Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Jun 2004, 14:10 (Ref:990398)   #1
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
The Doug Austin Marshal Of The Year 2009
motorsportmarshal61 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toca make it tough on start and finish for marshals

if things arnt bad enough when things get in your way but this is abit over the top
Attached Thumbnails
bttc cam modified.jpg  
Old 1 Jun 2004, 15:05 (Ref:990451)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Did the Observer on that post make a written report? I'm afraid it comes down to safety and unless the film crew are informed, it will happen time and time again.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 19:39 (Ref:990718)   #3
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what you should have done,remove the barriers,dig up the posts,and hey presto plenty of room.another idea to cut the supports to the crane off.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 20:58 (Ref:990818)   #4
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heard this being talked about at sign-on on sunday, but never actually saw it.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:06 (Ref:990832)   #5
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Did the Observer on that post make a written report? I'm afraid it comes down to safety and unless the film crew are informed, it will happen time and time again.
every man and his dog got involved and no one gave a f##k
has normal i even had ago at the director and his words were to me when i asked if it goes boobs up will u take the blame his reply was yes
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:32 (Ref:990858)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well there is NO way a film crew should be blocking access for marshals and I would continue to take this up with the C of the C if possible. Failing that, speak to BARc about it as they are always safety concious and should be willing to help for future events.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 21:37 (Ref:990863)   #7
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
steve the C of the C got involved and did nothing BARC officals got involved nothing circuit manager got involved and nothing still
it shows TV has preference
Old 2 Jun 2004, 00:56 (Ref:990982)   #8
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to our world. This kind of camera placement is very common in the US. Last year at F1 we had a man operating a boom camera from the ground. He had to lift it over the heads of the workers on each swing. We were only lucky he never forgot. We complained long and hard. I am curious to see if they've changed it for this year.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 16:51 (Ref:991732)   #9
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might sound daft but has anyone thought about contacting Autosport / Marus Pye and maybe even Martin Brundle / Johnathen Palmer just to get some publicity about the safety of Marshals. If a big incident did happen (and it could) and Marshals got injured becuse they had no where to run who would be responsable MSV? MSA? BMMC? TOCA? Or the TV company?
THe obsticle was brought to the attention of the relevent people yet nothing was done. Who is accountable in the end?
Luckily the worst case scenario did not happen
Old 2 Jun 2004, 18:21 (Ref:991824)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it's an issue, and no-one will deal with it, ask to be moved to another post. Best if you all ask together...
Old 2 Jun 2004, 21:04 (Ref:991977)   #11
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by andrew_powell98
It might sound daft but has anyone thought about contacting Autosport / Marus Pye and maybe even Martin Brundle / Johnathen Palmer just to get some publicity about the safety of Marshals. If a big incident did happen (and it could) and Marshals got injured becuse they had no where to run who would be responsable MSV? MSA? BMMC? TOCA? Or the TV company?
THe obsticle was brought to the attention of the relevent people yet nothing was done. Who is accountable in the end?
Luckily the worst case scenario did not happen
ive emailed this to j palmer and barc
but not expecting any reponse
Old 2 Jun 2004, 21:15 (Ref:991983)   #12
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
would walking off post until something had been done have made any difference??
Old 2 Jun 2004, 21:18 (Ref:991987)   #13
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by badgeman62
would walking off post until something had been done have made any difference??
none at all we got everyone involved and they didnt give a toss
all they was bothered about was gettin nice pics for the tv
Old 2 Jun 2004, 21:43 (Ref:992016)   #14
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
safety compromised for television.sounds about right.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 07:37 (Ref:992332)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Your Observer should perhaps have been a little more vocal in his concerns.
I would simply have refused to work in that area if it was the general consensus of opinion that it compromised our safety.
The worst thing that could have happened is that you were asked to leave. That consequence far outwieghs the risk of a marshal being injured by potentially being restricted in his/her escape route.

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 3 Jun 2004 at 07:38.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 08:11 (Ref:992351)   #16
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mitchell
Your Observer should perhaps have been a little more vocal in his concerns.
I would simply have refused to work in that area if it was the general consensus of opinion that it compromised our safety.
The worst thing that could have happened is that you were asked to leave. That consequence far outwieghs the risk of a marshal being injured by potentially being restricted in his/her escape route.
our obs was ken tyler so i think he did more that air is views but it fell on deaf ears has normal
we all had our say but to total set of people who all they bothered about was nice pics for the tv
Old 3 Jun 2004, 09:43 (Ref:992441)   #17
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not knowing the world of Marshalling, I was wondering whether it would cause a problem for you in the future if you had refused to work on such a post ?

do you HAVE to put up with it ? What would have happened if you had refused to work at that position ?

