Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Pick the champions!
Audi Sport Team Joest 79 50.32%
Toyota Racing 42 26.75%
Porsche 31 19.75%
Rebellion Racing 2 1.27%
OAK Racing 1 0.64%
The other guys... 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Dec 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3345613)   #51
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
My vote is get rid of the year old car rule. If the rule was put in place to keep costs down, the ACO shouldn't have allowed teams to buy new cars and convert back to an older spec - that is a waste. They have also allowed updates to cars (Astons) in the class for various reasons, so just simplify things by allowing new machinery.
I agree 100%. If a now irrelevant rule is keeping a longtime competitor like Larbre from running in an ACO-sanctioned series, then I find it unnecessary. A bit of an ignorant decision to go forward with it, IMO.

Whatever the case, I'm glad Larbre is still up and running and still ambitious!
Old 19 Dec 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3345817)   #52
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
But the reason for scratching was budget... and despite shifting focus on 2014 like Audi, because of the budget, they're still like inherently disadvantaged.
No one knows what their 2014- budget is. You cant say they're disadvantaged even if they dont spend as much. The team that spends the most doesn't always win the most.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3345843)   #53
LMP1
Rookie

LMP1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No one knows what their 2014- budget is. You cant say they're disadvantaged even if they dont spend as much. The team that spends the most doesn't always win the most.
As Toyota well know from their attempt at F1!

They are quite plucky in WEC considering the perception that they spend considerably less than Audi. 5 wins is not bad at all.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3345895)   #54
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It would violate one of the key rules of GT-AM though. As much as I like Labre, the ACO can't really allow it.

They can always choose to race in GT-Pro.
I suspect that they will if the teams involved request it. I can imagine that Ram, AMR and AF Corse wouldn't mind a huge amount. Same rule currently exists in the ELMS though, and I think that that would be a bigger hurdle to overcome.
Old 19 Dec 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3345987)   #55
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No one knows what their 2014- budget is.
I meant 2014 preparation made during this year.

Quote:
You cant say they're disadvantaged even if they dont spend as much.
Is it an advantage then?

Quote:
The team that spends the most doesn't always win the most.
True, but so is this: a team that can not field a 2nd car all the time does not have an adequate budget. We'll see if the boardroom in Japan has finally woken up.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 06:09 (Ref:3346207)   #56
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
True, but so is this: a team that can not field a 2nd car all the time does not have an adequate budget. We'll see if the boardroom in Japan has finally woken up.

"Adequate budget" is very relative. I don't think their brief hiatus earlier this year was a matter of budget, more a matter of personnel, or lack thereof.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3346213)   #57
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

"Adequate budget" is very relative. I don't think their brief hiatus earlier this year was a matter of budget, more a matter of personnel, or lack thereof.
In this case I'd say budget is adequate when it does not considerably affect normal racing activies while working on next year's car. People have made this sound like they were somehow taken by surprise that year 2014 is actually coming. If it is simply about number of people, you'd think a higher budget might help with that...
Old 20 Dec 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3346245)   #58
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They hired another driver. Their site says there are job openings. If its up to TMG to run it, and theyre using their own budget, it looks like they have more to spend. From all the interviews, 2 cars all year in 2014 is the expectation. No reason for Conway to join if they don't have a car for him to drive. They already have Andrea Caldarelli as well. One more driver signing and youll hear rumors start of 3 cars at LeMans.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3346342)   #59
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/gi...p-for-daytona/
Stefan Johansson likely to join Delta-ADR in the WEC next year
Old 20 Dec 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3346345)   #60
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Some changes for '14 WEC--LMP1 manufacturer teams' entry fee has gone up from 300K euros to 360K euros, and GTE-Pro manufacturer teams fee has gone up from 100K euros to 130K euros.

Also, a type of "code 60" local yellow will be used at least at Le Mans, where racing will be allowed except for the area where the local yellow is located, where drives must slow to 60 km/h until they exit the zone.

And some "pass-around" procedure will also be used for WEC event's next year.

Details are kinda sketchy on all of this, since I got the info from John Dagys' Twitter and Mulsanne's Corner Facebook.
Old 20 Dec 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3346391)   #61
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/gi...p-for-daytona/
Stefan Johansson likely to join Delta-ADR in the WEC next year
I hate to say this but isn't he a bit... old?
Old 20 Dec 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3346392)   #62
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Probably taking advantage of that very fact--after age 50 IIRC, a driver gets demoted a medal rating every 5 years...
Old 20 Dec 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3346446)   #63
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Old indeed, and if it's mooted as a replacement for Mike Conway I suspect there's not likely to be the same fireworks, but 31 years at something approaching the top level in sportscars? Now that's something to admire.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3346476)   #64
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linkƶping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps Stefan is intended to be the Silver driver for the other car? I hope so anyway. Those would be two very quick Silvers in the scheme of things.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3346485)   #65
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He'll race for free plus expenses. Loves to drive. Probably just see a couple of stickers from his brands on the car.
http://www.stefanjohansson.com
Old 21 Dec 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3346487)   #66
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if someone has picked this up already and im not sure this belongs in a 2014 WEC thread. But........

Reading autosport's review on the garage 56 entry for 2014 the Nissan ZEOD this week, it mentions that:
"A condition of the 2014 Garage 56 entry is that a full blown works Nissan entry follows in 2015"

Now thats music to my ears.

If we can reach four LMP1 manufacturers by 2015 and with Ferrari, Honda and Renault looking at LMP1 programmes, hopefully endurance racing can regain the status in world motorsport it deserves.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3346497)   #67
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We'll have to wait and see; remember an old guy that successfully raced sports cars named PL Newman?

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 21 Dec 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3346500)   #68
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linkƶping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Reading autosport's review on the garage 56 entry for 2014 the Nissan ZEOD this week, it mentions that:
"A condition of the 2014 Garage 56 entry is that a full blown works Nissan entry follows in 2015"
We needn't go into the challenges of a 'post-condition' for entry. I suppose it would probably make the ACO pretty wary about Nissan for a while if they renege, but otherwise it'll be a little late to rescind their entry for a race that has already happened!
Old 21 Dec 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3346531)   #69
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Perhaps Stefan is intended to be the Silver driver for the other car? I hope so anyway. Those would be two very quick Silvers in the scheme of things.
That's a fair point, although the way many of the articles have been covering it suggests Johansson and Giroix will race in the same car. I can't see much of a point because you'll still have to add at least one other silver driver to the other car. I hope it turns out like you say.

Quote:
Not sure if someone has picked this up already and im not sure this belongs in a 2014 WEC thread. But........

If we can reach four LMP1 manufacturers by 2015 and with Ferrari, Honda and Renault looking at LMP1 programmes, hopefully endurance racing can regain the status in world motorsport it deserves.
At this point the Nissan LMP1 program is somewhat common knowledge, at least in the inner ring of sportscar fanatics!

I hope sportscar racing can rise up above Formula 1... I think I speak for most everyone on the forum when I say it's far more interesting, in these days, at least.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3346536)   #70
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I hope sportscar racing can rise up above Formula 1... I think I speak for most everyone on the forum when I say it's far more interesting, in these days, at least.
I actually see more drawbacks than advantages if sportscar racing became as popular (or more popular) than F1. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3346544)   #71
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Goes back to the time-old discussion about manufacturers in racing. It's cyclical.

There are people on here who genuinely don't want to see another scenario like 1991 or 1999. Because that many manufacturers can't last.

I'd rather see two years of absolute booming sportscar racing and see it fall apart than keep grinding away with what we've had the past few years. Even if it all goes south we'll still probably have a season equivalent to 2012.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3346573)   #72
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like manufacturers and money are returning to motoracing at the moment:

Porsche & Nissan in Sportscars, not to mention Mazda and SRT(Viper) in the US, more good privateer linkups too. ORECA and Rebellion, Dome and Strakka, more input from OAK in LMP1 and new LMP2 vehicles available.

Volkswagen, Hyundai and Toyota in WRC.

Honda and Citroen in WTCC.

BMW in DTM.

Nissan & Volvo in V8SC

The only manufacturer casualty i can think of this year at the moment is Lotus, but they overstretched themselves and were "branding" rather than manufacturer exercises.

Of course this manufacturer interest is not necessarily a good thing and of course will be cyclical.

But to be honest im happy too see a few years good racing, happy with the general trend and most of all happy F1 isnt acting as a black hole for racing money and talent for once.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3346577)   #73
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope FIA no longer repeat what they did to the old Group C
Old 21 Dec 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3346609)   #74
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
We needn't go into the challenges of a 'post-condition' for entry. I suppose it would probably make the ACO pretty wary about Nissan for a while if they renege, but otherwise it'll be a little late to rescind their entry for a race that has already happened!
They could declassify them...oh, wait
Old 21 Dec 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3346631)   #75
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:

What review you mean? Printed magazine? If yes, what week/page? That condition makes no sense on several levels, as pointed above plus ACO can not automatically accept Nissan's outside-the-rules concept (referred in the recent interview). Even if it is true and not a bit like a tongue in cheek, such agreement would be a worth toilet paper.