Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Nov 2016, 13:05 (Ref:3685485)   #126
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hardly think Gasly is in the same class as Vandoorne, it's dodgy move for him but what choice does he have, if he knuckles down and rises to the challenge then fair play to him, if i was a betting man i would say he will struggle though.
Old 5 Nov 2016, 13:15 (Ref:3685487)   #127
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
It's probably a move that will show Red Bull all they need - or want - to know.
Old 5 Nov 2016, 14:13 (Ref:3685496)   #128
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's an interesting question: is it better to keep racing in Super Formula, or spend 2017 as Red Bull's tester? I'm not sure we can draw many lessons from Vandoorne, as he was pretty much guaranteed that McLaren seat anyway, whereas Gasly has to prove that he's (at least) better than Sainz or Kvyat.
Old 5 Nov 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3685500)   #129
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well it's a question, do you go down the Palmer route (reserve driver for the year in the hope of then getting promoted) or the Vandoorne route (keep yourself race fit by racing in Japan)
Old 5 Nov 2016, 17:18 (Ref:3685549)   #130
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
... whereas Gasly has to prove that he's (at least) better than Sainz or Kvyat.
... or hope that someone leaves from Torro Rosso or the main team (to Ferrari in 2018?) and Red Bull have no other 'hot talent' in the wings.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3686173)   #131
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I think Palmer has done the proverbial Paul DiResta, and in spoilt-brat fashion has talked himself out of next years drive by moaning to the press about the team, a very taboo offence for a driver to commit........his comment about "renault dont value their drivers" will have done him no favors at all.......I think Palmers best options for next year are Manor, or if he is lucky Force India......failing that I can see his dad placing him in IndyCars like he did with Justin Wilson
Old 7 Nov 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3686199)   #132
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I must say I think Palmer has done the proverbial Paul DiResta, and in spoilt-brat fashion has talked himself out of next years drive by moaning to the press about the team, a very taboo offence for a driver to commit........his comment about "renault dont value their drivers" will have done him no favors at all.......I think Palmers best options for next year are Manor, or if he is lucky Force India......failing that I can see his dad placing him in IndyCars like he did with Justin Wilson
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised.

If he had set the world alight this year then maybe he might have a reason to go off on one but seeing as his form yo-yo'd he would be better just keeping his head down.

However, he has still done much better than I thought he would!
Old 7 Nov 2016, 15:11 (Ref:3686236)   #133
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised.

If he had set the world alight this year then maybe he might have a reason to go off on one but seeing as his form yo-yo'd he would be better just keeping his head down.

However, he has still done much better than I thought he would!
Seems like the rumor mill is saying Ocon has the Force India seat tied up.......in which case its Manor for Palmer.......whichever team he does go to, they all know he has a budget behind him, so they will expect Palmer Snr to cough up a minimum of 10 million dollars of funding.......but then so does Magnussen from Jack Jones

But perhaps Renault might realize there are more Renault cars to be sold in the UK, opposed to in Denmark (where Magnusson is from) so perhaps Palmer might get the nod on the basis of being English.....performance wise I really dont think there is much between them......both have been up and down in an essentially awful car with the handling of a boat
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3686253)   #134
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does Jonathan Palmer really have that kind of disposable cash?
Old 7 Nov 2016, 17:15 (Ref:3686255)   #135
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Well he had it for 2015/2016

Some of the sponsorship on the car comes from Palmer just as Jack & Jones pay for Magnussen
Old 7 Nov 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3686277)   #136
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A driver is hardly gonna produce his best though if he's not getting the backing from the team, that's the other side to it.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3686459)   #137
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
according to this he is worth 35 million dollars

http://www.celebritynetworth123.com/richest-athletes/jonathan-palmer-net-worth/

He is currently negotiating to buy Silverstone, to add to the other circuits that he already owns via Motor Sport Vision (MSV), which are Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton, Cadwel, Bedfrod autodrome, he also just bough an ex french military air-base that will soon be converted to a race tack.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/

There also seems to be some sort of link to Comma oils, I would not be surprised if JP is on the board of directors or some way involved as they are a big sponsor of his drivers.

http://www.commaoil.com/media/view/248/1/desc

http://www.commaoil.com/latestnews/view/131
Old 9 Nov 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3686710)   #138
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He is currently negotiating to buy Silverstone, to add to the other circuits that he already owns via Motor Sport Vision (MSV), which are Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton, Cadwel, Bedfrod autodrome, he also just bough an ex french military air-base that will soon be converted to a race tack.
Bedford Autodrome might not be for this world that much longer:

http://www.thurleighairfieldbusiness...ure-vision.htm

That's years rather than months, admittedly, and one assumes Dr Palmer will do financially rather well from the sale/redevelopment. He's still second of two options (the first being an 'international investor') for Silverstone.

All that said, I don't think Gasly has much to do with any of it
Old 9 Nov 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3686719)   #139
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Palmer confirmed at Renault for 2017 so end of the Thread i guess
Old 9 Nov 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3686722)   #140
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it'd be very interesting if they chose to lose the news about that today. it'd say a lot about why they've gone in that direction.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 10:54 (Ref:3686724)   #141
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
So they got together another 15m and Renault accepted. You have to say Renault played a blinder there!

I think the plan is to build houses at Bedford and relocate to Silverstone, 5hough it is interesting the BRDC seem to give everyone but JP preferred bidder status.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3686738)   #142
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
Palmer confirmed at Renault for 2017 so end of the Thread i guess
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37920386

From the press reports, all I can see is that its looking highly likely that Magnussen is off to HAAS, and I really cant blame him, as yet again Renault are dragging their heels.......but I dont see any confirmation of Palmer at Renault next year.......I can imagine the Plamers are very happy that Mangussen is leaving, as it leaves Joylyon as the most experienced "carry-over" driver within the Renault team......not bad!
Old 9 Nov 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3686777)   #143
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Its confirmed on Autosport site.

Its been hard to shine as a driver in this years Renault, and I'm glad that both Palmer and Magnussen get to drive again in 2017.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 16:02 (Ref:3686779)   #144
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Couldn't be happier for Jo, i have argued his case all year long and i think he more than deserves it, Magnussen is a decent driver and as the season has worn on i think Jo has matched him, if the deal clincher is the good doctor finding an extra £15 million down the back of the sofa then so be it, that is the way of the sport isn't it, but as far as i am concerned he easily warrants his place on the grid on talent alone.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3686783)   #145
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"more than deserves it" is a bit overenthusiastic. and he certainly doesn't warrant his place on talent alone. there's more talented and gifted people out there.

he's said some stuff that you know wouldn't have been uttered by someone like vandoorne who doesn't have the luxury of a rich daddy to cover his arse, but a british driver staying on the grid is a good thing i guess.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3686784)   #146
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think Palmer does deserve his place on the grid. GP2 champion, done a respectable job with a dog of a car this year, more or less matched the highly-rated Magnussen. It's good that both drivers look like they're staying in F1.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3686786)   #147
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Bella, i doubt we will ever see eye to eye as far as Jolyon is concerned, TenTenths is all about difference of opinion though isn't it. I take your point over some of his recent comments though, maybe due to frustration over the way Renault were dragging their heels, who knows, ill advised..... most definitely.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 18:49 (Ref:3686808)   #148
S griffin
Veteran

Palmer has done a good job and deserves to build on that
Old 9 Nov 2016, 20:07 (Ref:3686821)   #149
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
interest to see it implied that palmer was their second choice behind magnussen.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3686852)   #150
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
interest to see it implied that palmer was their second choice behind magnussen.
I think their first choice was actually Ocon?