Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3393583)   #301
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
( Feel free to move this if you thing this is not the most appropriate thread).

These questions are probably going to make me look somewhat foolish; however I am interested in the answers. Now my main area of interest is the BTCC and with the introduction of new NGTC rules the series has been given a new and sustainable lease of life, the reasons of which I have read about and understand.

However, I am interested in all forms of Motor Sport and have recently been enjoying the thrilling GT action of the Blancpain Endurance Series et al. Now obviously GT racing in general is looking exceedingly healthy, you could make a very strong case for it being the best category in modern motor racing. I understand that the major series all use the GT3 regulations.

My questions are: What exactly are GT3 regulations? And why are they working? What is the difference between GT4, GT3 and GTE regulations and why is it that apparently GT3 is working so well on a national level compared with GT4? If GT3 is so healthy, why does the WEC insist on only allowing GTE entries, is this a manufacture related thing? Finally, is GT3 a sustainable set of regulations?

Last edited by BtccLee; 16 Apr 2014 at 22:28.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3393593)   #302
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 regulations: http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...282014%29x.pdf - basically build a car, get it homologated and BoP'd. (FIA GT3 BoP, British GT BoP) Then go race it in any GT3 series.

GT4 are less developed and slower cars.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3393599)   #303
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post

My questions are: What exactly are GT3 regulations? And why are they working? What is the difference between GT4, GT3 and GTE regulations and why is it that apparently GT3 is working so well on a national level compared with GT4? If GT3 is so healthy, why does the WEC insist on only allowing GTE entries, is this a manufacture related thing? Finally, is GT3 a sustainable set of regulations?
GT3 and GTE are trying to achieve two vary different things, even though the cars make look and sound similar.

The GT3 formula is designed to create impressive, fast GT cars which are affordable to run and easy to race for the privateer. As such, there are aids on a GT3 car that you wouldn't find on a GTE car, to assist the gentleman driver. The GT3 cars are subject to Balance of Performance, so no chassis outperforms the rest. The GT3 regulations have been incredibly successful and that's partially down the the stability which makes the cars eligible in many different series.

GTE cars, meanwhile, tend to be faster machinery and are certainly more expensive. GT3 cars peddled by a pro driver can be quicker in wet conditions as they're easier to drive, but generally, they're slower. This is the real "win on the Sunday, sell on the Monday" category - you build a car to the rules (though they all run with waivers), rather than building anything and then pegging it to the performance of the rest of the field. Unfortunately, GTE has headed towards a BoP route in recent years, but there is more free reign for the manufacturers to compete with one another.

GT3 is trying to create an affordable, level playing field, while GTE is creating a platform for manufacturers to race each other in order to prove something. So the philosophy behind the GT3 regulations works extremely well for other series, but doesn't really fit in with the ethos of the WEC or Le Mans. That, and the GT3 cars would get in the way of the prototypes a bit too much.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3393602)   #304
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of speed GTE and GT3 are pretty much even.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 00:57 (Ref:3393618)   #305
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1/GT2(Now GTE) regulates cars to be built to a certain set of parameters(base weight, displacement, whatever) but FIA/ACO may issue waivers for different cars, the adjustment of which is becoming a de facto BoP now.
GT3/4 are built from production cars with whatever parts you like and gets homologated and BoP'ed.
You can have a pure racing bred engine in GT2/GTE as V8 Vantage GTE, but only production engine with minor modification is allowed in GT3/4 as V12 Vantage GT3.
The problem with GT4 is that it's no less expensive than a touring car, but not as fast.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3394055)   #306
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Got my first taste of the BES yesterday, and I must say, they've got a new fan. 7/8 of the drivers I've never heard of, and livery design is very amateur for the most part (in both design, and color usage. Too many black or white cars), but it's definitely a series I'll be watching in the future.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3396576)   #307
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SRO has updated the Blancpain GT Series (BES and BSS) standings:
http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/e...type=0_0_teams

Quite clearly laid out, I have to admit.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3397300)   #308
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
Quite clearly laid out, I have to admit.
Express yourself please.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3397385)   #309
IndyMeister
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Express yourself please.
Easy to get an overview, I meant.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3399118)   #310
P3ndula
Racer

Serbia
London
P3ndula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off topic but the new Silverstone site is a real mess and not just the look and navigation. Wanted to book Blancpain tickets but can't log in.
Old 28 Apr 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3399279)   #311
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This edit of Vadim Kogay's mishaps at Monza is remarkably entertaining.

http://youtu.be/O4HSpx3aBq8
Old 29 Apr 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3399533)   #312
IndyMeister
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3ndula View Post
Slightly off topic but the new Silverstone site is a real mess and not just the look and navigation. Wanted to book Blancpain tickets but can't log in.
Once upon a time (i.e. 2011) they had different log-in/booking systems for UK and "the others" for FIA GT1. I suguest you contact them right away via e-mail.
For me everything went smoothly with the direct contact.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3399575)   #313
P3ndula
Racer

Serbia
London
P3ndula should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
Once upon a time (i.e. 2011) they had different log-in/booking systems for UK and "the others" for FIA GT1. I suguest you contact them right away via e-mail.
For me everything went smoothly with the direct contact.
To the best of my knowledge the Classic is the only event that uses a separate booking system. I've already created a new account it's just a pity that I can't see my old and pending bookings (eg. British GP).
Old 12 May 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3405353)   #314
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Partial Entry List for Spa 24H (from E-I)

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/24h...lus-de-60-gt3/

Nice to see Manthey on the list with the Wochenspiegel GT3 R. Shame there are no Porsches in PRO though.
Old 12 May 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3405358)   #315
Rookie

456 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys having read this could somebody tell me how much it cost to compete in the Endurance Series and the Sprint series. I am going to the Brands Hatch round this weekend and I would love to know how much teams are spending on a seasons racing (and how does it compare the the BTCC). Thanks
Old 12 May 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3405384)   #316
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funny how the Dane Cameron-Matt Griffin pairing for AF Corse is in Pro-Am. awesome pairing right there.

*edit* I suppose the AM driver has not been announced yet. Wonder who it'll be.
Old 12 May 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3405393)   #317
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Pretty sure that's Duncan Cameron mate, a very good gentleman driver and a common teammate to Matt.

Nice list, wasn't expecting a Pro Porsche but lack of a works Aston is a small pity.

Edit: just seen that the EI list and info is a bit different to the SRO list of 63 (you can find the link at sportscar365), where the AMR Brussels team is listed Pro on the former, Pro-Am on the latter. Either way, will be good to have their two cars.

Last edited by Rodger Davies; 12 May 2014 at 13:54.
Old 12 May 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3405418)   #318
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice to see that MVDS presence is confirmed, and yes the lack of the official blue/yellow bilnstein vantage is disappointing but at least there are Beechdean AMR and Brussels Racing AMR that should be a sort of semi-official teams. Nice to see a reiter gallardo in the pro cup too. Last year the manthey presence in pro cup was made official just 2 or 3 week before the race, we have still 2 months to go.
Again is still disappointing the lack of a work af corse in pro cup...
Old 12 May 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3405476)   #319
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
But last year Porsche went all out to win to celebrate 50 years of the 911, it was a one-off.

Also, they need a new GT3 based on the 991....
Old 13 May 2014, 04:16 (Ref:3405709)   #320
911targa
Veteran

Taiwan
911targa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss Haribo most, they finished 2nd in PRO-AM in 2012 and named Dumas and Collard last year for a PRO entry.

Maybe there won't be a 991 GT3 R till 2016's GTE-GT3 merge.
Old 13 May 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3405763)   #321
Dimension
Rookie

European Union
on the mind of a woman near you
Dimension should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe, but on the other hand Porsche developed the GT-America which is much more of a niche model imo. I think the chances for a new GT3 Porsche are not too slim.

@ Rodger Davies,

ah, forgot about Duncan. That may well be so!
Old 13 May 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3405781)   #322
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911targa View Post
Maybe there won't be a 991 GT3 R till 2016's GTE-GT3 merge.
It would take a brave man to gamble on when those regs get confirmed. Sounds like it's all fallen apart!
Old 13 May 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3405822)   #323
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Watching the Monza race replay and am wondering where ART get their funding from with three pro drivers and a car devoid of major sponsorship? I'm guessing Parente's a freebie from McLaren though.
Old 13 May 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3405972)   #324
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Some additional entries, from British GT and VLN teams announced for at Silverstone- 3 Astons, a Bentley and a BMW

Generation Bentley: James Appleby/Steve Tandy/Jody Fannin (Pro-Am),
Triple Eight BMW: Lee Mowle/Ryan Ratcliffe/Derek Johnson (Gent),
Beechdean Aston: Andrew Howard/Daniel Lloyd/Alex MacDowell (Pro-Am)
Horsepower Aston: Andy Schulz/Paul Bailey (Gent)
Leonard Motorsport Aston: Stuart Leonard/Paul White/Jonny Adam (Pro-Am)

http://sportscar365.com/blancpain/be...ndurance-grid/
Old 13 May 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3406040)   #325
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I wonder with this race and the 3 hr British GT meeting being only a week apart whether maby if the European teama will stay on and do both Silverstone events?