Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2932519)   #101
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is my first post in quite a while and given the issue at hand, I felt I had to.

Obviously this is terrible news. I also don't think it'll be successful. It's not like football where it has such a mass appeal with fanatical fans who will pay to watch their team and any team to get their football fix. Football is the biggest sport on the planet by far and the model to charging to watch it works - the market is there. The market isn't there for F1 given I'm sure Bernie has charged his usual obscene fee. Sky could find themselves losing a lot of money on this and quite frankly I hope they do.

I echo other posters who say this is a final nail in the coffin for me. I used to be fanatical but the way F1 has gone over the years, the appeal has diminished. I certainly won't be subscribing to Sky. I hope we get to see the audience figures. Without a doubt, these are going to drop - significantly.

As always, it's the fans who lose out. Like anything, without the fans F1 would not be where it is now (and Bernie and the drivers wouldn't be multi gazzilionaires). So now they want the fans to shell out yet more money to them? Enough is enough. Once 2012 happens, I will follow F1 even less and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I'll check the result later on Sunday, that's about it. F1 has further alienated me today and soon I won't be in touch with it at all. It was a great journey while it lasted the last 30 odd years.

Greedy feckers.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2932520)   #102
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't even get rid of the dreaded casual fans due to it still being on BBC in various forms.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2932522)   #103
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
sign here also http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23poweroff1fans
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2932523)   #104
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It was F1 or BBC4 for the chop
Which gets the greater audiences?

Adam Parr compares this to the English Premier League, but with that, you know that if you want to watch a game, you go to the local pub. Are local pubs really going to show qualifying and races live on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, when they are up against other football matches? I suspect not, which means his quote about Bernie having done this to broaden the audience is total nonsense.

Regarding audience figures, I'm sure ITV will have scored a much higher audience for the Champions League final than Sky Sports, but that's not what motivates those who make the decisions. The money does.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2932524)   #105
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
So, if we have a turn about sytem based around the BBC having the British GP, here's how the 2011 season would have worked with Sky.

live exclusive to Sky
Bahrain * (yes I know it was cancelled, but it should have been there)
Malaysia
Turkey
Monaco
Valencia
Germany
Spa
Singapore
Korea
Abu Dhabi.

so what would us Sky averse fans have missed?
Well....Spa for starters.
My, at least, favourite, race of the season.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2932525)   #106
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I know that "F1" as a sport isn't on the "gold list" or whatever its called (the sporting events that are protected), however I was under the impression that the "British GP" as a one-off event was. I believe though, that assumption by myself is wrong. There is no protected status of F1 on British free-to-air TV.

Anyway, I hope its a terrible failure and everyone involved loses a shed load of money.
The list of sports on the list is quite small - e.g. Worl Cup Final, FA Cup Final. No motorsport event gets a look in. http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080420...ee-air-tv.html

One day the UK government will wake up and see the importance of motorsport in the UK economy - its one of the few areas where we clearly lead the world in high-tencnology innovation and manufacturing. It should be used by the government as a clear advertisement of British tecnological innovative capacity in a wiode range of sectors. I'm not calling for subsidies - just recognition of the true value of motorsport to the UK.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2932526)   #107
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a question, if we have a Canada/Korea heavy rain delay and it is on Sky want will Sky do?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2932527)   #108
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC article said that Monaco and Silverstone would both be on BBC.

I would hope the likes of Austrailia, Monaco, Silverstone, Spa, Canada, Monza, Brazil, Japan and the last race if not one of the prior mentioned ones would be on BBC
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2932534)   #109
flipper
Rookie

flipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading Adam Parr's comment on autosport.com :

"In principle I have no issue with optimising the balance between the revenues that we need, and getting a good reach in the audience,"

the teams are forgetting that F1 is competed in by them but watched and thus, indirectly, paid for by spectators.
I would really like to hear what Vodaphone et al are going to think when the viewing numbers slump but perhaps they also can be replaced by "enhanced revenues from Sky" ?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2932540)   #110
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
And Davyboy, the BBC can't afford it. They've dropped it here - they had an exclusive deal for another year. It was F1 or BBC4 for the chop
Oh my God they can ! They're one of the best funded media organizations in the world. It's how they chose to spend their funding, that's the problem with the Beeb.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2932542)   #111
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A load of ****. That's as articulate as I can be right now having just read about it.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2932543)   #112
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the teams have been caught on the hop. Could we see Formula Teddy out the Pram make a reappearance?

