Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3357728)   #51
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being that development is frozen they can't gain advantage thru throwing cubic euro/dollars at improving the performance of the car so why stop the works entries?
Old 24 Jan 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3357779)   #52
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Being that development is frozen they can't gain advantage thru throwing cubic euro/dollars at improving the performance of the car so why stop the works entries?
I agree. A lot of it is just about perception I think and potentially angering other entrants - even if they are on a level playing field.

As others have said if it's not a works entry in name it will be behind the scenes.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3357989)   #53
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And remember why the GT1 world champioship died? All privateers simply cannot afford global GT tour
Old 24 Jan 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3358049)   #54
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
But they're not saying they want to change the format or add rounds on silly circuits in countries where no-one's interested in racing, they're talking about joining the current series.

And whether it's Aston Martin Racing or Kinfaun-AMR (raced in BGT by an AMR director), if they want to they'll enter.

Good to see them near-confirm N24 return too.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 06:50 (Ref:3359371)   #55
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
If he wants to be annoyed about 'works' teams, he should probably also throw a fit about the WRT Audis, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
And most of the Nissan's.
Yeah this is why dont understand his reluctance to let 'works teams' in the championship. They're already there! You can call the Aston entry Ten Tenths AMR for all I call , it doesnt change the fact that they are works teams. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted......
Old 26 Jan 2014, 14:06 (Ref:3359637)   #56
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, let them call it 10/10 AMR and they can join.
I think its more a signal to the privateer teams to keep them from disappearing
Old 26 Jan 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3360175)   #57
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder whether it's really that he doesn't like the appearance of a top team, factory or otherwise, dropping in for one race and running at the front or winning, rather than entering the full series? They should have the decency to run half the series and win the championship anyway.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3361147)   #58
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Now THAT idea I like. The issue he's got is that a LOT of "works" teams will only want to run in, and win, the Spa 24 Hours. But then he's always got a large grid for that? Of course, it helps having 2 pit lanes!
But I would support the idea of a minimum number of rounds if you want to run at Spa. Then again, Blancpain is pretty full already?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3361227)   #59
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Kicking out semi-works teams is the worst idea Ratel could think.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3361235)   #60
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During 2011-2013 seasons WRT has been clearly the audi official team and none complained about work team presence in BES, now everyone is losing their minds for the AMR official team . Don't forget also that in 2011 and 2012 audi ran the 24 hours of spa with 2 different official teams.
In my opinion would be amazing to see also team manthey, AF Corse and BMW team schubert in pro class, now that MVDS left the series.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3361238)   #61
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Let's see what Ratel says. Last year after Spa he was upset with the presence of works teams, the Silverstone Aston Martin and the Manthey Porsche at Spa.
I think Ratel is against one-off entries, but not against full season entries from works teams. Don't forget a lot of teams in the PRO class are semi-works or factory suported teams. WRT by Audi, MarcVDS by BMW, Hexis by McLaren. The only difference will be between AMR and for example WRT is that AMR has more resources. Budget will be the same. WRT aswell as AMR need to find budget. No budget = no racing. WRT gets drivers from Audi, AMR uses their own drivers, etc.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3361246)   #62
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
WRT by Audi, MarcVDS by BMW, Hexis by McLaren. The only difference will be between AMR and for example WRT is that AMR has more resources.
Is not so simple. Excluding Martin none else in the two full season cars was a BMW factory driver (and Martin became a BMW factory after his impressive performances driving for MVDS), only the third car at 24H of spa had 2 BMW factory drivers. Actually I'm sure that is WRT that has endless resources with cars, factory drivers, personnel and engineers supplied by audi sport
Old 28 Jan 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3361335)   #63
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loeb switching to Audi wants to try BES:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112316
Old 29 Jan 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3361490)   #64
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite a blow for McLaren with arguably its two highest-profile teams going away in Loeb and Hexis.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3361542)   #65
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, would say that it's Audi/WRT which is the closest - to - work - squad, judging from last years Spa appearance in terms of paddock appearance alone (number of trucks, hospitallity, staffing, Works - Audi - geared up personnel etc.). And yes, still if normalized to the number of cars on grid per team.

Regarding the Mclarens...it's not a successfull racecar, is it? Not reliable, not extraordinary quick, probably with no easy maintenance, too, poor support, expensive? (The latter being speculations, though)
-> There are better packages out there?
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:08 (Ref:3361545)   #66
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Australian team Lago Racing (who's owner driver is a TenTenths member) have entered their Gallardo for Spa. Drivers consist of regular drivers Roger Lago and Dave Russell along with ex V8 Supercar drivers Steve Owen and Steve Richards.

Great to see an Aussie team going to Spa again. Hope they do well
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3361557)   #67
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
Regarding the Mclarens...it's not a successfull racecar, is it? Not reliable, not extraordinary quick, probably with no easy maintenance, too, poor support, expensive? (The latter being speculations, though)
-> There are better packages out there?
Only problem seems to be the reliability, when it works it's a rocket as shown by it's success in 2012 and being up the front (when it works) in the BES and GT World last year. New car, whole new mfger behind it, not surprised it's still got some troubles.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3361682)   #68
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. When it works, whether in the hands of Dusseldurp, Loeb or Alvaro Parente, MP4 GT3 is super quick. But every pit stop it just looks like to be in the shape of retiring
Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3361731)   #69
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I've always gotten the impression that it's a quick car for pros, but very rigid and hard to drive at the limit which makes it difficult for someone for whom driving is not a career. Could be wrong.

It's very pretty though, glad to see Ojjeh back in a Boutsen one.

I hope there's a pro entry for Estre next year, he was epic in Baku.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3361736)   #70
carbon_titanium
Veteran

Extremely unreliable, definitively the worst car for a 24 hours race. Only 3 teams in the world obtained good results: hexis racing, bhai thec and partially loeb team. If I was a GT3 team owner I would like to have a pair of SLS GT3 for endurance races and a pair of Z4 GT3 for sprint races.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3361739)   #71
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
Extremely unreliable, definitively the worst car for a 24 hours race. Only 3 teams in the world obtained good results: hexis racing, bhai thec and partially loeb team. If I was a GT3 team owner I would like to have a pair of SLS GT3 for endurance races and a pair of Z4 GT3 for sprint races.
ART weren't looking all that bad either...
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3361744)   #72
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
ART and Gulf pro cars both had good moments, Boutsen car streaked ahead at Monza before the series' slowest driver™ (possibly) took over. Verdonck was fantastic at Spa in 2012 before being taken out. Plenty of good performances and results, but I wonder how many are in 'am' classes (I struggle to class Demoustier as a true 'am').

Monza suits the car it seems, although in a BoP series that may be a sign of a poor handling car (compensated with higher power allowances)
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3361745)   #73
carbon_titanium
Veteran

Ok, only 4 teams in the world obtained good results: hexis racing (that has been dismissed), bhai thec, loeb team (that left mclaren, switching for audi R8 LMS) and ART racing. Forgot to write that if I was a GT3 team owner, surely I could buy also one or two 458 GT3 to make money with gentlemen drivers rides.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3361796)   #74
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I forgot that United Autosports binned off their McLarens this year too.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3361837)   #75
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry, seems that Bentley and AM will take the place of Mclaren perfectly, regarding to British Automotive in the BES and SPA 24 in 2014.