, maybe just buying in some of the old Champ Car chassis (or the untendered Lola one) and fitting Judd V10s?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2020930)   #9
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I agree more attention needs to be given the drivers, but you are unlikely to see the next generation of Schumachers, Alonsos and Hamiltons around in A1GP for long. Hülkenberg was good to have around last year, but now he's on a serious career course.
I don't mean A1GP will HAVE Schumacher, Alonso...etc. driving in the series. But at least the fans should know clearly who is driving and maybe we do need a drivers' championship.

Maybe we can have the rookie driver take part in the sprint race and the more experienced driver fixed for the feature race and they will contest the rookie championship and the main drivers' championshipship respectively. Add their points and we get the Nation's Championship. That way we know how much each driver contributes to the team and heroes and villains are made from these results. That will get people talking.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 21:52 (Ref:2021305)   #10
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i always see it on the news pages of autosport but due to a lack of terestrial TV broadcasting ive never seen any of the racing, so really i cant say if its good or not. really if they want good coverage it has to be on terestrial tv!
Old 23 Sep 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2021322)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmate
Other changes, well, as has been said, the cars need to be quicker. And they need TV deals that will get A1 into the public eye, BBC or ITV, not sell their soul to the devil that is Sky Sports.
Nice point orrmate about keeping it free to air.

The other thing that I believe should change is that your whole crew should be from that nation. How many crews are not from the nation the car represents? Look what has happened to the Americas Cup, it's just a money game and he with the biggest budget buys the best crew (unless of cause you cannot be bought )

I also think that the sharing of data (team mates as such) should be banned. I know it worked for Germany / NZ and France / Switzerland etc but it should be a Nation against Nation not teams working together.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2021328)   #12
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams are making an effort to incorporate some people from the countries they represent, especially from the "motorsport developing nations". I think this will happen more and more in the future.

Data sharing will always happen, either officially or not. I understand what you mean but personally I don't have a problem with it.

As a concept, I think A1GP is brilliant. At the moment they are really struggling to keep it going, and I guess a big part of the problem is not getting enough TV exposure. Without this they can't get the big audiences and sponsor deals they need to keep the championship going. I hope they can get things sorted!
Old 24 Sep 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2021567)   #13
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't care at all how powerful the cars are, just as long as they can race wheel to wheel.

I like the idea of having one driver do the sprint and one doing the feature as well, that would really emphasise the national team idea.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 10:39 (Ref:2021594)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
I like the idea of having one driver do the sprint and one doing the feature as well, that would really emphasise the national team idea.
I like that idea or even with the sprint race for the rookies only, this will help bring new talent up through the field and give the young guys a chance to get exposure. Having said that if you were the main driver you would want that race to be last just in case the rookie had a major off and the car could not be repaired in time
Old 24 Sep 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2021646)   #15
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose I'm just echoing the sentiments above but until the series gets proper and widespread coverage, it won't catch on in a big way. Boost the engine power up to say 700bhp and use V10's for the extra noise factor. In terms of drivers, I would disagree to some extent with some of what's been said above in that I think the top F3/GP2 standard guys are the ones who should race in it. Current or ex GP drivers shouldn't be allowed. F1 should still have the 'best' drivers but A1 should be the chance to give a break to someone with obvious talent who has a good chance of making F1. It's definitely a good idea for a series and hopefully it grows.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 13:36 (Ref:2021746)   #16
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think we're probably having this discussion about a week too early.

I prefer to see how next weekend at Zandvoort pans out. There are several changes to the format and we need to see what difference they make. In theory, they should all be better, because if something's working well, you don't change it.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2021751)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think any one make series is ever going to make great waves, especially when trying to compete with F1.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2021857)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Boost the engine power up to say 700bhp and use V10's for the extra noise factor.
I'd go for the current Judd sportscar 5 litre V10 - long time between services but over 800hp without the restrictor.

But the current car sucks, not sure if it's the engine or the chassis though.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:31 (Ref:2022365)   #19
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I think we're probably having this discussion about a week too early.

I prefer to see how next weekend at Zandvoort pans out. There are several changes to the format and we need to see what difference they make. In theory, they should all be better, because if something's working well, you don't change it.
Now where is the fun in that??
Old 25 Sep 2007, 12:04 (Ref:2022534)   #20
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I don't think any one make series is ever going to make great waves, especially when trying to compete with F1.
The thing is, people spend so much time comparing it with F1, which I don't understand. Why should we compare them? Can't we just enjoy both? They both have their own merits and they both have flaws too. I don't see why it needs to be one or the other all the time.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 22:44 (Ref:2023038)   #21
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I'd go for the current Judd sportscar 5 litre V10 - long time between services but over 800hp without the restrictor.

But the current car sucks, not sure if it's the engine or the chassis though.
I like your style - 5 litre V10, it would be like a modern day F5000. I think in terms of the car, the chassis doesn't seem too great, even with relatively little horsepower, the car seems to move around a lot. It's quite an odd looking thing too, you couldn't say it was pretty. Still, if it had an 800 hp Judd V10 screaming away in the back, I could forgive it.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2025081)   #22
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
trackside the cars are easily fast enough. Producing V10 powered re-used chassis machines would look clumsy if you ask me. The cars have a distinctive look that's easily recognisable. They shouldn't go too far away from that. Yes they look ugly on TV, but up close and at Brands I personally like the way they look.

Anyway, the only mistake is the Sky TV coverage, if it was on BBC then it'd really fly here in the UK...
Old 29 Sep 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2025810)   #23
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Just a few days ago talked to someone about A1GP, he asked me how do drivers get their drives, I said they were nominated, and he lost interest almost immediately.

I think A1GP needs a proper way of "qualifying" its drivers. Maybe an A2 or A3 series? Drivers and teams will need to perform to get promotion to A1, rather than like the current way of just random selection.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 06:46 (Ref:2026502)   #24
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Asa,

Rather misleading to say it's that simple. Each team will of course try to get the best driver available, and look for drivers with proven credentials from other racing categories, plus there are commercial considerations that would come into it, i.e. some many drivers will be happy to just compete while others would expect to be paid various amounts, etc etc. For me it is fascinating to see the mix that results, such as ex-F1 drivers, GP2 drivers, talented and not-so-talented youngsters...

Disadvantage is that you need understanding of other racing categories to appreciate this, however I don't see an easy alternative. At the beginning an "A3" was planned, however it was later dropped as it was found that organising A1GP itself was a big enough task.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2026940)   #25
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Kiwi3, when someone ask you: "how do the drivers get to drive?" and you cannot give a straightforward answer then it is not very good.

We have had drivers who didn't really seem to be "qualified" to race 520 bhp formula cars. Like A1 Singapore last year, Denis Lian was ok-ish but Hafiz Koh was just a karter. Not someone who won some international Super A stuff just an average karter!

There is no system at all as to who can and cannot drive in A1GP and it does not help.