Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Feb 2002, 06:05 (Ref:212153)   #1
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners/Losers in CARTs Deovalization

Ok, maybe deovalization isn't really a word. What I am referring to is the lack of ovals on CARTs 2002 schedule. Nazareth, Michigan, St. Louis, Miami, Rio, Texas, and Chicago have all left the schedule over the last couple years. Between 1998 and 2001 CART ran 8, 9, 9, and 8 oval events. This years calander is down to just 5 ovals out of 18 races.

This deovalization will no doubt help some and hurt others. Last years runner up Kenny Brack is a likely loser as he racked up 116 of his 163 points on ovals last year. Other potential losers are Lola and Ford, both of whom had better percentages on ovals than on road/street courses.

Interestly, one of the prime benefactors, Penske, whose drivers would have finished first and second in a road/street course only series are bailing to compete in an oval only series. Penske drivers combined for only 99 points on ovals, but scored 241 on the road/streets.

If you go to www.cart.com and click on STANDINGS you'll see that they have split out the results from last year based on the track type. It makes comparisons easy.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 09:02 (Ref:212173)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What's funny is that there are only two oval events scheduled in the US.

And it's a good thing that Motegi is owned by Honda and not Toyota!
Old 8 Feb 2002, 15:51 (Ref:212364)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that Ganassi's depth will be a huge benefit to Brack's road course speed. I think he carried Rahal a lot more than they carried him.

I think it will come down to Team Green v. Ganassi for the title this year.
Never forget #99
Old 8 Feb 2002, 19:20 (Ref:212498)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The losers in all this have got to be the fans.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 00:10 (Ref:213434)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fan, and I like it . But, I know others may feel differently. Hey, if you don't like it, there's another all oval series that has a 500 mile race every year in Indiana....and some cart drivers usually drop by to show their stuff!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 10 Feb 2002, 00:31 (Ref:213449)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Jay -- I don't like ovals so will love having more road and street courses. Here's to the last year of turbos and watching the real race car drivers show their versatility on many different courses.
Old 11 Feb 2002, 12:13 (Ref:214015)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'm a Road Racing fan first but in the last little while I have come to appreciate the intricacies of oval racing, due partly to an article I read about Rick Mears, so I would like to see them stay. Road Courses, Street Circuits and Ovals are what makes CART so special losing even one of these aspects of the series would be bad.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Feb 2002, 20:05 (Ref:214207)   #8
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me, I love the mixture and liked CART for its oval races , oh well they didn't prove to be financially viable......
Old 20 Feb 2002, 12:52 (Ref:219425)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the losers r just about everyone duz ne1 know ne winners?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 21 Feb 2002, 03:31 (Ref:219871)   #10
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gtr, I'm sorry but my universal translater is malfunctioning and so I couldn't get the gist of your comments.

As Enemy-ace and others have mentioned, I am another fan who while doesn't have much interest for the shorter ovals, I do find the "long term" strategy of the larger and longer oval races fascinating. Not to mention again the appreciation for the wide range of courses that the teams and drivers have to contend with over the season. It is exactly this difference to F1 that makes it so entertaining for me. The fuel limit changes should be an improvement in my opinion and can't wait to see how things pan out this year.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 13:22 (Ref:220048)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

take 2:
well the losers are just about everyone does anyone know any winners?

happy djb?

05 - Peter Brock
Old 21 Feb 2002, 17:50 (Ref:220171)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gtr, I should have stuck in a wink face thingee....

I still think the CART season is going to be highly entertaining even with a few less ovals.

djb
Old 22 Feb 2002, 13:24 (Ref:220637)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

i didnt put a smilie cos i dont know how 2 do them when i click on one nothing, happens how do i do it?

05 - Peter Brock
Old 24 Feb 2002, 19:23 (Ref:221874)   #14
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why clicking on the smilies to the left of the reply box wouldn't work for you, but you can put in smilies manually.

If you type a semicolon followed by a right paren a wink will show up after you hit the SUBMIT REPLY button. A colon followed by a right paren will make a standard smile. There should be no spaces between the characters when you type them.

All of the smilies have manual methods. Here are some of them:

:banghead :
:bag :
:laugh :
:cool :

Again there should be no spaces between characters.