Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jun 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3414441)   #4326
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
..... I can imagine that at low speed, such as lower speed corners, it helps the efficiency of the diffuser to create downforce. At high speeds, the trailing edge is pushed down and it likely reduces the efficiency of the diffuser as well as reduces drag when it is needed on long straights. Basically some type of passive DRS. I absolutely believe it was designed to flex....
Elegant Gurney when needed
Old 3 Jun 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3414644)   #4327
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Testing today on the Bugatti circuit:
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/aud...rcuit-bugatti/
Old 3 Jun 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3414726)   #4328
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
MyNameIsNigel posted this link about four days ago in the LMP Future Regulations thread...

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...D0017-LMP1.pdf

Which shows an effort at trying to address a specific problem area (That document appears to be focused on front and rear wings). But it still leaves other parts of the body in the grey area due to a lack of testing procedures.

In my mind the new rear cover of the 919 is playing in that grey area. While no team is going to outright say "this is designed to flex at speed", check out the photos at the bottom of the RE article. Particularly those that show the unloaded/static position and aero loaded/dynamic position...

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...ed-at-le-mans/
IMHO there is basically no "grey area" as far as the prohibition of movable bodywork elements or parts is concerned. Articles 3 and 3.4 of the Technical Regulations are pretty clear:
Quote:
Article 3
The FIA reserves the right to introduce load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.

Among other criteria, the FIA will consider the linearity of the
load/deflection curve over the elastic deformation area.
Any non-linearity must be only on the plastic deformation
area.
(...)

Article 3.4
(...)
Movable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the
car is in motion.
(...)
Now, Porsche seem to have undertaken last-minute revisions to the rear bodywork and it could be that these were not the final iterations. There are some "curious" differences between the different pictures posted by RCE. In the following two pictures, you can clearly see some support member on the right-hand side of the breather pipe:

This support member is not visible in the picture taken at speed:

So it could be that Porsche were simply trying new things on the cars that were not final.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3414764)   #4329
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I expect that the rules are vaguely written on purpose so that they can figure out the details of how to enforce as they go.
Quote:
Article 3
The FIA reserves the right to introduce load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion.
I think the above pretty much gets at the core of my quote above. They know they can't define specifics (such as testing procedures) for all conceivable scenarios. I think it is obvious, but we all have to agree that the cars are not made from some type of mythical material that has an infinite elastic modulus. Clearly the intent or dare I say it "spirit of the rules" is to "not move within reason." But I also understand why the rules can't be worded as such. Don't give them an inch as they will take a mile. Start from absolute zero and then allow an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
IMHO there is basically no "grey area" as far as the prohibition of movable bodywork elements or parts is concerned.
I agree at least as how it is written. Maybe I didn't speak well above as to what I think the grey area is. I think is the grey area is the space between "absolute" adherence to the rules (that are physically impossible to achieve) and a reasonable application of the same rule (in which some movement is allowed/ignored). My comment above about "I can't define excessive flex, but I know it when I see it!" is clearly how this works. When it becomes (or is perceived as) a problem, then the governing body jumps in and uses their catch all rule to define testing procedures and excludes or approves a design.

Even the recent ruling regarding the movement of the front wing area by all teams speaks to this point. They know the teams are doing it for a reason (ostensibly to prevent damage to the cars via curbs or off track excursions), but they also gave some wiggle room regarding how much flex is allow beyond the normal amount that they expect to see. Typically any time testing procedures are put in place to test for movement, they never have a zero tolerance procedure (i.e. absolutely zero movement). It typically is X amount of force can result in Y amount of movement.

Quote:
So it could be that Porsche were simply trying new things on the cars that were not final.
It could be. I could be wrong. I am not a mechanical engineer (electrical by training), but by looking at that design, I don't see something engineered to prevent flex, in fact, I see the opposite. Even if that extra piece that is missing in the "flex photo" is to prevent flex, it is a poor solution for that. Maybe... they just screwed up as well. Maybe they thought it would be fine and it didn't work.

Regardless, I am not supporting contravention of the rules. But I do support playing in the grey areas as unfortunately these days that typically is where the speed is found.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 3 Jun 2014 at 13:39.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3414773)   #4330
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
As a matter of fact, one may wonder if the trailing edge of the rear bodywork wasn't "flexing" at speed already in their previous iteration, at least to a certain extent. In this previous "studio" shot (I believe this is the "test spec" as exhibited in Geneva last March), you could at least identify a supporting surface under the "engine cover":
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3414775)   #4331
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Today @LM. Hmmm...

(source: endurance-info.com)
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3414784)   #4332
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1) A toe back to the pits
2) By a Fire Safety Truck...

3) the ridiculousness of this picture. The VW Amarok is an Audi Safety Truck towing a Porsche.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3414787)   #4333
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Today @LM. Hmmm...

(source: endurance-info.com)
I get very nervous when I see photos such as this one.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3414789)   #4334
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Perhaps they just ran the tank dry
Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3414794)   #4335
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Perhaps they just ran the tank dry
Who knows ?

