Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2003, 22:27 (Ref:508954)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco and the tobacco ban

Is Monaco exempt from the ban on tobacco advertising due to come in in 2006?(I think it's 2006). I don't know. Could someone fill me in here please?
Old 16 Feb 2003, 22:42 (Ref:508971)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much anything is legal there because it's a province in it's own right. It's only the EU member states that agreed to ditch cig advertising in 2006 (although they seem to want to bring that forward now).
Old 17 Feb 2003, 06:21 (Ref:509184)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tobacco ban that will come after 2006 applies to Motorsport. That is, no matter the Monaco legislation, the cars will NOT have cig's sponsorship.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 06:35 (Ref:509195)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
The tobacco ban that will come after 2006 applies to Motorsport. That is, no matter the Monaco legislation, the cars will NOT have cig's sponsorship.
OK Red, you are the computer wizard here. What are the chances of putting virtual ads on a car on the telly? not to mention virtual billboards. I mean, is there any way to put a WEST add on all the Macs going round, and Marlboro ads on the Ferraris and so on, so that on the track, the cars will have one primary and significant colour, and then the ads are put on them via computer technology as they appear on the screen? So the silver car will carry one ad, the red cars another, the green car another ad, and so on.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 06:43 (Ref:509200)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
On the cars, live, in real time, perhaps is much to complicated (if possible) to be feasible. (not sure though, perhaps I could be wrong). They can however put virtual ads somewhere in the landscape, guardrails, walls, banners whatever. But the point is that tobacco-sponsorship will be globally banned by FIA. If the local laws allow tobacco bans, they'll be free to advertise cigarettes during comercial breaks, but no ads on cars, tracks or anywhere else.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 06:55 (Ref:509213)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I didn't know the FIA was going to have a global ban . But yeah, the breaks will bring in a lot of mileage for tobacco in countries like Japan, China, India, Korea, etc., where the audience is huge, and the smoking is endemic.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 07:01 (Ref:509222)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
FIA considered that banning tobacco ads on a per-contry basis is not effective at all (they would still watch on TV cars with Marlboro logo, when the GP is somewhere else) and it will achieve nothing other than putting the teams into financial trouble. So they came up with the idea to ban it, but only if other countries would allow to delay it till 2006. (to help teams to find alternate ways of financing)
Old 17 Feb 2003, 08:06 (Ref:509261)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK, so we'll have to go the ad breaks route. They used to flood the TV's in HK until tobacco ads were banned. However, I reckon there would be many countries where smoking is fashionable and which are over populated to blazes. India, for example, has a huge population, and so has China, and I am sure these people are sports mad. The Chinese would just about bet on anything, and the Indians also. We are talking about a TV audience that would put Europe to shame.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 08:19 (Ref:509264)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
The tobacco-sponsorship is dead. Doesn't matter if some countries (with huge audience) will still allow it. The 2006 ban was actually meant to protect the sponsorship, at least for a little while. Otherwise the situation was critical even since 97-98. To impose the global ban was a compromise.

The ad breaks will not help the teams, it's a business between local TV stations and cig-companies, the teams see no penny. The cig-makers will NOT pour money in the sport anymore, instead they would make deals with TV stations in countries where is allowed.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 10:05 (Ref:509323)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Ever thought Monaco is a silly place to have an F1 race anyway,its always an interesting race but its days as an F1 track must be numbered.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 10:53 (Ref:509358)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
On the cars, live, in real time, perhaps is much to complicated (if possible) to be feasible.
Do you think so? Your proberbly right, but, in CART in 2000 (??) i think it was, Toyota had "virtual advertising" put onto some of the cars (that used their engines) when they braked, so that the Toyota emblem glowed up within the wheel rims.

Last edited by Mr V; 17 Feb 2003 at 10:53.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 11:25 (Ref:509375)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
:confused: yes, I think so, but I'm not at all convinced... Anyway, as I said it's useless anyway. After 2006 there will be no tobacco sponsorship at all. And until then they will have proper ads on cars, I can't see Benson & Hedges paying Jordan more than a pack of cigarettes for a virtual ad, neither Marlboro virtually sponsoring the Spanish GP...
Old 17 Feb 2003, 15:10 (Ref:509594)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco IS a part of the EU - they have the Euro.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 15:14 (Ref:509600)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
No, they're not. Besides, before that they had French Franks and they were not France.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 16:48 (Ref:509674)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Ever thought Monaco is a silly place to have an F1 race anyway,its always an interesting race but its days as an F1 track must be numbered.
I have seen something simlar quoted in a publcation of 1930. No doubt it will still be going in 2070!
Old 17 Feb 2003, 19:45 (Ref:509836)   #16
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender

I don't think so. It's one race which I think will always be around.

I think it's more a prestige affair than a race. The only time we really see it's role as a drivers track is in qualifying, which is always exciting. In the race, it's all about keeping the car on the road and being patient. I guess that's why Nigel Mansell never won there!

I think that if Monaco had a better track, they should use it. I want to watch a race, not a procession with the only excitement being who will DNF.