Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Dec 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3341112)   #51
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Regardless of the Spanish politics, I think this is a better slate of venues for 2014 than we had in 2013. I'd place Zolder and Navarra about even in my estimation, with Zolder having the nicer surroundings. However, adding Algarve and Brands Hatch is a definite improvement to the calendar.

If I was going to pick a Spanish venue for this series, I'd probably go with Jarama, unless they could get away with not running the chicanes at Jerez or Aragon.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3341246)   #52
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Racing at Belgium is cheaper than at Spain for most teams, I guess.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3341322)   #53
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Regardless of the Spanish politics, I think this is a better slate of venues for 2014 than we had in 2013. I'd place Zolder and Navarra about even in my estimation, with Zolder having the nicer surroundings. However, adding Algarve and Brands Hatch is a definite improvement to the calendar.

If I was going to pick a Spanish venue for this series, I'd probably go with Jarama, unless they could get away with not running the chicanes at Jerez or Aragon.
Jarama has noise pollution problems. It's stupid because the track was there first. Jarama needs also to upgrade their facilities because is like going back to the early 80s. There are plans but I don't know if they have secured the funding. There were also plans to close it, sell the land (housing bubble happy years) and build a new track in South Madrid. Fortunately those plans never came off because similar plans (New Valencia Stadium for example) have been a financial disaster.

One of the problems with Spanish tracks is the layout. As motorcycling is very strong in Spain, they are designed with the bikes in mind resulting in twisty and narrow tracks, quite boring for autos.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 04:42 (Ref:3342245)   #54
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Twisty? Yes. Narrow? No.

They're certainly no narrower than a number of the American road courses, or Suzuka, once you get away from the starting grid.

Also, a sinuous circuit isn't inherently bad by any means. Just have a look at Potrero de los Funes in Argentina.

I wouldn't run the GTs at Valencia, or the re-worked Estoril. Catalunya just seems too big in some ways for all but the most powerful and downforce-laden cars. Also, I don't care for those two more angular corners at the end of the back stretch, or the chicane before the final corner. Considering that the MotoGP bikes use the former F1 layout, it's definitely safe enough for the cars.

Navarra has some interesting points, but I find it a bit too fiddly. Also, the circuit could do with a greater apparent variety of corner combinations.

I think Aragon could be decent. It's not so tight, and is plenty wide. It's one of Tilke's better efforts, I would say, with some nice, quick corners, and a fair bit of elevation change. I just don't like to see it used with that chicane in the middle of the back stretch, which is the same issue I have with Paul Ricard; I just don't see the point of running the full course at Le Castellet if you're going to interrupt the Mistral Straight.

I think Jerez is alright. There are a decent number of fast turns there, and a few long-ish straights. However, that chicane spoils one of those high-speed sections, and again, since MotoGP is willing to use the original corner, you really can't claim that it's too dangerous for the cars to utilize as well. (Frankly, if it's possible for the seat to be ejected from an F1 car, you've got some bigger issues that NEED addressing BEFORE you start screwing with the track.)

Jarama, with that extension since the F1 days, is quite a nice length. It has several high-speed corners. Most of the original turns are banked, and coupled with the corner combinations, this leads to a good variety of potential lines around much of the circuit. Overtaking can be difficult, but can also be a lot of fun, and a lot of fun to watch. (I've just been watching the FIA GT3 races from Jarama back in 2010.)
Old 10 Dec 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3342352)   #55
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Also, a sinuous circuit isn't inherently bad by any means. Just have a look at Potrero de los Funes in Argentina.
But it has several long straights. Except for Montmeló and Barcelona, most Spanish circuits don't. Jerez and Jarama are very tight.

Montmeló's chicane is ridiculous and a disgrace.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3343283)   #56
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New BSS-Blog

I'd like to make this website about BSS known here:
http://gtsprintseries.wordpress.com/

During the off-season, there will updates on driver line-ups (provisinal entry list for seires debut!) and other developments. Not much yet; but it'll grow.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3348374)   #57
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/blancpain/bs...rghini-effort/

Grasser Racing Team to run 2 Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 FL2s
Old 28 Dec 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3348418)   #58
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+ The confirmed Reiter entry with Kox and HAyek. Minimum three lambos at BSS.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3348474)   #59
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe there will be bonus points or special trophy for Kox/Hayek since the latter is the CEO of Blancpain, the major sponsor
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3348548)   #60
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Maybe there will be bonus points or special trophy for Kox/Hayek since the latter is the CEO of Blancpain, the major sponsor
He must have more time for racing according BSS has three or four rounds more than the BES they raced last year.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3348576)   #61
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
But it has several long straights. Except for Montmeló and Barcelona, most Spanish circuits don't. Jerez and Jarama are very tight.
I don't think I can even think of a single proper Spanish circuit that doesn't have a long straight.

Jerez certainly does and is anything but tight.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3348712)   #62
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I meant "except for Barcelona and Aragón".

In 1997, the average speed for the F1 pole was 196 km/h at Jerez and 192 km/h at Hungaroring, much slower than Magny-Cours and Nürburgring.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3351492)   #63
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Interestingly, ROAL will participate with 2 BMW Z4´s in the full Blancpain GT Series (Sprint + Endurance). Expecting more teams to follow, Sprint series could see a much expanded grid this year.

See https://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=20530
Old 8 Jan 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3351698)   #64
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Interview with Ratel at DSC:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=20193

BSS:

“It isn’t really an expansion, it’s more of a rebalance because I had clearly got too many competitors in the Blancpain Endurance Series and not really enough in the sprint Series. It (the Sprint Series) did well last year but it was still a bit fragile.