Knowing my temperament, I'd have probably gone and become a spectator for the day... would that have harmed me ?

PS. TV turned up at my wifes clinic for some filming a while back.. there attitude was "Stand Aside.. the TV is here now"... she came back from lunch and they had re arranged the office, taken down notice boards etc... there were a few sparks that day... she told he manager he could sort it all out by tomorrow and went home. Being a bit "I'm gonna get on TV" he just decided to do whatever they wanted.
Power of TV eh ?
Old 3 Jun 2004, 11:37 (Ref:992561)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woody61uk
our obs was ken tyler so i think he did more that air is views but it fell on deaf ears has normal
we all had our say but to total set of people who all they bothered about was nice pics for the tv

Sorry I forgot it was a TOCA meeting!!

If Mr Gow wants to put TV camera's in the middle of the bloody track then we'll have camera's in the middle of the track!

Old 3 Jun 2004, 12:02 (Ref:992594)   #19
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had similar instance couple of years ago at silverstone GP, 'bernie tv' was right next to our flag point on the same level........... they got some superb pics of our flags blocking the camera vision
Old 3 Jun 2004, 19:41 (Ref:993080)   #20
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
i think we need a spokesman,elected by the marshals,to put certain points forward with the organising club in advance of the meeting.theoretically any problems can be ironed out before the meeting starts.
Old 3 Jun 2004, 21:05 (Ref:993207)   #21
motorsportmarshal61
Veteran

United Kingdom
badgeman62
you have more chance of juggling soot than things being ironed out especially when the tv company has the last say
but on club level i think its a great idea
Old 3 Jun 2004, 22:49 (Ref:993302)   #22
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
but surely the organisers have the last word on where the tv cranes etc can be positioned?still there is so much red tape at these toca meetings makes you wonder why any of us bother turning out for it in the first place.i would much rather marshal a club meeting anyday
Old 4 Jun 2004, 04:23 (Ref:993464)   #23
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SPEED TV's production crew suddenly doesn't seem all that bad. They were setting up on Friday last year at Road America and trying to place a mic/remote camera near the station I was working. We voised a 'suggestion' that it would be in the way. Teh agreed and moved it. I should have sent them a thank you letter, it seems.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:46 (Ref:993617)   #24
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woody61uk, you forget that we do have the last word in these matters. We can just vote with our feet and refuse to work a post. No marshals, no meeting, no TV pics. Drastic it may be but why do we need to wait for somebody to be killed before something is done? The problem is our natural reaction is to just get on with it.

That's why Badgeman62's suggestion of a spokesman is a very good idea. What you're effectively setting up is a Marshals Union. I know unions get very bad press (usually ones associated with railways) but the general principle is sound.

All suggestions / complaints are voiced through one official channel that the club/circuit can respond to.

All too often I have read people criticising dangerous/bad practices but have these been raised with the clubs/circuits and has anything been done. I note that on-post parking positions have been moved at Thruxton because the insurance company said so. So things can be done if the right kind of pressure is applied.

I'm not suggesting we set up a militant army of whinging activists (most peoples perception of a union). This will cause more harm than good.

The ability though to have a sensible dialog with the clubs/circuits through official channels must be a good idea.

(fyi, I'm not a member of any union)
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:59 (Ref:993628)   #25
Neil Warland
Rookie

England
Woking, Surrey
Neil Warland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woody61uk, you forget that we do have the last word in these matters. We can just vote with our feet and refuse to work a post. No marshals, no meeting, no TV pics. Drastic it may be but why do we need to wait for somebody to be killed before something is done? The problem is our natural reaction is to just get on with it.

That's why Badgeman62's suggestion of a spokesman is a very good idea. What you're effectively setting up is a Marshals Union. I know unions get very bad press (usually ones associated with railways) but the general principle is sound.

All suggestions / complaints are voiced through one official channel that the club/circuit can respond to.

All too often I have read people criticising dangerous/bad practices but have these been raised with the clubs/circuits and has anything been done. I note that on-post parking positions have been moved at Thruxton because the insurance company said so. So things can be done if the right kind of pressure is applied.

I'm not suggesting we set up a militant army of whinging activists (most peoples perception of a union). This will cause more harm than good.

The ability though to have a sensible dialog with the clubs/circuits through official channels must be a good idea.

(fyi, I'm not a member of any union)