Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Aug 2000, 00:24 (Ref:32986)   #1
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone bought TOCA WTC yet? I'm thinking of getting it and since it's by Codemasters, I reckon my money's safe but I'd appreciate any comments/reviews.

By the way, Summer seems an odd time to release a game.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 00:36 (Ref:32988)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't moan! It's good that for once there are some games being released at this time of year! I don't know whether or not to buy TWTC. I have the demo and wasn't overly impressed.

The Official Playstation Mag gave it 10 out of 10, but I no longer trust their reviews. Ever since they said FF8 was better than FF7 and they gave the likes of GT2 and V-Rally 2 10 out of 10, they really don't seem to know what they are on about anymore.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 17:33 (Ref:33173)   #3
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that. I don't place much faith in magazine reviews, either, principally because of the V-Rally 2 fiasco.

I think I'll still buy it, though, since I understand it's got both Bathurst and Laguna Seca on it.

Audiostreet.com have it for £20.99, a saving of nearly a tenner.
Old 27 Aug 2000, 20:33 (Ref:33224)   #4
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got it yesterday (20.99 - Gamesstreet) and spent most of the day playing it. Its quite unusual for a game to hold my attention for so long.

It does have a few problems such as no real drivers or real-life liveries but nothing thats going to hamper the gameplay too much.

The career mode is very good. You will get about 3 offers initially and you must pass a test before you can accept them. Tests are completing 1 lap of a circuit in a specified time. Even on tracks you don't know this shouldn't be much of a problem as the limits are quite generous. You then get to see further details of the offer. These range from winning 4 races to finishing 5th or better in the season.

There are 6 or 7 national tournaments to start with and when you gain 140 points (combined) you can progress to the next level.

The national tournaments consist of 6 rounds over 3 or 4 courses and vary from 2 to 6 laps, some have compulsory pitstops and some are run at night.

One small feature I liked was the fact that the US based championships have rolling starts whereas the others have standing starts.

You also gain bonuses for completing the criteria and winning the championship. The championship bonuses are tracks getting unlocked for the non-championship modes. You also unlock cars for the non-championship modes as you amass points.

Overall its a great game and for just 20.99 (saving at least 9 quid on the shop price) well worth the money.