Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Apr 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3388564)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was dubious about mine when I first got them and tried them at home - I didn't think the volume would be anywhere near loud enough, but they're perfect.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 07:45 (Ref:3388568)   #52
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I must admit that it is more the fact that they look so big and silly when they vare on, but if they help me hear the radio and follow the race it is £18 well spent
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3388598)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, I stopped worrying about that long ago! James, Tony and I can often be seen together, all wearing them!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3388613)   #54
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well, i'm a bit of a girl about hearing now, and at ricard on saturday i didn't feel it was necessary to stick my fingers in my ears.

there's no aggressive highs like there is in f1, the only things that get a little bit close to wanting ear protection for are some of the ferraris. everything else is quiet enough that hearing protection is more to give your ears a break from the constant noise rather than stop the high notes from hurting.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 10:47 (Ref:3388628)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Rightly or wrongly, I've never worn anything to protect my ears, figuring if I can survive a front row seat at a Black Sabbath gig, I have little to fear from racing cars... I wear them as they enable me to hear RLM perfectly...
Old 4 Apr 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3388640)   #56
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That is why i am giving them a try, got fed up with wires from my little sony to the ear pieces get caught up and the ear pieces falling out, not really worried about the noise of the cars but being able to hear RLM is why i bought them
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3388697)   #57
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I have Skull Candy in ears attatched to my RLM radio...
But am jealous of the Ear Defender radio thingies, as they are VERY good...
Old 5 Apr 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3388926)   #58
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
well, i'm a bit of a girl about hearing now, and at ricard on saturday i didn't feel it was necessary to stick my fingers in my ears.

there's no aggressive highs like there is in f1, the only things that get a little bit close to wanting ear protection for are some of the ferraris. everything else is quiet enough that hearing protection is more to give your ears a break from the constant noise rather than stop the high notes from hurting.
I get what you're saying completely. When I bought my first set of radio ear defenders, the cars were MUCH louder, and the protection made the 24 hour experience at Le Mans considerably more enjoyable. But, now that the racing is so quiet, relatively speaking, I am actually looking to buck the trend and go back to something altogether more lightweight. Yet to find the right product though...
Old 5 Apr 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3388951)   #59
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

It's true that most of the cars have become quieter, but I find the scream of the ferrari and the Rebellion toyota pretty painfull to the ears. The TS040 was a more deep scream not that high pitched noise.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 07:15 (Ref:3390982)   #60
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I get what you're saying completely. When I bought my first set of radio ear defenders, the cars were MUCH louder, and the protection made the 24 hour experience at Le Mans considerably more enjoyable. But, now that the racing is so quiet, relatively speaking, I am actually looking to buck the trend and go back to something altogether more lightweight. Yet to find the right product though...
Yep, when the trees where still at the inside of the approach to TR, somehow the Porsche GTs sent a reverberating sound which made my whole eardrum reverberate for some time after they'd gone!! Now the trees have gone and with the cars that little bit quieter it isn't such a problem, but it's always good to be able to hear RLM _and_ save your hearing.

Once you've damaged your hearing enough it won't come back... The choice though, off course is everyones to make.

I don't wear my ear defenders 24x7, I always like hearing the sound of the cars in the distance as they go up the Mulsanne. There's something very evocative about that.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3391015)   #61
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ironically the Tinnitus is playing up something ROTTEN today. Middle C in the left ear (Legacy of a Party Popper incident 25 years ago), and it's echo in the right.
Why? I have NO idea. Possibly a LACK of loud noises?
GRRR.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3391845)   #62
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
Yep, when the trees where still at the inside of the approach to TR, somehow the Porsche GTs sent a reverberating sound which made my whole eardrum reverberate for some time after they'd gone!!
That is the exact point on the circuit which prompted me to switch to radio ear defenders...the sound there amplified by the concrete wall. Excruciatingly painful. If it was hot and sunny on the Sunday, I'd spend a lot of time on the little path under the trees next to the trackside fence, to take advantage of the shade...and would stay there until my ears could take no more.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3395435)   #63
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
It's true that most of the cars have become quieter, but I find the scream of the ferrari and the Rebellion toyota pretty painfull to the ears. The TS040 was a more deep scream not that high pitched noise.
Especially because GTE Ferraris do backfire a lot when downshifting. I haven't ever heard a proper GT3 Ferrari in real life, so I can't say if there's difference between GTE and GT3 but GrandAm Ferraris were much softer than their GTE counterparts.

Rebellion made me wonder how do they succeed to keep it inside noise limits? It's not that much quieter than 3.5 litre group C cars.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3396074)   #64
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i gave the new cheap ear muffs a good work out at Silverstone, and they were brilliant, easy to tune radion in and hear RLM, nice and light and best of all they kept my ears warm. The last point was very welcome at Silverstone. So if you want radio ear muffs but bulk at the price then try the clas olson version £15 well spent IMHO
Old 21 Apr 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3396081)   #65
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
and best of all they kept my ears warm. The last point was very welcome at Silverstone.
I also hope it kept your ears dry you have had your share of rain this year
Old 21 Apr 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3396084)   #66
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I also hope it kept your ears dry you have had your share of rain this year
We had some rain but were dry under the covers at Club but it was the wind it just sapped all the heat from you and even with multipal layers we just got colder and colder. But once you left the stands and started walking you were much better.
The real rain came at the end, we were all a little upset at the red flag but as we headed back to the car park the rain got heavier and heavier until it was like a monson and there were rivers of water running everywere.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3434158)   #67
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not trying to bump old threads, but this one suits best for my case. So, most of the time in Le Mans I wore rubber earbuds. And those did the job well, except taking them off too many times may have affected my hearing.
After the race, I didn't feel pain or didn't have ringing ears. But strangely enough, now a month after the race my ear canals feel a bit sore and left and right ear have become slightly unbalanced. Of course, it can be some other reason (summer allergy etc.) since the race was four weeks ago, but I'd be probably lying if I said LM has nothing to do with this issue. So, next year high-SNR ear plugs will be my choise, it's not too late for me.

PS: About a month prior LM I was in an audiometric hearing test and the result was near excellent (agewise), now it feels that the sharpest edge is missing.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3434173)   #68
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Pushing things into your ear has always been the best way of blocking them up with wax, suggest you try some olive oil first and if not go and get them syringed at the doctors, it sounds like an ear wax problem to me, by the way my cheap clas olson radio ear protectors were excellent at le mans this year, could hear RLM and excess noise was blocked out when i wanted to, but i must be honest loved the car noise at the start
Old 15 Jul 2014, 17:48 (Ref:3434180)   #69
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Pushing things into your ear has always been the best way of blocking them up with wax, suggest you try some olive oil first and if not go and get them syringed at the doctors
That can be the problem as well. Once as a teenager (many years ago) I had my ears flushed with ethanol, because wax was so tightly packed inside.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3434228)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always had very good hearing and for years took a simple radio with in-ear headphones. But I've had my Elvex Quietunes now for 4 years (I think) and I'd be lost without them.....

http://www.elvex.com/QuieTunes.htm
Old 15 Jul 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3434236)   #71
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the thread bump, lots of useful advice here.

A couple of years ago I asked a similar question on the ALMS fan forum (RIP) since I was about to get stationed in a very noisy area of the Toronto IndyCar circuit. After much good advice I decided that the easiest/best solution for me was what I was already doing - 3M foam earplugs (now replaced with generic drugstore ones). Rated at 33, they were better than all of the over-ear defenders I could find, at least those that weren't breathtakingly expensive, and much easier to wear under a wide-brimmed hat!

No use at all if you want to listen to RLM or race control, mind you, but plenty quiet enough for today's turbocharged Indycars, even trackside.

