dumb 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Dec 2003, 21:57 (Ref:812561)   #1
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris Pook - Effective CEO?

is chris pook good,bad,clever or dumb

Last edited by f1manoz; 15 Dec 2003 at 22:53.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 22:29 (Ref:812591)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently he is now:

Incognito...

He wasn't here in Indy when discussions were being held lat last week on what the CART Board will do to facilitate the Series being able to move on via the OWRS buying of certain assets, etc...

But sinc ethat isn't a choice, "Dumb" was my 1st pick, followed closely by "bad"....

The other two aren't even on my radar after looking at the financial results from the past year....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Dec 2003, 22:48 (Ref:812600)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All the evidence sugegsts that CARt wouldn't've reached 2003 had he not been in charge. He galvanised some of the teams, set up teh works deal with Ford, adn used the ESP to fill the grid.

Likewise, had they hired him a year earlier instead of Heizler, I'm not sure the problems with Toyota and Penske would've happened. Heizler's man-management was very poor and he didn't seem to understand the bigger picture. Pook had a long-term plan to differentiate the series from the IRL, and maybe his legacy will produce something positive.

Mods, can this thread have a more descriptive title?

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 15 Dec 2003 at 22:50.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 22:52 (Ref:812605)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pook did the best he could in a bad situation. The only bad thing he did, in my opinion, was spend all of CARTs money this year. But, in some ways, it was the only thing he could do to guarantee the series this year.

Pook worked tirelessly for the cause this year and I thank him for his efforts.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:08 (Ref:812616)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pook did what he needed to do to keep the ship afloat for as long as possible with other peoples money. In the meantime he collected himself a handsome check. I'd catagorize that as clever.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:40 (Ref:812636)   #6
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without Pook, there would've been no 2003. I applaude him!
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:41 (Ref:812637)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pook was CART's biggest fan, and he rolled the dice for it this year, all or nothing.

Unfortunately, I think we lost... Bad but clever.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:46 (Ref:812639)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What camcartfan said.
Things looked pretty bleak one year ago today.
The board was full of happy trolls.
Few thought that there would still be a CART to talk about today.
I believe that he had no choice BUT to spend the money.
Otherwise, there'd have been twelve cars and tons of cancelled events.
The life expectancy was extended by at least one year.
And for that, I give him thanks.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:56 (Ref:812644)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clever enough to make a racing season out of pretty much nowhere...
Old 16 Dec 2003, 00:21 (Ref:812656)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In some ways I think he did a good job overall, but I'm not sure what the plan was regarding spending every last cent CART had left. One would have thought that he'd have tried to have enough to get to 2004. There was no reason for the extravagance of Europe, Milwaukee, Cleveland and he could have cut a few races more than the European ones out.

Last edited by Snrub; 16 Dec 2003 at 00:22.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 00:30 (Ref:812659)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Milwaukee's lights are built-in, but I totally agree about Cleveland. It was quite the spectacle, no doubt, but it was also terribly expensive. Hard to justify when a few months later you find your self in default.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 00:35 (Ref:812663)   #12
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did a great job in regards to getting racing in place for 2003. I am a cart fan and am thankful for that.

But as for a CEO he did a TERRIBLE job. Spending all that money with no real plan other than getting through the year is not smart.

All race fans will be mad at this statement because
your answer is that if he didn't, their wouldn't have been a season and the possibility of the buyout, now on the table would never have happened.

This is all true but a CEO's responsibility is not really to the fan but to the shareholders. He should have seen that spending that kind of money with no offers on the table prior to 2003 meant they shouldn't have proceeded. They should have shut down operations and distributed the cash to the shareholders last year at this time.

A new buyer(some existing shareholders) knew the only way they could ever take control or do a buyout, was when CART was on it's last legs. they wouldn't have paid the money for the asset last year as it was worth too much. Pook was just a pawn in a game that allowed alot of shareholders to lose alot of money. He was played very well and has accomplished all of his goals.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 00:38 (Ref:812665)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Ten years from now, hopefully we'll reflect upon Chris Pook as the saviour.
Only time will tell.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 01:27 (Ref:812687)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.cart.com/About/OfficeAdministration.asp

Pook has been removed from the Cart Website.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:01 (Ref:812697)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I were an investor in CART Inc, would it not be a question for me to ask whether Mr Pook purposely followed this track to get the investors in OWRS to pick up the pieces at a good price?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:22 (Ref:812744)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clever would be my vote. Not "smart" but clever enough to weave his way through a minefield without getting blown up more than once or twice. He had a kind of loose tongue and his behaviour in Vancouver was hardly CEO like, but by and large I think he saved CART when nobody else would touch it. We will live to bless him especially when the truth is eventually known.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:27 (Ref:812747)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He took lots of risks and some of them payed off in that we're still here.... others didn't in that the series will have to be burned down to be saved.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Dec 2003, 04:47 (Ref:812754)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Milwaukee's lights are built-in, but I totally agree about Cleveland. It was quite the spectacle, no doubt, but it was also terribly expensive. Hard to justify when a few months later you find your self in default.
I believe Milwaukee was the largest temporary lighting project until Cleveland happened. Don't have proof of that, but it was definately temporary: http://www.musco.com/newsev/cart.html
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:12 (Ref:813108)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I stand corrected. I really thought Milwaukee's lights were permanent.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:26 (Ref:813118)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Pook leaves CART in a not worse position thann CART was in when he was appointed.
At least he behaved seriously, and gave CART some credibility.
Could he have done more/better? Who knows; anyways it's undisputable that at the time of his appointment the situation already was largely and deeply compromised.