But they did have to work or fix something...

Old 3 Jun 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3414800)   #4336
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This support member is not visible in the picture taken at speed:

Hmm, that crop gives the impression that the main rear deck, just to the side of the pipe, has flexed downwards towards the diffuser to the point it is almost touching.

The top two pix show that there is a panel gap at the exact place where it seems to have flexed down.

Of course there could be any other reason.
Old 4 Jun 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3415154)   #4337
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
nice interview: http://www.speedchills.com/home/spee...up-to-le-mans-
Old 4 Jun 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3415232)   #4338
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
"Webber, fresh from a small job in the PR department of an energy drinks company, has finally made it back to the big leagues."

Old 4 Jun 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3415468)   #4339
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
"Webber, fresh from a small job in the PR department of an energy drinks company, has finally made it back to the big leagues."

'Just curious... What's so funny???

jimclark
Old 4 Jun 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3415469)   #4340
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Just curious... What's so funny???
I see what you did there?
Old 4 Jun 2014, 23:48 (Ref:3415492)   #4341
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I see what you did there?
Now I'm totally lost. Is that a statement or a question?
In either case, I don't understand it. I asked a question...what else was I supposedly doing???

jimclark
Old 5 Jun 2014, 00:48 (Ref:3415507)   #4342
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Now I'm totally lost. Is that a statement or a question?
In either case, I don't understand it. I asked a question...what else was I supposedly doing???
ahh ok! So the joke is that Webber's F1 stint at Red Bull was merely a small public relations job at some fizzy drinks company and that return to Porsche and Le Mans is the major leagues.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3415581)   #4343
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1) A toe back to the pits
2) By a Fire Safety Truck...

3) the ridiculousness of this picture. The VW Amarok is an Audi Safety Truck towing a Porsche.

Should have been a Toyota truck.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3415695)   #4344
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The May 2014 edition of Racecar Engineering has an article on the 919: http://gb.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issn=0961-1096&o=ext&p=8

The following explanation is given why they went for coil springs:
Quote:
The monocoque was finalized at the end of 2012 to meet with the company's schedule of rolling out the car in June, announced just before the Le Mans 24 hours. This meant that the front suspension concept was designed early, and the team opted for coil springs rather than the now-standard torsion bar layout in LMP1.

Porsche was extremely coy over its choice of layout, claiming that the kinematics, aerodynamics and stiffness caused them to go down this route. It is believed that the suspension is interlinked, not a major piece of news other than it was it was the link between front and back that was susceptible to the vibration caused by the engine difficulties in the early part of testing.
The July issue of Racecar Engineering briefly discusses the interlinked suspension.
Quote:
Porsche has developed what is considered to be a trick suspension system. It attempted to patent the system in Korea, but the patent was rejected. Unfortunately our Korean is not sufficient to work out why the application failed. "This looks like a self-levelling system to me," says our technical consultant Peter Wright. "The description seems to indicated that the levelling cylinder is in series with a spring, which connects to each end of the ARB. The suspension seems to meet the regulations, provided it has fixed characteristics." At the Spa 6 hours, Porsche had a rear damper failure, yet was able to change it quickly. "Changing a connected actuator is quite an issue, as the volume of hydraulic oil in the connecting hoses is critical," says Wright. "Also, any air in the system would affect it."
Old 5 Jun 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3415701)   #4345
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
In case people are interested, there are some good technical articles about interlinked suspensions that are currently used in F1.
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/10/17...ar-suspension/
http://somersf1.blogspot.com/2013/04...edes-fric.html
Old 5 Jun 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3415719)   #4346
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Good ..... finding out the issues before the race , I wouldnt expect anything else .
Old 5 Jun 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3415738)   #4347
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
One of the jobs still available for the LMP1 project at Porsche is Head of Suspension

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/...sach&fulltext=
Old 5 Jun 2014, 17:12 (Ref:3415825)   #4348
Articus
Veteran

I don't think the issue is "rapid turnover" or the like. It's possible that the engineers are hired on short term contracts rather than permanent positions. So Porsche is always looking for new applicants. If they think a current employee is less than satisfactory, he can be replaced. Porsche most likely has a current 'head of suspension"
Old 5 Jun 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3415913)   #4349
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't think the issue is "rapid turnover" or the like. It's possible that the engineers are hired on short term contracts rather than permanent positions. So Porsche is always looking for new applicants. If they think a current employee is less than satisfactory, he can be replaced. Porsche most likely has a current 'head of suspension"
I would agree. That current "head of suspension" might be a technical leader, but just a placeholder (maybe not a suspension expert) until they can get someone to fill the position. There might have a bit of "design by committee" in some places until they get really strong people in place. Also, I think I read that one thing they plan to focus on for next years car was suspension.

I don't know how many people work in that area (how large of pool they can pull from), but I read the position requirements and they seemed tough for me. Extensive suspension design experience with LMP or F1 plus fluent in German and English. It almost seems targeted at Audi!

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3415960)   #4350
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, they might have suspended the "head of suspension"? The suspense is killing me!

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller