Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Mar 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3626216)   #6776
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2016 livery...yes

2016 bodywork... don´t think so!!!!!!
Old 23 Mar 2016, 08:43 (Ref:3626224)   #6777
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
2016 livery...yes

2016 bodywork... don´t think so!!!!!!
I expect the car to run with the same body kit as in the photos for the prologue, but a new down force package at Silverstone.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3626231)   #6778
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I expect the car to run with the same body kit as in the photos for the prologue, but a new down force package at Silverstone.
Probably they will run Silverstone with this package, not a new one, and bring the Le Mans 2016 aero in SPA...!!!
Old 23 Mar 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3626237)   #6779
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Probably they will run Silverstone with this package, not a new one, and bring the Le Mans 2016 aero in SPA...!!!
No - They have said they will have 3 packages:
  1. Down force package for the first 2 races of the season.
  2. Le mans low down force package.
  3. Updated down force package for the remaining races of the season.

"In 2016 the 919 will start the season running a high downforce package. It will be tackling Le Mans with an extremely low downforce configuration and will have another high downforce package for the following six WEC races". - Porsche
Old 23 Mar 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3626239)   #6780
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
We will never know the actual power outputs: What is interesting is the delta between the two claims, not the value of the claims themselves.
I may have an explanation: It is possible that Porsche is quoting total power at Le Mans (with the hybrid power capped), whilst Audi is quoting non-Le Mans configuration.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 09:51 (Ref:3626243)   #6781
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
power figures official statements are a joke... only engineers know real data. I just think that because of engine updates and developements, the loss of hp from thermal engine because of most recent fuel flow values will be minimal and timelaps will be close to 2015. Only at le mans unlikely we will see again 3.16 because of 1000hp limit.

It doesn't exist 1000hp or 900hp... max power changes time after time, because there are infinite situations and variables (ERS settings, ERS maps, battery degradation, long or short boost release, etc....)
Old 23 Mar 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3626244)   #6782
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
power figures official statements are a joke... only engineers know real data. I just think that because of engine updates and developements, the loss of hp from thermal engine because of most recent fuel flow values will be minimal and timelaps will be close to 2015. Only at le mans unlikely we will see again 3.16 because of 1000hp limit.

It doesn't exist 1000hp or 900hp... max power changes time after time, because there are infinite situations and variables (ERS settings, ERS maps, battery degradation, long or short boost release, etc....)
This is quite clear and we are in agreement.
The main purpose of my observation is to try and understand the discrepancy in the claimed output from one marque and the other. 100 bhp is quite significant.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3626249)   #6783
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
claims are just words and numbers to write a press release...
early in 2014 there was toyota "PRring" with his >1200hp and the "little" audi with only 800hp...
Old 23 Mar 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3626253)   #6784
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Yes, this could be an explanation: Just words.
Let's hope.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3626263)   #6785
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Here is the car with what looks like a high downforce package:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...rs/919-hybrid/

Last edited by Spyderman; 23 Mar 2016 at 11:18.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:30 (Ref:3626284)   #6786
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, this could be an explanation: Just words.
Let's hope.
Disclosed power outputs in racing have always been just words, it's just a tiny bit of psychological warfare between the teams.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3626292)   #6787
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Disclosed power outputs in racing have always been just words, it's just a tiny bit of psychological warfare between the teams.
I remember when both Audi and Peugeot kept insisting that their cars had around 550hp during the peak of the Diesel-battle years when Alex Wurz years later later revealed that the 908 had an excess of 800hp
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:05 (Ref:3626299)   #6788
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really bad new livery for porsche in my opinion. it almost looks like the cars crashed before their presentation with all that black concentrated on the front of the car.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3626303)   #6789
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Like this livery MUCH more than the old one, but I'm still hoping for LM oneoff colors again.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3626305)   #6790
sssssssss
Veteran

sssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsssssssss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the red and black ones were really beautiful last year indeed. but as the german custom predicts, it was still the white one of the three to win.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3626324)   #6791
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I'm not a great fan of this new livery. It looks ok from some angles and less so from others.
I would have nothing against an all white car with some black, red and yellow accents.
Old 23 Mar 2016, 13:54 (Ref:3626325)   #6792
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique

What I wouldn't give to see a livery like this one on a 919
Old 23 Mar 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3626349)   #6793
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New livery is much better, but far short of what could be done. It is amazing how much they spent to create cars that have a boring livery, or livery that can be easily confused with a competitor.

Richard
Old 23 Mar 2016, 16:09 (Ref:3626368)   #6794
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I like it here:
Old 23 Mar 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3626522)   #6795
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I remember when both Audi and Peugeot kept insisting that their cars had around 550hp during the peak of the Diesel-battle years when Alex Wurz years later later revealed that the 908 had an excess of 800hp
I think he was speaking of the V12 5,5 litres of 2010. The V8 3,7 litres was supposed to give 550 hp, but not much more.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 02:21 (Ref:3626550)   #6796
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm so disappointed in the livery (which is a lazy effort in my opinion)and the 919's overall evolution. The pictures on the Porsche media site are last years photos edited with the new livery!
Old 24 Mar 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3626554)   #6797
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What I wouldn't give to see a livery like this one on a 919
There was something about the 917's lines that lent itself to a livery like that. The 919 hasn't got that.

Awesome shot.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 03:02 (Ref:3626558)   #6798
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get the bashing of this livery, it's very nice to me.

Very underwhelming aero development there and I expect Porsche to fight with Toyota, miles behind the much faster R18

"After intense testing in February, an increase in performance on the part of the Michelin
tyres is expected."

Toyota was like this last year, they improved 2s but most of that came from Michelin and it seems Porsche will rely mostly on them this year too as ERS is on the ceiling and the aero it way too conservative.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 05:22 (Ref:3626563)   #6799
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
I don't get the bashing of this livery, it's very nice to me. .
Different strokes for different folks.
Quote:
Very underwhelming aero development there and I expect Porsche to fight with Toyota, miles behind the much faster R18.
To be fair, the package in the photos is highly likely not to be the final version, but I get where you coming from. Furthermore, I understand that small changes in aero often have huge impacts, so I wouldn't be too quick to condemn it until we see it perform on track.
Also - At this stage of the game, there is no evidence at all (other than your suspicion) that Audi is much quicker than either Porsche or Toyota.

Quote:
"After intense testing in February, an increase in performance on the part of the Michelin
tyres is expected".
To be fair, that is not the only improvement that they mentioned in the PR.

Quote:
"Toyota was like this last year, they improved 2s but most of that came from Michelin and it seems Porsche will rely mostly on them this year too as ERS is on the ceiling and the aero it way too conservative.
This may very well be the case (although right now there is little evidence besides our reading in between the lines). It may be one of the reasons behind Hitzinger's desire to move on to a more challenging project.
Old 24 Mar 2016, 06:23 (Ref:3626571)   #6800
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Audi being faster is a guess right now. But based on last year, they'll need to step it up big time. They were slower over one lap and a stint. And Porsche could go further on a stint, not to mention their refueling trick. It'll be interesting to see how Audi and Toyota respond.