Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Dec 2011, 21:02 (Ref:3002429)   #176
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, my mistake. how many seats left now?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 21:47 (Ref:3002451)   #177
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far 7 drivers confirmed (Ericsson, Gutierrez, Calado, Richelmi, Leal, Melker and Ceccon). Depending on if Super Nova will start (or sold), either 17 or 19 seats left.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 16:08 (Ref:3002758)   #178
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably Chilton will carry on with Carlin and Rossi with Caterham as he is their junior driver it would make sense. Leimer and Racing Engineering must also be likely given their performance in testing and Abu Dhabi.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 16:13 (Ref:3002761)   #179
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
suppose it depends if rossi has a big chunk of financial backing from caterham or if not he has the wallet size independantly. you'd hope caterham would support him, but on the other hand if they have good interest from the well-upholstered in their gp2 seats it might be more cost effective and not lose him any wisdom or skills to place him in a fr3.5 team again.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 20:36 (Ref:3002888)   #180
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supernova finally closed its doors today, without a deal to sell the team wrapped up.

I wonder if Supernova will be the only team to drop out of GP2 with costs spiraling up and up and drivers budgets in free fall.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 21:39 (Ref:3002920)   #181
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertec View Post
Supernova finally closed its doors today, without a deal to sell the team wrapped up.

I wonder if Supernova will be the only team to drop out of GP2 with costs spiraling up and up and drivers budgets in free fall.
RIP Supernova then.

One of the best teams ever to compete in F3000/GP2. So many stars came up through David Sears' equipe but the team had found it tough going in the last 5 or so years it has to be said.

Still it will be strange without those midnight blue and yellow cars, just as it was to me at least when Onyx went years back, in a funny sort of way.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 10:43 (Ref:3003110)   #182
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=chunterer;3002920]RIP Supernova then.

One of the best teams ever to compete in F3000/GP2.

Totally agree with chunterer here

Its a sad day for motorsport in general when a great team like Supernova finishes, and I mean 'team' as in team members all top notch. I am sure they will all find new teams to go to quickly.

GP2 as a series need to look closely at where the series is going and what they are producing, money should not be king in th top feeder series to F1. They need to find a way of bringing real talent through not just the advantaged few
Old 22 Dec 2011, 12:30 (Ref:3003161)   #183
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have to agree, Super Nova will be much missed. David Sears brought on many talents, through SN and his satellite teams, even if they never reached their former glory in GP2. As they were top dog when I first followed F3000, I always had a fondness for them... helped by the fact they were one of the few teams to largely have an unchanged livery over many of their seasons (seems team colours and driver helmet colours remaining consistent year-to-year is a rarity these days).

I've little sympathy for GP2 if this is the first of a number of teams to drop out. GP2 "Asia" was obviously a stretch for the teams, and now those flyaways are incorporated into the main series... surely the rich and talentless like Leal and Richelmi will be increasing in proportion? F.Renault 3.5 now looks a much more attractive series for drivers and the likes of Red Bull.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 14:27 (Ref:3003215)   #184
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for the 2nd time this week another driver has been given a drive for GP2. (yes, same places as before)
Old 22 Dec 2011, 16:45 (Ref:3003260)   #185
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Zen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've little sympathy for GP2 if this is the first of a number of teams to drop out. GP2 "Asia" was obviously a stretch for the teams, and now those flyaways are incorporated into the main series... surely the rich and talentless like Leal and Richelmi will be increasing in proportion? F.Renault 3.5 now looks a much more attractive series for drivers and the likes of Red Bull.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean in a few years time we will only have the rich and the talentless in F1 and of course Red Bulls 'talented' sponsored drivers, Ferrari have the right idea to bring back testing in F1 and get the real talented drivers in F1 early so as not to waste all their money in GP2.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 17:06 (Ref:3003263)   #186
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i refer the rt honorable members to my previous suggestion (i forgot where) that gp2 needs to be aligned with f1 commercially, and that cash needs to be found by the f1 teams to support their gp2 team. all drivers bring the same affordable budget. within gp2 f1 teams can then evaluate drivers, train engineers and mechanics, and gain more exposure for their brands.

formula renault 3.5 does a better job at being gp2 than gp2 does. that suggests the money you pay extra to be completely ignored by f1 teams isn't worth spending.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 17:43 (Ref:3003272)   #187
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I've little sympathy for GP2 if this is the first of a number of teams to drop out. GP2 "Asia" was obviously a stretch for the teams, and now those flyaways are incorporated into the main series... surely the rich and talentless like Leal and Richelmi will be increasing in proportion? F.Renault 3.5 now looks a much more attractive series for drivers and the likes of Red Bull.
I agree I think the organisers of GP2 will shot themselves in the foot with this idea of a Global series. I don't know if we'll see more teams go under, well maybe not this year, but I do think we'll see fewer talented drivers, and if drivers and sponsors see drivers more drivers progressing to F1 from the Renualt 3.5 series then they'll spend thier money there.