"Ideally I need to take ten cars from Blancpain Endurance and put them in Sprint and I think it will happen because a sad part of our business is that every time you create something successful you end up with too many losers and not enough winners and, inevitably, the losers always look for another platform to shine.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3351810)   #65
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
I agree with convergence as long as everything converges from GT3, it’s very simple.
GT3 is a great rules pack for national championships. But to compete with football, F1, NBA and NFL, you need more than that. I believe that the GT+ rules should be equalized with LMP2, not below LMPC.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3351812)   #66
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
My task at SRO is to make sure that GT3 remains what it is and that any new regulations should be based on something that has had amazing success and continues to do so.

“In 2014 for instance we have the addition of a brand as special as Bentley, a returning Viper, an announced project from Corvette and with all of the existing manufacturers working on their next models, the last thing that is needed is disturbance!
Quote:
The worst year I had was 16-17 cars in one class and WEC has four classes with 5 cars, 8 cars, 6 cars, 8 cars, a series of micro Championships with a micro fight in each. 50% of the participants are on the podium to give them enough sugar that they continue spending a LOT of money to be part of this platform. It’s not easy.

Currently we are getting press releases from some [ELMS] teams who are celebrating finishing second when there are only really three cars. I mean that is an offence to motorsport. To win any class in the Blancpain Series you have to beat what, 15, 20 cars, more!
Now that's something I agree.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3351971)   #67
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
The worst year I had was 16-17 cars in one class and WEC has four classes with 5 cars, 8 cars, 6 cars, 8 cars, a series of micro Championships with a micro fight in each. 50% of the participants are on the podium to give them enough sugar that they continue spending a LOT of money to be part of this platform. It’s not easy.
[QUOTE]

In factory efforts, low grids is normal to WEC and world champs, but anyway there could be more competitors if the costs weren't so high.

WEC GT class is truly dead. For the incoming GT+ classes the only thing is clear is that a "Taliban" cost control management is needed for a class success like GT3 has achieved. And the platform base structure must be cheap enough for privateeers.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3351982)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
(Taliban = radical)
Old 9 Jan 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3352042)   #69
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
(Taliban = radical)
Yeah, some kind of exaggeration, but all of this works if (because of) the costs are maintained.

Insight Racing doing sprints:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BLANCPAIN-GT-SERIES/313595548658254?ref=stream

"entering a Ferrari 458 Italia"

Don't take much atention to the post itself, seems the one posting on FB doesn't have much idea..., saying "Blancpain endurance GT" at the Sprint series fb page.

As long as the post is in the Sprints page and the endurance one shares through the sprint page, seems the car will do the two sprint races champ.

Edit: Not so much clear, i'm not sure what they are doing according to the BES page post:

http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/n...-458-italia-gt

Why the hell don't they share where they are racing....

Last edited by urdragon; 9 Jan 2014 at 13:58.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3352048)   #70
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Urdragon, Blancpain GT series is the Endurance and Sprint (former FIA GT) series under one umbrella.

Insight racing with Flexbox will be focusing on the Blancpain Endurance Series (BES) I believe, just like they did the last 2 years.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3352093)   #71
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Urdragon, Blancpain GT series is the Endurance and Sprint (former FIA GT) series under one umbrella.

Insight racing with Flexbox will be focusing on the Blancpain Endurance Series (BES) I believe, just like they did the last 2 years.
Beside Insight did the endurance series, and it's logically to continue.

Mainly 99% of us are interested to see what champ do they list in, no some sort of promotion like Insight is Racing in Ratels European series again, is not too much media useful, In summary: Nothing new. (except maybe for their corporation internal media), they just shared nothing new.... Or nothing in particular, because they don't say where.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3355215)   #72
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/gt/estre-nam...actory-driver/

Good to see Kevin Estre moving up with Mclaren
Old 18 Jan 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3355568)   #73
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Isn't that with many tracks and events in Spain? For many years local and regional governments have funded building tracks and hosting events but now with empty pockets (or no subsidy from the EU ) that has come to and end.
One of the biggest problems, much, much, much bigger than the crissis is the spanish autorsport federation (or federations because there are too many). Portugal crissis was the same of us or even bigger and they keep a decent motorsport activity.

We have an HUGE sport structural problem in Spain, in most of the countries the championship and race organizations usually comes from autoclubs (people who really loves races). In Spain everything is controled by regional or national motorsport federations, and those federations are controled by politicians or something close to a politician (and you know what happends with politicians...).

Now you know why spanish autosport has been collapsed.

On motorcycling things are VERY different, there are federations (they works harder than the autosport ones) but there also motorcycling clubs and big private organizations like DORNA.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3355579)   #74
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...so the current teams we have are:

-Boutsen Ginion Racing (probably)
-Bhai Tech Racing (likely)
-Emil Frey Racing ??? (i´m not sure if they will go to the sprint, the endurance or both series)
-Grasser Racing Team 2 lambos
-Kox 1 lambo
-Leipert Motorspor (lambo)
-ROAL 2x bmw (probably)

I´m sure that we eill see any AF Corse or SMP Racing, but no one said anything
Old 18 Jan 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3355613)   #75
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
...so the current teams we have are:

-Boutsen Ginion Racing (probably)
-Bhai Tech Racing (likely)
-Emil Frey Racing ??? (i´m not sure if they will go to the sprint, the endurance or both series)
-Grasser Racing Team 2 lambos
-Kox 1 lambo
-Leipert Motorspor (lambo)
-ROAL 2x bmw (probably)

I´m sure that we eill see any AF Corse or SMP Racing, but no one said anything
Emil Frey Racing and Boutsen Ginion Racing usually do Endurance, but who knows.

Good to see so many lambos.