Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1521001)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's new car time

I am thinking about changing my car, I have had my Clio for nearly 2 years now and I am thinking about changing it, maybe not right now but it in about 6 to 9 months time. I do nearly 300 miles a week to work and back so I am thinking about a diesel because in the long run I will save money.

But the question is what do I get, I want something bigger than my Clio. I don't like the new Focus they look really ugly and there is no way I am getting a Peugoet or a Citroën, I just don't like them. I don't like the Golf either, I have had a look at the new Seat Leon today and they basiclly the same car but look a lot better value for money. I really want an Audi A3 but they are just silly money.

So at the momment I am between 3 different cars - the new shape Seat Leon, as they are look pretty good value for money as I have already said, an Astra Sport Hatch, they are a bit sporty but on the face of things they are still particly and there is a diesel version. The only thing I am thing about is a Renault Magane, but I am still not sure about them.

Anyway what do you guys think?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1521023)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I'd go for the Ford ST220 as my daily and the Discovery V8 limited for "those important moments".

Is that the right answer?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1521140)   #3
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what you listed it would have to be the Leon, but what age are you thinking of?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1521174)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the new shape one, in fact a 1.9TDi.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1521191)   #5
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For value for money if you want a solid reliable albeit a bir boring may I suggest a Nissan Almera, purchased an March 05 1.5s with 8.5k on the clock for £6500 (including a £500 trade in) list price new £10,600 glad I never paid for all that depreciation in the 1st 9 months

I know it is boring but they dont break down and at that price it was a bargain (in my eyes)
Old 13 Feb 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1521628)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you are going diesel, you could do a lot worse than looking at a 2nd hand Volvo S60 or V70 powered by the D5 engine. Seems the best compromise between power and economy of the current diesel offerings.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1522218)   #7
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come September, I'll be on the looking out for one of these........

Masarati BiTurbo

I've wanted one of these for ages. They might not be the prettiest car on earth but there's something about them I like.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1522938)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I really want an Audi A3 but they are just silly money.
Why not go for a cheaper option - the Skoda Fabia VRS? My son used to have an A3 but got all his spare parts from the local Skoda dealer. Or, you could do what the plods round here are doing - they've got Skoda Octavia VRS's. And I can tell you from first hand experience that a diesel Skoda is very economical to run and is very reliable, which is what you need when you use it every day.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1522947)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RD, go for the Skoda Fabia VRs, An A3, better basic options and for 1/2 the price, but a lot more reliable - engine is practicably bulletproof.

I swear by mine.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1523153)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I know what you saying about the Skoda, you both like yours as does a lad at work, but I'm just not sure. If I was buying now then the favourite would be the Seat, but as I say I am going to wait for 6-9 month before doing anything, so I might have changed my mind by then......
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1523204)   #11
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know you don't like the new shape Focus, how about a late old shape one? I love mine...
Old 15 Feb 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1523369)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It might have an Audi badge, but the A3 is dull dull dull. You're just paying over the odds to be a badge snob frankly. Though interior fit & finish is more or less unbeatable.

I have a phobia of French cars, so I really couldn't bring myself to recommend a Megane, but the deal you'd get px'ing your Clio might make it too good to turn down. And the French do seem to be very good at diesel units. I know you said you don't like Peugeot/Citroen, but it might be worth looking at a C4, just for comparison if nothing else.

I'm not a Vauxhall fan either, but I've heard some good things about the Astra, and particularly the diesel. Fear the depreciation on a new one though!

Which leaves the Leon. I love its looks, they are great value for running costs as well as buying (Seat dealers tend to do alot of trade servicing other VAG groups cars cos they're free to set prices competitively).

I'd be looking at what's available new now with the view to buy it in 6/9 months time. Might even be worth talking to your local dealers about what demos they have coming in - could even get your name against one... if they're really good they might even let you spec colour etc if you commit to it.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1523442)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I'm not a Vauxhall fan either, but I've heard some good things about the Astra, and particularly the diesel. Fear the depreciation on a new one though!
My old man got a very good deal (approx half list price) on a six month old petrol engined Astra, as it seems most buyers are blinkered by the need to get a diesel.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 15:36 (Ref:1523455)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm looking along similar lines at the moment, my current car is a Peugeot 306 DTurbo and it's absolutely fantastic to drive but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now (135K mainly b-road miles and 2 front end smacks) so I've been looking for suitable replacements. Ideally I want something of a similar size with a nice punchy diesel engine and good handling. I've got the list down to:

Focus TDCI Sport
SEAT Leon TDI (old or new shape)
Skoda Fabia VRS
Skoda Octavia TDI

I wouldn't bother with an A3 as you're just paying for the snob factor, Golfs are the standard company car here so I don't really want one of them (although it would mean access to cheap parts ). I've also excluded French cars from my list - whilst I like my 306 I've hated every 206 and 307 I've driven, Citroens are a no go and Renaults are horrible and hugely unreliable.

Next time I have a week off I'm thinking of just going round the dealers and taking a couple off my list for a test drive to see what they go like.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1523558)   #15
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sold me on the Skoda was how good the dealership was, no push to but - hell the cars were selling themselves, the dealer didnt need to try!

Also the after sales care is something Skoda have a good reputation for, look at that too.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1523665)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
I'd be looking at what's available new now with the view to buy it in 6/9 months time. Might even be worth talking to your local dealers about what demos they have coming in - could even get your name against one... if they're really good they might even let you spec colour etc if you commit to it.
You read my mind that is exactly what I was going to do, as it stand at the momment the Leon leads, closely followed by the Astra Sport Hatch.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1524367)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SEAT's are great cars, mine has had no problems, the dealers are good and the resale will be better than a Skoda.

By the time you get yours, the 2nd hand market may be coming in with could increase your options.

You could even push the boat out and get a cupra old style Leon. These are amazing value now and in 6 months time will be well worth a look.

Don't rush into it, we will discuss it around the campfire in June!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1524533)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
We shall discuss this one in June Nordic. My little sister has a Ibiza, she has had it for about a year now and she is really happy with it.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1525396)   #19
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I said I wanted a Masarati BiTurbo, but I don't think I'll afford the parts and petrol after all that so I might just settle for a great British classic........

Just like this one
MGB GT