What is the budget for Formula Renault 3.5 now?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 18:43 (Ref:3003290)   #188
formula_fan
Racer

I agree money in motorsport is becoming far too important and stopping a number of exciting talents getting to F1.

GP2 still has announced some good drivers this year though, Gutierrez, Calado, Ericsson. Ceccon and Melker have potential as well. I think the line up so far is much stronger than FR3.5. We will have to wait and see who else is in each series though as the off season develops.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 19:12 (Ref:3003301)   #189
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_fan View Post
I think the line up so far is much stronger than FR3.5. We will have to wait and see who else is in each series though as the off season develops.
Er, not unless you've been reading a different FR3.5 list to me it isn't.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:3003312)   #190
formula_fan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Er, not unless you've been reading a different FR3.5 list to me it isn't.
Struggle to see that unless you consider Williamson, Magnussen and Huertas are better than Gutierrez, Calado and Ericsson?

Am I missing something?
Old 22 Dec 2011, 19:53 (Ref:3003324)   #191
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by medler View Post
What is the budget for Formula Renault 3.5 now?
the organisers said it would be around €600-800,000. it'd be interesting to know how close to reality that is.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 22:19 (Ref:3003387)   #192
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Struggle to see that unless you consider Williamson, Magnussen and Huertas are better than Gutierrez, Calado and Ericsson?

Am I missing something?
3 very good drivers in each that would grace either grid. Kevin and Williamson are both very much coming men and I don't see the 3 you mention as being any better, even though I quite rate Marcus.

Where 3.5 scores better imo, is the depth, compare last years 2 series and GP2 had some appalling quality once you moved outside the top 8 drivers or so.

I reckon 3.5 will have the better field in 2012 for definite.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 12:00 (Ref:3003524)   #193
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jolyon Palmer to iSport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96828
Old 23 Dec 2011, 13:58 (Ref:3003554)   #194
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Another rich (father) but talentless driver for GP2.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 14:34 (Ref:3003569)   #195
formula_fan
Racer

I think some people on here may need a bit of a reality check when it comes to talented drivers.

I agree that Williamson and Magnussen have good potential but to say they currently have the same ability as any of the GP2 drivers I listed is laughable. Williamson was 8th in GP3 this year, Calado 2nd and Melker 3rd. Gutierrez was champion the year before. Huertas being a distant 3rd in F3 in his 3rd year in the series and in easily the top team is a good result but hardly that impressive.

People like Ceccon, who won Auto GP in his first season at only 18 and Palmer who was runner up in F2 last year and finished 4th in the GP2 finals this year at 20 may not have gone the conventional route but to say they are talentless is ridiculous.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 18:06 (Ref:3003638)   #196
Zen
Rookie

Australia
Bicester
People like Ceccon, who won Auto GP in his first season at only 18 and Palmer who was runner up in F2 last year and finished 4th in the GP2 finals this year at 20 may not have gone the conventional route but to say they are talentless is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Jolyon Palmer finished GP2 2011 in 28th and the last position of drivers that completed all rounds, scoring Zero points ....ridiculous?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 19:15 (Ref:3003660)   #197
formula_fan
Racer

Admittedly he had a very poor year this year. Having one bad season in GP2 doesn't mean someone is a talentless driver in my opinion considering they are compared to most of the best drivers outside of F1. He had a poor season in his first year in F2 and the next year went on to finish 2nd. I also think Arden weren't the best team to be with last year, as soon as he jumped into a proven quick car he was on the podium.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 19:24 (Ref:3003667)   #198
Brioche
Rookie

France
Saint Malo
Brioche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although ''ridiculous'' is a bit harsh, i agree that he's very far from being considered even a decent prospect. It's clear that it was entirely an economic decision, and it's also clear that iSport is running with just 1 car next year and putting all their hopes on Ericsson.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 20:12 (Ref:3003687)   #199
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Am I missing something?
No, spot on with what you say. Sure the FR3.5 line up will improve in time when hopefully it attracts a few stars but whatever anyone says about the rediculous GP2 budgets and logistics etc etc,( all true) its still by far the best place to be for the best drivers.Lets be honest, if the budgets were the same as FR3.5, GP2 would be fully subscribed by now.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:01 (Ref:3003876)   #200
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
this gp2 vs fr3.5 thing is getting ridiculous. they both fulfil the same job - getting well-offf and well-connected drivers into f1. the cost varies, but let's see exactly how that affects the 2012 grids. pitch something too low and you get some pretty average drivers. pitch it too high and you don't get any of the talented, but unconnected guys.

right now, i'm looking forward to seeing both sets of drivers in action. i really hope calado is as competitive as he was at abu dhabi, and it'll be interesting to see how gutierrez handles year 2. and in turn, i guess, how sauber handles that.