Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3389362)   #76
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Don't think Perez will be there at the end. I expect him to fall down the list by race end.

What a race! Great to see a team let their drivers race right to the end. A couple of teams need to take note. And go Ricciardo!!!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3389388)   #77
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Got to say Nico doesn't look too happy, I wonder if he was told to back off?
Maybe, or he just didn't have enough in the car over the last lap or two.
I thought Lewis' body language after qualification was a little subdued after being beaten to pole so it doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

They are two competitive people and both want to win. They both have egos and things they want to prove, to others and to themselves.

Perez and Hulkenberg are the same, as are Bottas and Massa.
As long as the teams give them equal treatment it will be an interesting season....
Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3389393)   #78
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Maybe, or he just didn't have enough in the car over the last lap or two.
I thought Lewis' body language after qualification was a little subdued after being beaten to pole so it doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

They are two competitive people and both want to win. They both have egos and things they want to prove, to others and to themselves.

Perez and Hulkenberg are the same, as are Bottas and Massa.
As long as the teams give them equal treatment it will be an interesting season....
Nico made it quite clear in the podium interview that he didn't like finishing behind Lewis.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3389397)   #79
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB View Post
Maldonado... Does he get a holiday for that? Surely a large amount of penalty points.
I vote holiday.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3389431)   #80
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who wants to start a bet? How many races before Maldonado collects all 12 points.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3389444)   #81
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A shame Pastor blotted his copybook in such a way as he was driving a great race for the current level of that car and got a bit desperate coming out the pits?

Gutierrez radio call was classic:"what the hell was that!?"

We haven't seen a performance advantage like those Mercedes since 2002 or the FW14B. Staggering speed and poise those things have.

Great scrap though, Lewis and Nico need a damn hard fight to bring the best out of them.

Checo drove a stormer for 3rd and Hulk's radio complaint after Perez got him when Massa baulked the German was utter bs, didn't think he was that kind of driver.

Red Bull is looking very, very interesting now. So Vettel had an issue but it genuinely looks like he has a teammate that can match him every race.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3389474)   #82
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Who wants to start a bet? How many races before Maldonado collects all 12 points.
IMO he should be at least half way there after today, but its only 3 points for that.

Anyway I reckon he will get there by race 13.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3389489)   #83
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Checo drove a stormer for 3rd and Hulk's radio complaint after Perez got him when Massa baulked the German was utter bs, didn't think he was that kind of driver.
They're all that kind of driver.

Lewis, Mark (albeit no longer) and Fernando are exceptions possibly, but even they have/had their moments.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3389520)   #84
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Almost 25 secs in 10 laps, that's 2.5s a lap faster than the rest of the field. Damn. When's the last time there was a car more dominant? The Schumacher years? I don't think Seb has ever had that much of an advantage.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3389523)   #85
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm surprised at both the penalty and the vitriol for Maldonado. I have previously described him as an animal, and no-one will ever accuse me of being a fan, but I thought he was innocent. He drove in a straight line from the pit exit to the corner, and at the point of impact he was following a sensible line around the corner. There was no sign of him slithering straight on.

Gutierrez clearly didn't see Maldonado (carp F1 mirrors) but the team should have told him there was a car there. You can't just drive straight at the apex and expect the car inside to evaporate.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3389535)   #86
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maldonado was totally to blame IMO. He is rejoining the track, it is mainly his responsibility to ensure he does so safely.

The rather spectacular result made him look a lot worse though, probably!
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3389548)   #87
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Almost 25 secs in 10 laps, that's 2.5s a lap faster than the rest of the field. Damn. When's the last time there was a car more dominant? The Schumacher years? I don't think Seb has ever had that much of an advantage.

maybe, I haven't checked, but the 2. or 1.5, or 1 sec he had was still plenty enough advantage in modern F1.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3389549)   #88
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That and having a completely uncompetitive teammate, however that situation came about.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3389550)   #89
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Maldonado drove out of the pits down the inside, straight down to the apex because he's actually not allowed to cross over the while line on the pit exit. What he did is not the most conventional way but Pastor has never been conventional.

