Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3270505)   #51
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Take it from me old friend, it aint so bad......
It's not that the idea of a hotel is unattractive, more that I'd be estranged from the 20 plus fellow Le Maniacs whom I bring along and who prefer camping.

There remains something quite magical about that early-morning cup of coffee out in the fresh air, contemplating the river flowing past our campsite which a (usually) over-heated hotel room can't compete with, however comfortable the bed. The stroll over the bridge to buy the baguettes and the croissants, the ice cold beer from the fridge when you return hot and dusty (OK - not this year!) from the track, eating al fresco in evening sunshine - all mostly denied those in hotels.

It's a lot to give up just because arthritis restricts movement.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3270509)   #52
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
After looking through some of my photos from this year and seeing the message at the back of the pits under the massive Porsche posters marking their 16 wins...

... yeah. I'll be pulling the trigger as soon as the tickets become available.

C'est Le Mans où mon coeur bat maintenant.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3270736)   #53
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My money's on 14th/15th...... FWIW.
The traditional rules say this is right .... but the affiliation to the FIA has thrown out the rule book as it has to avoid a clash with F1 - the announcement of the F1 calender will determine the answer unfortunately.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3270755)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure you're right Mal, although it pains me greatly to have the Le Mans dates decided by Bernie's whim.......
Old 27 Jun 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3270846)   #55
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Getting a bit of an itchy trigger finger so might try and pre-book tomorrow for a few aspects of the trip.

From a personal point of view I hope it is the 14th/15th. Fits in better with work.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3270857)   #56
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I don't do Spa 24 this year I'll be booking LM14 ASAP. Either way I'll be there next year as funds *FINALLY* allow it and what a year it will be, hopefully BMW will bring the Z4's along to play in GTE as well.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3270943)   #57
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm sure you're right Mal, although it pains me greatly to have the Le Mans dates decided by Bernie's whim.......
More journos available etc. because they are not across the pond at the Canadian GP is probably a good thing in long-term.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3270951)   #58
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
It's not that the idea of a hotel is unattractive, more that I'd be estranged from the 20 plus fellow Le Maniacs whom I bring along and who prefer camping.

There remains something quite magical about that early-morning cup of coffee out in the fresh air, contemplating the river flowing past our campsite which a (usually) over-heated hotel room can't compete with, however comfortable the bed. The stroll over the bridge to buy the baguettes and the croissants, the ice cold beer from the fridge when you return hot and dusty (OK - not this year!) from the track, eating al fresco in evening sunshine - all mostly denied those in hotels.

It's a lot to give up just because arthritis restricts movement.
Pick the right hotel and I think you can go a long way towards having the sort of pleasurable experience you describe - okay you probably need to go a little bit away from central Le Mans, but within an hour there are some very good chateau style hotels which the last year or two haven't been completely sold out for the 24 hours.

PM me if you want a couple of recommendations.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3271049)   #59
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be returning to Le Mans (after 15 years) in 2014.
We will travel more than 11,000Km to be there, but I need to make my pilgrimage to witness "The Return".
Old 28 Jun 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3271058)   #60
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I have just heard from Nadine at the tourist office and she has said ACO members will be able to order in November with non members able to apply in December, and no date set yet.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3271234)   #61
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My money's on 14th/15th...... FWIW.
Fyi..

FIA WORLD ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP

In order to preserve the historic date of the Le Mans 24 Hours, which this year celebrated its 90th edition, the date of 14/15 June 2014 has been retained to ensure that a Formula One Grand Prix is not hosted the same weekend.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3271236)   #62
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^ http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-1

Now even more clearly a shared interest to avoid a clash.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3271238)   #63
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Perfect, now I know what week to definitely ask off from work next year.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3271245)   #64
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Perfect, now I know what week to definitely ask off from work next year.
....until Bernie asks for it to be altered again
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3271247)   #65
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
....until Bernie asks for it to be altered again
Nah, I think this time Todt is going to tell Bernie to go and stuff himself if he tries to put a GP on that date.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3271248)   #66
deggis
Veteran

Finland
This year it for sure almost became a farce, as it was originally moved to avoid New Jersey GP clash, then that GP was cancelled and if the replacement GP had happened (Paul Ricard or Turkey), it might have ended up on the LM weekend anyway.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3271277)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And does it really matter anyway...... I still know where I'll be.......
Old 28 Jun 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3271315)   #68
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And does it really matter anyway...... I still know where I'll be.......
Me too, and not with the slightest hint of doubt.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3271331)   #69
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to see them go on the offensive and set a date. This time they shouldn't budge - regardless of what happens as they can't afford to keep setting the precedent.

They should go a step further and try to box off that weekend in June for the considerable future. The announcement might have been alluding to that I can't really tell.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3271337)   #70
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Last year there was no WMSC decision about the date (at least not in the summer [July] WMSC meeting), so the original date must have been only ACO's solo announcement. So it feels like this was now made to avoid last year's farce.

Last edited by deggis; 28 Jun 2013 at 19:09.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3271536)   #71
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The statement released by the FIA is, of course, factually incorrect.....
Old 29 Jun 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3271614)   #72
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The come back of the 24th week and only 50 weeks of waiting !
Old 29 Jun 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3271690)   #73
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Best news I've had all day Allon - looking forward to it already. (And we'll get the Craigster along one of these days, I'm sure.)

For those who are wondering "who the heck" - I have spent the last few years putting together a little bookshop in the depths of the Derbyshire peaks and my motor racing has been limited to Donington, Le Mans Classic and the Goodwood Revival for the last four years or so. So I'm somewhat out of the loop.

But if the sums add up, hopefully I'll be in a position to take on a couple more staff in the coming year and get my weekends back for a little motorsport, and the call of Virages Arnage et Mulsanne is almost impossible to bear right now.

You have no idea how complicated it is explaining the presence of Le Mans posters and a Bentley EXP 8 on the desk of an antiquarian bookshop.
Wondered where you'd disappeared to, Tim. Just found your website and took a look. The brother in law would love the shop by the sound of it. Will send him the link. If you suddenly get a rush of orders going to Copenhagen you know why
Old 1 Jul 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3272239)   #74
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, guys! I really enjoyed the trip to LM24 and meeting with you this year, so I want to come again in 2014, but not sure if it will be possible (mainly because the policy in our company is that you can't have vacation during the summer time for 2 years in a row). So who knows...
Old 1 Jul 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3272296)   #75
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year was my 25th but have to say for several reasons it was far from the best. I'm sure I'll be back next year. The LMP 1 lure will be too great not to, but plans will certainly be different. Hope the regulars in my party will feel the same.