Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Jun 2003, 14:43 (Ref:644837)   #1
Yves
Rookie

Yves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soutien Ã* Monthléry : visit and sign !

Please, authorise me to use the audience of this forum for a good cause : at the opening day of what could be the last edition of "La coupe de l'âge d'or" at "l'autodrome de Linas-Monthléry", it could be helpful that a maximum of motor sport supporters come and give support to this historical place.

This is the link for signature : it's on french and I can translate if somebody needs but this didn't prevent stars to give their support as Phil Hill already does (I hope this is true).

http://www.motorlegend.com/montlhery/index.php

Doesn't matter what will be the result but it cannot be bad for the future to try to save the past.

Mothléry is probably the last old oval track still used nowaday in Europe and its use past 2004 is depending on administrative authorisations.

Thank you for your help,

Y.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 01:17 (Ref:645204)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've signed Yves. Linas-Montlhéry is a magnificent circuit, I dream of touring the track someday. I hope your efforts are rewarded (and I hope that my high school French wasn't too awful).

Vive l'autodrome de Linas-Montlhéry!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:06 (Ref:646088)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And for those of you like me who haven't been lucky enough to see this treasure firsthand, here's a complete photo tour of the magnificent circuit:

http://lfnsc.free.fr/monthlery/index.htm
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:10 (Ref:646096)   #4
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too have signed the petition, I have been to Montlhery twice recently for historic events, it is a wonderfully evocative site.

Quite apart from its historic interest to Racing Historians, it is a VERY important piece of French Industrial Heritage. I know the French Establishment has no interest in preserving Industrial sites, but surely the Autodrome at Montlhery is worth being treated with the respect it deserves?

If it were in Britain it would be a 'Grade One Listed' Historic Site.

Here are FIVE compelling reasons for its preservation;

[1] It is complete.

[2] It has no modern redevelopments scarring it.

[3] It is a unique survivor, the only complete prewar autodrome in the World. Furthermore it is still useable.

[4] It is all made of reinforced concrete, a technique pioneered by the Franco-Belgian, M. Hennibique. This unfairly maligned material made it possible to build such a structure for a reasonable cost.

[5] Last but not least, it would make a wonderful French counterweight to the Disneyification of history if it were to be developed as a flagship park to show the development of the motor industry through French eyes. A museum where instead of cars sitting idly, like dead butterflies pinned to a board, they can be demonstrated at anytime in their original environment.

I am a qualified Archeologist, my dissertation was on the introduction of Reinforced Concrete to Britain.I can assure you that there are very few sports/industrial buildings from this era in useable condition left anywhere in Europe and none more important as an example of Industrial Architecture.

This is particularly true as it also has resonance because it is a sporting venue, and thus an early example of a structure built for the emergent leisure industry, thus very important in Socio-Historical terms of reference. It was bad enough that nothing was preserved of the old Wembley Stadium in england, but the loss of this magnificent space will be a far greater disaster.

It would be an example of the most appalling Art Historical snobbery if it were to be demolished to create a highly priced suburban housing estate.

The French proudly pay honour to their 'patrimonie' in so many ways, so why not preserve the Autodrome at Montlhery????

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 10:00 (Ref:649372)   #5
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yves, I have posted this on the Vintage Sports Car Club forum at vscc.co.uk I hope this is all right by you?

Steve McQueen.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 11:19 (Ref:651920)   #6
Yves
Rookie

Yves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
Yves, I have posted this on the Vintage Sports Car Club forum at vscc.co.uk I hope this is all right by you?

No problem, the largest distribution is the best,

Y.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 09:56 (Ref:653158)   #7
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I emailed Renault UK on this topic and their first reply was to say that the Autodrome was run by an organisation known as UTAC, which was I believe, originally formed for the development of the industry, and that Renault was only a shareholder along with others, a second email solicited this reply.

Thank you for your further e-mail regarding Monthléry Autodrome.

I have been able to find the following contact details for you:

UTAC Autodrome de Linas-Monthléry
91311 B.P 212 - Montlhéry Cedex France
Tél : +33 (0)1 69 80 17 34
Fax : +33 (0)1 69 80 17 23
utac@utac.com

So maybe a further direct email campaign to them may help, I will try to find the email address of the French ministry of culture and Beaux Arts as well.

I intend to keep you all posted!

Steve McQueen.