Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:30 (Ref:919169)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buying a car thru private sale

what sort of paperwork should i be expect to be handed over during a private purchase of a car (ie, i'm guessing something to do with MOT would be one...)?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 14:51 (Ref:919184)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The most important document is the vehicle registration document (V5??) commonly referred to as the logbook - this lets the DVLA know who the legal owner for the car is.

You'll also need the MOT certificate from the seller (to get tax you need MOT, logbook and certificate of insurance).
Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:41 (Ref:919212)   #3
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
i received the seller's registratin details for the car, promptly ran it thru a data check on www.carwatchuk.com, and it came back with:

Date: 20020604
Description: XXXXXXXXXXX
Reg No: XXXXXXX
VIN No:
Category: Vehicle is recorded as STOLEN/RECOVERED. It could be subject to a Total Loss Claim. For further information please contact the helpline.

should i be worried? what should i do?
Old 25 Mar 2004, 15:48 (Ref:919217)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
You might have trouble getting insurance cover on a stolen / recovered car (insurance companies don't like paying out twice on the same vehicle - it's possible the original owner was paid out for this vehicle when it was stolen).

As a basic rule it's not worth the risk of buying a stolen/recovered car unless it's outragously cheap, if it was me I wouldn't bother - there's plenty of 'clean' cars out there for sensible money.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 16:24 (Ref:919242)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
The most important document is the vehicle registration document (V5??) commonly referred to as the logbook - this lets the DVLA know who the legal owner for the car is.
Ths V5 does NOT let the DVLA know who the legal owner is!!!! The name on the V5 is the REGISTERED KEEPER. It states clearly on the V5 that 'the registered keeper is not necessarily the vehicle's legal owner'. A V5 should never be taken as proof of ownership.

To answer the original question, although it does not prove ownership, the seller should have the V5. Check that the address on the V5 is the same as the address you have for the owner - if it's different, why? If it's not registered in the seller's name, be wary - is he a genuine private seller or a dealer posing as a private seller? The seller should also be able to show you a receipt for his purchase of the car. As well as the current MoT, previous MoT's are useful, as they help verify recorded mileage.

In the case of a stolen/recovered vehicle, it may not even have been damaged, it may just have required new door locks.......if you don't know exactly what happened to it, it's a risky purchase.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 25 Mar 2004 at 16:25.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 16:30 (Ref:919248)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
Ths V5 does NOT let the DVLA know who the legal owner is!!!! The name on the V5 is the REGISTERED KEEPER. It states clearly on the V5 that 'the registered keeper is not necessarily the vehicle's legal owner'.
Yeah - registered keeper, that's what I meant
Old 27 Mar 2004, 16:52 (Ref:921363)   #7
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
it appears the car (which has done 18,000 miles) has not yet had a service. can anyone recommend a someone reputable for a major service within (east) London?
Old 28 Mar 2004, 23:23 (Ref:922375)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir
it appears the car (which has done 18,000 miles) has not yet had a service. can anyone recommend a someone reputable for a major service within (east) London?
Ask Ten-Tenths poster 'oily oaf'. He is in East London.

Note: Hope you don't mind oily!
Old 30 Mar 2004, 10:11 (Ref:923767)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He said "reputable"...

Seriously mjolnir, it's stolen/recovered and hasn't been serviced for 18k. Two words:

RUN AWAY!

Whatever it is it can't be so special that there isn't a better example somewhere. Either that or it's something you were expecting to be beyond your budget until this one turned up - if the price of a car is too good to be true, then it's too good to be true!!
Old 30 Mar 2004, 15:26 (Ref:924084)   #10
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
well, i've been taken around in it... after a quick inspection, it looks and sounds fine, as do the papers... it IS a good £1000 off the recommended price on parkers.com...
Old 30 Mar 2004, 16:24 (Ref:924163)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you find out any more details on its stolen/recovered status? Any chance of speaking to the former owner?

Given that it's had no service in 18k, I'd get a detailed professional inspection, similar to that provided by the AA and RAC in the UK for around £150 (a few hundred dollars aus).

It does kind of break most of the rules, but if the papers are ok and an inspection comes up ok you might have a bargain - remember though that stolen/recovered flag and lack of service hostory are likely to hit its value come resale time.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 18:13 (Ref:924297)   #12
egomeister
Rookie

egomeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mjolnir
well, i've been taken around in it... after a quick inspection, it looks and sounds fine, as do the papers... it IS a good £1000 off the recommended price on parkers.com...
£1000 off what price? All cars subject to a total loss claim are worth significantly less as they are so much harder to sell on, even if there is nothing wrong with the car itself.

To be honest I would be very wary of buying any car with such a mark on its history unless I knew the exact circumstances of the claim made against it. I personally wouldn't risk the trouble that could be caused if there was something wrong with it.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 13:11 (Ref:939425)   #13
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah agreed it sounds a bit moody to me. Don't buy a recovery motor private is my motto. I sometimes buy the odd salvage job from dealers who can supply me with an HPI check so that I can fix it up and flog it safe in the knowledge that I'm not stitching any one up. Did the vendor tell u it was a stolen motor? If not u have to ask yourself why. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here Mjolnir but I'd look elsewhere if I were u mate.

As for GARCON how dare u cast aspersions on my spotless reputation Sirrah. I'll meet u at dawn with my second and choice of weapons on Hackney Marsh. Be there promptly u scoundrel or by the Lord Harry I'll know the reason why.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:35 (Ref:940211)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
So? Where were you, Oily?? I was there a-waiting, ready armed with me blade encrusted rolling pin...
Old 15 Apr 2004, 13:18 (Ref:940445)   #15
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
So? Where were you, Oily?? I was there a-waiting, ready armed with me blade encrusted rolling pin...
Sorry mate. I got a terrible pasting from my second for waking him up at that hour of the day. Doh
Old 19 Apr 2004, 14:18 (Ref:944205)   #16
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RUN AWAY mate you are going to get stiched up big time.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 16:24 (Ref:944347)   #17
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
well, car's in for a service... seems i've been lucky, a few minor things (middle rear brake light, wipers, gear stick rubber being split... the most expensive being the rear seatbelt lights werent working - dont think i'll need that... but then the brake pads are apparently 98% worn!!!)...