Gutierrez would never have seen him and he would never have appeared in his mirrors. That's why he was totally oblivious to him.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:04 (Ref:3389553)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Maldonado drove out of the pits down the inside, straight down to the apex because he's actually not allowed to cross over the while line on the pit exit. What he did is not the most conventional way but Pastor has never been conventional.

Gutierrez would never have seen him and he would never have appeared in his mirrors. That's why he was totally oblivious to him.
Evidently, Maldonado wasn't oblivious to Gutierrez.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3389555)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Evidently, Maldonado wasn't oblivious to Gutierrez.
Or perhaps he was. Who knows what goes through that man's head. A seriously scary individual.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3389558)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Or perhaps he was. Who knows what goes through that man's head. A seriously scary individual.
That's why he should get 'Retard of the Race', imho....just saying.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3389566)   #93
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've watched it back a number of times and I still think it's Maldonado's fault. Rejoining the circuit on "cold" tyres and he still tries to lunge his car down the inside of Gutierrez who is at racing speed and a car length ahead at the corner.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 04:40 (Ref:3389603)   #94
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I've watched it back a number of times and I still think it's Maldonado's fault. Rejoining the circuit on "cold" tyres and he still tries to lunge his car down the inside of Gutierrez who is at racing speed and a car length ahead at the corner.
Still? Is there any option that could change? He never was in any position to challenge Guttierez in that corner.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3389613)   #95
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Still? Is there any option that could change? He never was in any position to challenge Guttierez in that corner.
wasn't Maldonado wrong anyway because he came out of the pits?
Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3389662)   #96
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm surprised at both the penalty and the vitriol for Maldonado. I have previously described him as an animal, and no-one will ever accuse me of being a fan, but I thought he was innocent. He drove in a straight line from the pit exit to the corner, and at the point of impact he was following a sensible line around the corner. There was no sign of him slithering straight on.

Gutierrez clearly didn't see Maldonado (carp F1 mirrors) but the team should have told him there was a car there. You can't just drive straight at the apex and expect the car inside to evaporate.

Take another look. He was given a car width at the apex and still managed to drop kick Gutierrez out of the race.

I'm amazed he was allowed to complete the event. It's been a long time since a black flag was issued during a race, but that particular piece of boneheaded buffoonery was worthy.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3389665)   #97
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Maldonado.

Looking at his line in to the corner, he was on a racing line from the Pit exit. However, that simply isn't the same as the racing line you would take normally. They cross just after the apex. The problem is, Maldonado was sighted, Gutierrez wasn't and Maldonado should have known that the two lines were 'incompatible' and not gone for a gap that simply wasn't there.

The fact he hit the other car at about 90degs' in the sidepod, means he deserved everything he got.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3389669)   #98
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
Take another look. He was given a car width at the apex and still managed to drop kick Gutierrez out of the race.

I'm amazed he was allowed to complete the event. It's been a long time since a black flag was issued during a race, but that particular piece of boneheaded buffoonery was worthy.
I'm wary of finding myself backed into a "Maldonado Fanboy" corner here because there have been many times when I thought Maldonado was out of order and got away with a light or no penalty. It's just that this time I think the opposite has happened.

I will take some more looks but I ran through it several times last night and Gutierrez seemed to me to go straight to the apex with no car width left for Maldonado. If he had left a car width, that would suggest he knew Maldonado was there and wouldn't have made the radio comment that he did.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:32 (Ref:3389672)   #99
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Even if Gutierrez had driven into the runoff, Maldonado would still have come close to hitting him.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3389675)   #100
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Maldonado was trying a cheap overtake, but it went badly wrong. I think he deserved some kind of penalty, but it was not one of his terrible "red mist" moments thankfully.