Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Apr 2014, 20:29 (Ref:3393010)   #1
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Fireworks at Le Mans

Funny that is. We talk here about just everything Le Mans related, the race, the cars, the meetings, the food, the track and so on and so on.
However, I haven't seen any threads about that other very tipical part of Le Mans:

FIREWORKS !!!

So let me start such a thread right here and now.

We'll be bringing some nice 6" mortars with accompanying shells. There'll also be one or two socalled 'flowerbeds'. These are basically sturdy boxes filled with one or two inch mortars, firing a small display for about two minutes.

Anyone else bringing something?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3393013)   #2
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I most be honest and say, that I never noticed any fireworks at Le Mans .
Either I am sleeping or way to focused on the track, to notice anything in the sky...

So, I won't bring anything
Old 15 Apr 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3393014)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I love fireworks but not in the campsites at Le mans, what goes up must come down and in an area filled with lovely cars and tents/gazebo's you can see why the ACO has tried to stamp them out.
many years ago in Houx a chap camped next to us in a beautiful soft top e type was in tears when a rocket came down on his car wrecked roof and bonnet.
Please think carefully about what is around you before setting off something that might end in disaster for some and trouble for you
Old 15 Apr 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3393022)   #4
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I love fireworks but not in the campsites at Le mans, what goes up must come down and in an area filled with lovely cars and tents/gazebo's you can see why the ACO has tried to stamp them out.
many years ago in Houx a chap camped next to us in a beautiful soft top e type was in tears when a rocket came down on his car wrecked roof and bonnet.
Please think carefully about what is around you before setting off something that might end in disaster for some and trouble for you
Naturally. Only selfdestructing mortarshells. No rockets from our camp.

Sadly, thanks to unresponsible behaviour, things can get out of hand in campsites like Le Mans. We've had our tent scorced by a camping gas can once. Luckely it was a cotton tent.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3393030)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Most modern tents are no longer cotton they will melt very fast if something hot hots then and then burn,

The ACO banned then some time ago one reason was the risk to the race cars of falling debris in those days the cars were mostly open
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3393428)   #6
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Most modern tents are no longer cotton they will melt very fast if something hot hots then and then burn,

The ACO banned then some time ago one reason was the risk to the race cars of falling debris in those days the cars were mostly open

That's why one sees the most fireworks being lit on the Friday and Sundaynight.

When used responsibly, and no harm comes to anyone or anything, it's allways a joy to see a good display.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3393442)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
That's why one sees the most fireworks being lit on the Friday and Sundaynight.

When used responsibly, and no harm comes to anyone or anything, it's allways a joy to see a good display.
Well i don't want to sound like a grumpy git but with thousands of tents/gazebo's and nice cars around i can understand the need to be careful but if you are sure no one will suffer damage and no accidents will be caused by hot dead fireworks hitting the track or worse still the cars/drivers you can take that risk, but i think people around you will not be impressed by your attitude the ACO might also be very unimpressed by your arguments that they are safe
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3393444)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I most be honest and say, that I never noticed any fireworks at Le Mans
You what ...................
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:52 (Ref:3393448)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Not seem many since the ACO banned them a few years ago after one landed on the track during the race
Old 16 Apr 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3393451)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
To be quite honest, in all my years, I've hardly seen any either - except perhaps in the distance.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3393493)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Often seen them off in the distance towards Houx, and somewhat more rarely closer in.

I figure there's a time and a place for everything, and I'm not certain that a campsite where there's a lot of high spirits and booze, to say nothing of expensive cars, is always going to be the best place for fireworks.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3393511)   #12
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Often seen them off in the distance towards Houx, and somewhat more rarely closer in.

I figure there's a time and a place for everything, and I'm not certain that a campsite where there's a lot of high spirits and booze, to say nothing of expensive cars, is always going to be the best place for fireworks.
Yes well,I guess just booze, high spirits and fast cars together is allready a volatile mix. Not much goes wrong there. Again, if used/enjoyed in the right amounts and with the right level of responsibillity, chances are very slim of something bad happening.

One must be really deprived of working braincells to lit fireworks in such close vicinity as the track with the race going on! No wonder that's banned.
I personally have never seen any go off near the track myself. Not in the 20 odd years I've visited the place now.
Just once seen a firework gone wrong, in a campsite, on the ground. This was because of an accident or improper use. An ambulance had to show up to treat a few people.
I've seen many more ambulances show up for car or bike accidents or improper use of them. Also many more for improper use of alcohol or other substances. Campfires and barbies are also strong contenders for most injuries and damages at Le Mans...

I guess my point is that if we remove all the possible dangers, things get boring very soon.

I'm very experienced in setting off professional fireworks. Safety is allways the number one issue when performing a display.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3393526)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The campsites i use are right by the track and rockets do not come straight back down, wind and direction of flight can easily result in the hot remains coming down where they should not if an accident happens and people blame you then trouble starts and the local police will not be nice to people who have been silly, I know you think that fireworks are fun but the days of letting them off in the middle of a full camp site our well in the past and if someone get hurt the law suits will be very good for lawyers and very expensive for those found at fault
Old 16 Apr 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3393572)   #14
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
The campsites i use are right by the track and rockets do not come straight back down, wind and direction of flight can easily result in the hot remains coming down where they should not if an accident happens and people blame you then trouble starts and the local police will not be nice to people who have been silly, I know you think that fireworks are fun but the days of letting them off in the middle of a full camp site our well in the past and if someone get hurt the law suits will be very good for lawyers and very expensive for those found at fault
Come on there now Simon, fireworks are fun. And the police shouldn't be nice against people who've acted irresponsible and silly. That's what they're there fore, aren't they? It's seems that I have to repeat myself in explaining that if the things people do to enjoy, for instance drive fast cars, drink alcohol, cook meat over a fire and lite the odd peace of pretty fireworks safely, no harm will be done to anyone.

It seems that in your world such is not possible? That's sad. It very much is in ours. You would enjoy it too.

By the way, I've yet to see rockets being launched at Le Mans. Mostly mortar shells. Which desintegrate into tiny pieces of paper when they go off, that don't set alite the surrounding area.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3393587)   #15
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans seems to be different to the Nürburgring.

There are more fireworks than in New Years Night!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:12 (Ref:3393594)   #16
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's been a while (2007), but one of the abiding memories I have is of the fireworks on Sunday night (don't remember them on any other day). Happened to be one bloke a few metres away from me (in Beausejour), and no sleep until it was over! Only saw two others, one down Tertre Rouge way, and another somewhere in between - the three of them took turns to send something up.

I understand about the debris - I was in my tent when it started, and I could hear the stuff falling on my fly - nothing heavy, but I figured that was another reason to get up and watch!!
Old 17 Apr 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3393708)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Please do not get me wrong i love fireworks and always have but in a campsite full of tents etc they have been banned for a reason and yes i remember 20 years ago loads of people letting them off and enjoyed the sight but times change, if your fireworks cause problems for others expect to be held responsible and have to explain to the police why you felt that the rules did not apply to you, or take the fireworks to an area where you can let them off safely
Old 24 Apr 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3397631)   #18
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are a pain, they now seem to start on Thursday afternoon (maybe even Wednesday) and are let off at anytime between then and Saturday...

It's great for one evening, but every night and in the daytime as well??

We haven't tended to stay on Sunday, but are staying this year... So will see what it's like.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3397828)   #19
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
They're good fun. As long as they're lit proparly. We often have a sit down together when darkness falls to enjoy the shows.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3397855)   #20
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Fireworks at Le Mans...as long as it doesn't disturb me then fine by me.