Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Nov 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3327754)   #1
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2014 Le Mans Legends?

Does anyone know what cars will be running in the Legends race at the 24 Hour in 2014?
Old 6 Nov 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3327756)   #2
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's Group C cars again I believe.

If you're after an entry list, then that's some way off yet, and it probably won't be worth looking at as usually the field looks different to the one in the programme. It will probably be the usual line-up of Porsches, a couple of Jags, a Lancia or two, maybe even a Merc, and a host of odd-ball C2 machinery.

Not sure about atmo cars though. We haven't seen one at Le Mans yet I don't think.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3327850)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes I think next year we are back to Group C cars, but what shows up is always changing, the growth in races for these cars has increased the amount of cars in racing condition but it also means that cars which previously raced as support to the 24 hours are often committed to other races/series
Old 6 Nov 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3328083)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm hoping that we'll get a 905 or a C291 next year. They are doing the rounds but have yet to make the trip. The problem is the people with the most cars (Bob Berridge) can only bring so many.

Zero Jags last year was a big disappointment.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3328128)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would so love to see a 905 and/or a TS010. If I'm honest, I'm no longer so taken with the idea of traditional Group C cars. I've seen them race at Le Mans now (not very often in great anger - unsurprisingly) so many times, that I believe it's time to move forward a handful of years.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3328143)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This would be nice

Old 6 Nov 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3328161)   #7
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
With quick Nic behind the steering wheel
Old 6 Nov 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3328172)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
This would be nice

Yes, bootiful - although it didn't ever run in anger at Le Mans, sadly.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3328177)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I was flicking through the '91 annual the other day.

Did any forumers catch either the Jag XJR 14 or the C291 in practice? That would be a collectors item.

The #2 Merc did four laps in the hands of Fritz Kreutzpointner on the Wednesday before being packed up. It cruised around and barely got under the 7-minute mark.

The #4 Jag was on provisional pole on Wednesday in the hands of Andy Wallace. It continued to set times into Thursday and was a net second quickest. Then withdrawn. I don't think the #3 car ever came out from under the covers and didn't turn a lap.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3328179)   #10
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I was flicking through the '91 annual the other day.

Did any forumers catch either the Jag XJR 14 or the C291 in practice? That would be a collectors item.

The #2 Merc did four laps in the hands of Fritz Kreutzpointner on the Wednesday before being packed up. It cruised around and barely got under the 7-minute mark.

The #4 Jag was on provisional pole on Wednesday in the hands of Andy Wallace. It continued to set times into Thursday and was a net second quickest. I don't think the #3 car ever came out from under the covers and didn't turn a lap.
There's a 5-10-second clip of one of the XJR-14s at the first chicane in the first few minutes of the Radio Le Mans video for 1991.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3328192)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A field with the Peugeot 905, Toyota TS010, Jaguar XJR-14, Mazda 787B and the Mercedes C291, would be awesome!
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3328202)   #12
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, bootiful - although it didn't ever run in anger at Le Mans, sadly.
Its decapitated sibling did rather well in '96 and '97
Old 6 Nov 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3328212)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Very true!
Old 6 Nov 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3328224)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been brought up to hate the atmo cars. My dad blames them for killing the Group C era. I used to have to throw darts at a picture of a 905....

It's a running joke, but he's half right. No one can argue with the fact the XJR 14 and the 905 are spectacular things to watch over a single lap. Maybe my dad's curses have rubbed off on me, but for me, those kind of cars are the defining image of a golden era which withered away before it needed to.

Those things were F1 cars with covered wheels and a roof. Impressive to watch, prohibitively expensive to run, and largely irrelevant. They weren't endurance racers, and more to the point, they weren't Le Mans cars like the old Group C cars were.

It's hard to believe the difference between 1989 and 1992.

I'd love to see one raced properly though. Marmite they may be, they're still part of the history of the race, and they'd sound brilliant.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3328231)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I've been brought up to hate the atmo cars. My dad blames them for killing the Group C era. I used to have to throw darts at a picture of a 905....

It's a running joke, but he's half right. No one can argue with the fact the XJR 14 and the 905 are spectacular things to watch over a single lap. Maybe my dad's curses have rubbed off on me, but for me, those kind of cars are the defining image of a golden era which withered away before it needed to.

Those things were F1 cars with covered wheels and a roof. Impressive to watch, prohibitively expensive to run, and largely irrelevant. They weren't endurance racers, and more to the point, they weren't Le Mans cars like the old Group C cars were.

It's hard to believe the difference between 1989 and 1992.

I'd love to see one raced properly though. Marmite they may be, they're still part of the history of the race, and they'd sound brilliant.
I sort of agrees with you, as the cars were a bit "fake", as they where F1 cars "converted" to Le Mans.
However, I'm still fascinated with how advanced they where!
The thing that kills the fascination the era for me, is the 3,5L rule. Le Mans racing should never be limited in that sort of fashion.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3328249)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

It is a shame you didn't. They were utterly spectacular in every respect. They didn't kill off Group C. Balestre didn't need any help doing that.......
Old 6 Nov 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3328270)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's also worth saying - if anyone knows where you can still get the Spark 1:18 model of the XJR-14 Le Mans test car - I'd be interested.

They all seem to have gone.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3363847)   #18
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Group C/GTP Racing are honoured to once again be invited to return to Le Mans 24hrs as a support race in 2014.
http://www.groupcracing.com/pages/302
Old 4 Feb 2014, 07:40 (Ref:3363941)   #19
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Woho!
Old 4 Feb 2014, 09:39 (Ref:3363980)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think Group C is the most popular era for most on here
Old 4 Feb 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3364015)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think Group C is the most popular era for most on here
Group C, 5 and 6 is probably the best era's of Le Mans
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3364105)   #22
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Like the Group C cars, and every time I find it special to see them. But I think it is a bit boring to only see the 50's-60's cars in the odd years and the Group C in the even years.
I think it's time for something new, late 70's Group 5 and 6 cars or 90's GT1 cars for example.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3364321)   #23
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's because both have organizations behind them that coordinate their racing. Would make it a lot easier to get the old gt1s if there was a coordinated effort behind them.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3364342)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I think that the problem with the GT1 cars from the nineties would also be how many are actually around in private hands to actually go racing
Old 5 Feb 2014, 10:33 (Ref:3364368)   #25
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Why not Group 5/6/all kinds of cars from the 1970s? There's always plenty of them racing at the Classic, why not in the Legends race every now and again?