Worst experience for me would have been the Trans Am series cars on the Toronto IndyCar track a few years back... man those things are LOUD! The Canadian Tire NASCAR stock cars were brutal too, but I wasn't as close for those...
Old 16 Jul 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3434594)   #72
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Good news. I took GT6's advice and went to the doctor to have my ears checked if there was an ear wax problem. But inside the ear canals there was no wax at all. And that was a part of the problem. Recently I switched from foamy 3M's to flanged silicone earplugs (I use them at work). But it wasn't any good idea, because rubbing dry ear canals with those new plugs multiple times a day wasn't very pleasing. And hearing loss in the right ear was caused probably when I had pushed the earplug way too hard and it had had a contact with the ear drum. Luckily, the drum wasn't ruptured.

Nothing permanently wrong and ears should be fine in a few days. Right ear feels already better than yesterday.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3434625)   #73
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Good news. I took GT6's advice and went to the doctor to have my ears checked if there was an ear wax problem. But inside the ear canals there was no wax at all. And that was a part of the problem. Recently I switched from foamy 3M's to flanged silicone earplugs (I use them at work). But it wasn't any good idea, because rubbing dry ear canals with those new plugs multiple times a day wasn't very pleasing. And hearing loss in the right ear was caused probably when I had pushed the earplug way too hard and it had had a contact with the ear drum. Luckily, the drum wasn't ruptured.

Nothing permanently wrong and ears should be fine in a few days. Right ear feels already better than yesterday.
Glad to hear... but eek! I will take your experience on board and be careful when plugging my ears, so thanks for sharing.

Last edited by rwintle; 16 Jul 2014 at 19:56. Reason: Didn't read your post carefully enough... :P
Old 16 Jul 2014, 20:44 (Ref:3434651)   #74
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Glad i was of some help, ear infections can be a real problem and sometimes it can get very serious, i had a problem after a holiday a few years ago and after seeing the doctor was give a pescription and told it would clear up, after a couple of days the pain got worse and eventually i headed to accident and emergency in the evening when the pain became unbearable, sat waiting for about 3 hours waiting to be seen when i felt something pop, Helen was with me and saw stuff coming out of my ear, funnily enough the nurse then took me straight into the doctor, turned out the infection was in the inner ear and the pop was my eardrum tearing releasing the build up of puss, antibiotics cleared the infection and eardrum repaired itself so no long term damage, Infection was picked up in the holiday pool i was told.
Anyway glad you are getting better now
Old 22 Jul 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3436705)   #75
brico
Rookie

brico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrap up

Thanks again for everyone who has responded to the thread over the past few months. Since I started the thread with a question I thought I'd provide the results of our decision.

Having attended many ALMS and Formula 1 races in North America, we've always used the small foam ear plugs that you roll between your fingers and place in one's ears. These work well for shorter races (ALMS 'sprint' and F1) but would seem to get annoying for longer events.

As part of our preparation for our first 24h we ordered both the 3M (Worktunes) and Elvex (Quiet Tunes) models suggested by several on this forum. Both fit well but the ear muff on the Quiet Tunes was slightly taller than 3M's. While we preferred the auto tuning of the 3M model we also noted that this model had a tendency to ride up the side of one's head, pinching the bottom on one's ears. While the unit may loosen up over time we were concerned that discomfort would occur in worn for a long period of time (say during a 24 hour sports car race).

We went with the Elvex model and couldn't have been more pleased. We were able to tune into RLM during the race to keep track of things - which would have been difficult other wise since we moved around the track and were not always near a big screen.

One final bit of advice, on both the Elvex and 3M models we found that to best tune the unit we had to flip the orientation of the headset when wearing it. This is most likely the position of the receiver in the unit relative to objects around it. On Sunday while sitting in the grandstands the tuner dial was on my right side and the tuner dial on my wife's headset was on the lift side. Both had a decent signal but just something to keep in mind with whatever unit you decide to go with.

Hope this helps.

Brian