Also, a question to those who are talking about Beeb effectively broadcasting one half of the season and Sky the other. Is this speculation or fact based? I would expect the Beeb to 'cherry pick' the races dependent on how appealing they'll be, and whether or not they clash with the latset episode of Dancing on Ice or whatever other dross they stick into the schedule.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2932545)   #113
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
Reading Adam Parr's comment on autosport.com :

"In principle I have no issue with optimising the balance between the revenues that we need, and getting a good reach in the audience,"

the teams are forgetting that F1 is competed in by them but watched and thus, indirectly, paid for by spectators.
I would really like to hear what Vodaphone et al are going to think when the viewing numbers slump but perhaps they also can be replaced by "enhanced revenues from Sky" ?
Sadly these days Williams has little in the way of commercial, brand sponsorship, effectively funded by the Venezuelan government in return for running Pastor, so of all the main teams, viewing figures are probably less critical to them.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2932556)   #114
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loads of other countries have to pay extra for the privilege, me in Canada for instance. Bernie doesn't grumble about the viewing #'s provided the cheque clears.

Remember the UK only has ~65 - 70 million potential viewers and what % watch F1? How many people are in China and India again? North America has >350 million. As posted elsewhere, Sky would buy exclusive rights to Corrie if it could.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2932559)   #115
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Sadly these days Williams has little in the way of commercial, brand sponsorship, effectively funded by the Venezuelan government in return for running Pastor, so of all the main teams, viewing figures are probably less critical to them.
Well they are critical, but the F1 team view is very short term, especially a struggling team like Williams.

If viewing figures drop, then nobody will pay the Ecclestone fee and the teams take a big hit. At this moment in time though, Bernie has just received a huge lump of cash and everybody is happy.

I must say I don't like Adam Parr much. Some of the ****e he has come out with this year... Seems an idiot.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2932561)   #116
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Also, a question to those who are talking about Beeb effectively broadcasting one half of the season and Sky the other. Is this speculation or fact based? I would expect the Beeb to 'cherry pick' the races dependent on how appealing they'll be, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc sport site
Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

Races screened by the BBC will be live on the BBC Sport website for UK users.

The BBC will have highlights on TV, online and mobile for any race it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

...< snip waffle by spokesperson about being a good deal for fans..>

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.
no mention about how the pie will be divvied up.

I'll be carrying on watching F1, but it looks like I'll only be able to see highlights of the 1/2 not carried live by the BBC, a return to the 80s in a way when I used to just watch the BBC2 highlights programme on a Sunday night, since I was invariably at a racetrack during the day and would not have set the VCR to record as I ran out the door.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2932563)   #117
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
Loads of other countries have to pay extra for the privilege, me in Canada for instance. Bernie doesn't grumble about the viewing #'s provided the cheque clears.

Remember the UK only has ~65 - 70 million potential viewers and what % watch F1? How many people are in China and India again? North America has >350 million. As posted elsewhere, Sky would buy exclusive rights to Corrie if it could.
Maybe Bernie won't care, But Sky will. If the numbers don't add up they'll drop F1 like a hot potato.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2932569)   #118
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you're right, they might. And you're right again, BE probably doesn't care as long as his pile of gold gets bigger.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2932572)   #119
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frankly, **** off Sky.

The BBC coverage is one of the best we've had in a while.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2932573)   #120
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Could I ask you all kindly to vote in this poll in armchair, if you have time?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129486
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2932581)   #121
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the bit that gets me:

'Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone told BBC Sport: "It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport.'

You already get full coverage from the BBC, you can't get any more coverage than that.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2932583)   #122
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This is the bit that gets me:

'Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone told BBC Sport: "It's super for F1. It will mean a lot more coverage for the sport.'

You already get full coverage from the BBC, you can't get any more coverage than that.
Is Bernie a bit thick ?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2932585)   #123
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just received this via e-mail from Autosport:

No adverts during the race !!!

http://email.autosport.com/q/1MP32ZxIS8aAOu/wv
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2932590)   #124
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Oh my God they can ! They're one of the best funded media organizations in the world. It's how they chose to spend their funding, that's the problem with the Beeb.
Hmm. They may be one of the best funded, but they still have a limited amount of cash, and they are under orders to make the best use of it. F1 is very expensive and we can blame BE for that - he puts the price up so high even the BBC balks at the cost. The BBC have chosen to spend the money elsewhere, and that elsewhere probably serves more people over a year than F1.

Once again, don't blame the BBC for BE overpricing F1 so that only Sky can afford it.

I personally think that this will result in a rapid reduction in viewing figures, and the sponsers are not going to be happy. But we shall see.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2932593)   #125
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Just received this e-mail from Autosport:

No adverts during the race !!!

http://email.autosport.com/q/1MP32ZxIS8aAOu/wv

SUDDENLY IT IS WORTH IT!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky